PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your fish food and why?

chuckiesmalls
05-09-2016, 11:53 AM
I keep my on a shelf in room temperature but recently heard that if you refrigerate or freeze the fish seem to appreciate it more.

Anyone have any experience with this? DOes this apply to all fish food, flake included?

Thanks in advance,

CJ

DISCUS STU
05-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Yes, I read years ago in the now defunct, FAMA (Freshwater & Marine Aquarium Magazine) that refrigerating the foods help to maintain their freshness. I've been doing this ever since but it's a little easier if you don't have other people using the same fridge.

Flakes, Tetra Bits, Freeze dried tubifex, Hikari Bio Gold, etc. all go into the fridge. This probably helps as my kitchen isn't air conditioned and NJ in the summer can be a nasty combination of high heat and humidity. Not good for preserving food.

The large 10.5 oz containers of Tetra Bits are stored in the freezer and then transferred to a smaller container that is kept in the fridge. After the larger containers are opened they go back into the freezer and are stored in a Ziplock where they keep company with my frozen beef heart, blood worms, etc.

LizStreithorst
05-09-2016, 12:37 PM
I buy in bulk and always stick what won't be used within a few weeks in the freezer.

Larry Bugg
05-10-2016, 06:41 PM
I have a refrigerator in the fish room and keep food and drugs there.

warblad79
05-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Fish drawer, I used food grade black container for my flakes.

brewmaster15
05-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Refrigerating your fishfood will preserve its nutrition and palatability to the fish. Just as important though is to keep the dry foods dry. Sealed containers always and never add moisture to the container with wet fingers from feeding.

Hth,
Al

Altum Nut
05-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Fish Meds I hope. lol

...Ralph

LizStreithorst
05-10-2016, 09:38 PM
lol. I've met Mr. Bugg. I'm quite sure that he was referring to fish meds.

DISCUS STU
05-11-2016, 11:45 AM

Ditto. My Fish Meds. are kept in the fridge also.

Larry Bugg
05-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Fish Meds I hope. lol

...Ralph

LOL, too funny.

lol. I've met Mr. Bugg. I'm quite sure that he was referring to fish meds.

Thanks Liz, you are correct unless you consider Mountain Dew a drug.