PDA

View Full Version : My First Discus Tank: 75g w/ 40g sump

LucasCCA
05-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I going to start a journal here for my first experience with Discus.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
I am currently a sophmore in high school, and have been keeping fish for about 10 years, and have been part of the Capital Cichlid Association for the last 7 years. I have bred a wide variety of fish, ranging from angels to plecos. I just received a group of Hemichromis Cerogaster (IUCN red list) from a friend in the club which I am very excited about. I am currently running around 20 tanks and am going to finally be setting up a fish room this summer. I have been interested in Discus for awhile but never been in the right state, financially or otherwise, to keep them. I am finally ready.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
For the last month I have been reading through Simply as well as watching many informational videos. I have also talked with some of my fellow club members who keep Discus. I feel fairly prepared now, but could definitely still use some advice.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
My tank is a standard 75 gallon (to be drilled) with a 40g sump. I am going to paint the bottom and maybe the back and sides. I am planning on using it as a grow out for the group I get from Hans. It is currently running but I am going to take it down this weekend to drill it and switch out the stand, this will be done over the course of the next two weeks.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
It will be a bare bottom tank because it will be a grow out. However I am going to have some potted amazon swords, as well as chinese evergreen or pothos growing out the back to help with nitrates. I will also have have java fern growing in the sump.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
I am planning on doing a 90% change three to four times a week during the summer while they're younger and I have more time. Then switch to twice a week 90% during the school year. I am going to use tap and I have not found it necessary to age my water.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
I am building a sump using a 40g breeder and a trickle tower. In addition I am running an FX5 right now and will continue to use it with the Discus. I will also run two sponge filters that I have seeding in another tank. I will be using dual 300w Ebo-jager heaters with a digital thermometer to monitor the temp. I have a dual bulb standard t8 fluorescent fixture with 6500k bulbs.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;
- temp _____
- tank ph _____
- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _7.4-7.6_
- ammonia reading ____
- nitrite reading ____
- nitrate reading ____
- well water ____
- municipal water _yes_

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
I am not yet sure on how many I will get, but somewhere around 10-16 juveniles. I will be picking fish out at Hans' facility sometime mid to late June. I am extremely lucky to live just 45 min from the Discus Pimp.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
I am planning on feeding the Cobalt discus flake as a staple, possibly through an auto feeder. That will be 3-4 times a day, and then frozen blood worms every other day. I may end up getting some of the freeze dried blackworms, but I'll see how it goes.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
I would love it if I could eventually breed some discus, but not in any huge quantity. I am in the process of finally building a fish room, but I still would not be able to handle more than a few pairs, because I am still in school and play football.

So here are my main questions:
-How many fish should I start out with? (After they start pairing off I will most likely get rid of some.)
-Will this water change schedule be okay considering the amount of plants that I have?
-Is that feeding regime and type of foods adequate?
-How much of the tank should I paint and what color should I use?
-How often should I clean the FX5?

I'm sure I will think of a few more questions to ask later.

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Lucas

zchauvin
05-11-2016, 06:55 PM
15 +- fish, you will have to get rid of some far before they pair.

Your water change schedule and feeding regimen will not give the best results.

You can paint the whole tank or not paint the tank at all. Your choice. Color is also your choice.

Canister filter once a month with your planned feeding, if you feed correct foods ( mainly beef heart) then I would clean more often.

LucasCCA
05-11-2016, 07:27 PM
15 +- fish, you will have to get rid of some far before they pair.

Your water change schedule and feeding regimen will not give the best results.

You can paint the whole tank or not paint the tank at all. Your choice. Color is also your choice.

Canister filter once a month with your planned feeding, if you feed correct foods ( mainly beef heart) then I would clean more often.

Thank you for the advice.

Im going to do some more research into the food, and I will ask Hans. I will take your advice and most likely do a split of daily feedings with the Cobalt flake and Hans' meat mix.

I can probably get 4-5 near 100% changes per week in the summer and I could probably get 3 near 100% during the week. I am working on streamlining the process so that should help.

Thanks for the advice

LucasCCA
05-11-2016, 08:20 PM
After doing some more research, I will probably get Inland Empire's BH flake. Seems that almost everyone has something good to say about it. Can that take the place of frozen BH? Thanks

rickztahone
05-11-2016, 08:33 PM
First off, welcome to SimplyDiscus Lucas. It seems you have done quite a bit of homework.

Let me address your questions first:

"-How many fish should I start out with? (After they start pairing off I will most likely get rid of some.)

You can start with 10-16 discus if they are 2-3". Around the 4" mark you will want to sell some off to give the others space to grow. However, this would be under optimal circumstances, and so far, there are a few things you could do to make that happen, but you aren't quite there yet.

-Will this water change schedule be okay considering the amount of plants that I have?
Your water changes should preferably be more frequent, as in daily, but you can get away with a 50-60% WC daily instead

-Is that feeding regime and type of foods adequate?
I would have to say no. A good staple food is FDBW's. Bloodworms are not a good source of nutrients for discus, or any other fish for that matter. Use FDBW's as a staple alongside Beef Heart. If you are getting the discus from Hans, you can also purchase his "BH" (ground meat I believe he uses) directly. The BH is what makes discus BIG. Use flakes/pellets as a suppliment.

