PDA

View Full Version : planing a discus tank (newbie)

Reiwolf
05-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Hey, any tips for me?

I plan to set up a 450-liter (120 gallons) with discus.

Today I have a 60 gallon of Malawi and what is so best?

To have the Malawi in the new 450 liter and grow up about eight 8 cm (3 inch) discus in the 60 gallon tank where Malawi is currently, or have the discus right in the new 120 gallon where I want them in the end?

Planing to have sand and some roots in the 450-liter tank.

How fast are discus growing in a BB-tank with water changes every other day?

Sorry for my poor english:o

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 07:48 AM
I would use the brand new tank for the discus and only fill it half way as you grow them. Will be a lot less water changes on you! Also a lot easier than moving fosh and tanks all around and risking the spread of something nasty...

Use your 120 and grow them I would also grow a larger group as you have a lot of space and being new you could loose one or some. If you do things right you won't but just saying. Maybe do 10-12 if one or two stunt then you can cull and keep a njce final group. I would not worry about plants for a while if at all they need to get to the 5" mark before you consider.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Oh also if you are getting fish that small and feeding as you should for growth you are gonna wanna do bug daily changes not everyother

Reiwolf
05-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Okay, thanks for the tip. Good idea :-)

How fast they grow to 5 inches (13 cm)?
And is 5 inch consider as adult discus?
Do i have to do less waterchanges with 4 inch?

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 08:57 AM
It depends on the strain and your water conditions and all of that, types of food and feeding, many factors go in to their growth rate. There is no exact answer but someone can chime in and tell you the expected growth rates per month...

Most say 5" is a young or sub adult, if you get them as juvies and know about when they hatched...

Honestly, you have mentioned a few times about water changes and you don't seem too keen on doing them or committed. If you are looking for less changes than maybe discus are not for you? You really need to figure out your time and effort you can put in. Or if you need to do less water changes than start with bigger fish from the beginning. Growing out fish is not easy. It is time consuming and takes dedication and hard work.

Reiwolf
05-11-2016, 08:59 AM
i am ready for waterchanges .-) i am a newbie with discus :-)
Tanks for reply :-)

Akili
05-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Okay, thanks for the tip. Good idea :-)

How fast they grow to 5 inches (13 cm)?
And is 5 inch consider as adult discus?
Do i have to do less waterchanges with 4 inch?In some cases a 5 inch is considered an adult but the Discus grow six inches plus. General it takes about a year to year and a half.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 09:13 AM
If you are ready then go hard to start and then scale back. It is always recommended to do as much as you can, the more you do the more they grow, then you can scale back a bit as things adjust but I would go hard from the jump and really get them off to a god start.

Filip
05-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Here is a link from an old thread with aproximate growth rate of discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?73408-Discus-Growth-rate

You can allways get away with less WCs but the truth is that the more water you change faster and bigger they will grow.

Reiwolf
05-12-2016, 05:27 AM
ok. tnx :-)