-How much of the tank should I paint and what color should I use?
This is very personal. You can paint all but the front pane and you will be fine. You can paint bottom only, or nothing at all. If you get pb discus, make sure you paint in the bottom is light and not dark.

-How often should I clean the FX5?"
Monthly is fine

If you change those few key things, you can be successful at growing some really nice discus.

Again, welcome to SD, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

rickztahone
05-11-2016, 08:33 PM
After doing some more research, I will probably get Inland Empire's BH flake. Seems that almost everyone has something good to say about it. Can that take the place of frozen BH? Thanks

IMHO, no, it cannot serve to replace it, but it is a great supplemental food. I have been feeding it for years.

LucasCCA
05-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the info!

I will make sure to get a bunch of Hans' BH when I get my fish.

Once I get the tank fully set up I will try out doing daily WC's, and adjust to fit my schedule.

I should be able to keep 10-12 adults in there, correct? Because the total water volume is over 110 gallons. Would it be better to start with closer to 16, or does 10 vs 16 not really make much difference?

I would like to get 3-4 of each type so that I don't end up with mixed pairs, but I still would like to have a nice variety. However by the time I actually get into Hans heaven I will probably forget ant preconceived notion of what I want.

Thand for the help,

Lucas

rickztahone
05-11-2016, 10:46 PM
If you notice in my signature I have exactly the same tank and sump size as you plan to use. I stared with 25x 1-1.5" discus and culled/sold along the way. I currently have 8 and wouldn't any more than 10, and that recommendation would be for someone that knows how to raise discus properly and has experience, not everyone can do it in their first go.

You can safely keep 7-8 discus in there without having to be overly worried about overstocking. Like I said, I have a 40g sump, but that sump is only filled with about 25g, so closer to 100g total volume.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Nice to see a young fella getting in the game and doing it the right way!!

You are getting some great advice already from solid sources and I would follow it!

Can't wait to see your progress and good luck!

Any idea what strains you are leaning towards ?

LucasCCA
05-11-2016, 11:04 PM
I was just reading through your thread, just about halfway done with it :)

Okay then, I will start with 10-12 from Hans and then either sell off a few or move them to another tank. Well that means I can afford slightly larger ones.

Would you recommend going with 4in fish if my budget allows it? I think I can afford to start with 10x4in if it's worth it.

I am going to have the trickle filter raised in the sump so I am going to be able to fill it to around 35g so that should help the bioload.

Thanks

LucasCCA
05-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Nice to see a young fella getting in the game and doing it the right way!!

You are getting some great advice already from solid sources and I would follow it!

Can't wait to see your progress and good luck!

Any idea what strains you are leaning towards ?

Thanks! I really love the hobby and I think I will love the discus side too.

My favorites are:
Leopard SS
Red SS
Fire Red
Blue Diamond
Blue PB

If I did 10 I would probably go with 2 of each type. My only concern is ending up with mixed pairs. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Thanks

rickztahone
05-11-2016, 11:30 PM
I was just reading through your thread, just about halfway done with it :)

Okay then, I will start with 10-12 from Hans and then either sell off a few or move them to another tank. Well that means I can afford slightly larger ones.

Would you recommend going with 4in fish if my budget allows it? I think I can afford to start with 10x4in if it's worth it.

I am going to have the trickle filter raised in the sump so I am going to be able to fill it to around 35g so that should help the bioload.

Thanks
the bigger you can afford the better. 4" is perfect IMHO. You can start off with 10-12 if you keep with regular daily water changes, especially if you feed BH.

Thanks! I really love the hobby and I think I will love the discus side too.

My favorites are:
Leopard SS
Red SS
Fire Red
Blue Diamond
Blue PB

If I did 10 I would probably go with 2 of each type. My only concern is ending up with mixed pairs. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Thanks

This is going to be a personal matter, but I am one to like single strain tanks. Of course I say that and I have 2 (technically 3) different strains in my tank. It wasn't necessarily intentional, but that is what it is. I know most people start with a smorgasbord of strains, but to me it just looks kind of messy. Hard to explain. More tend to go towards single or 2 strain tanks down the line typically. Just FYI

LucasCCA
05-12-2016, 07:12 AM
I see what you're saying about looking messy with too many strains. Based on what people have said about Hans' discus heaven I probably will throw any previous conceptions about strains out the window when I get there. I have awhile to decide anyway. Thanks

I'll add some pics this weekend when I take apart the tank and start on the different steps.

LucasCCA
05-12-2016, 03:07 PM
I'd say my favorite is probably the red snakeskin with the fire red not far behind. So I think I'm probably going to go with a 2 strain tank with five of each strain at 4in.

My question is what would happen if those two crossed? I know that if the red is a pb base then it might not work well since pb is dominant. But I haven't been able to find how the ss gene would show in such a cross.

Thanks

My question is

Phillydubs
05-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Save your selection for when you go, you have the opportunity to just fall in love with a fish or strain in person as opposed to the. Lee deliberate online approach so have fun with it. I think you are doing he right thing going wih like colors. I tend to mix two as well as one alone can get boring to me but again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't help you with be breeding aspect or cross. i would say go with the 4" you will be very happy going that route as a beginner.

LucasCCA
05-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Save your selection for when you go, you have the opportunity to just fall in love with a fish or strain in person as opposed to the. Lee deliberate online approach so have fun with it. I think you are doing he right thing going wih like colors. I tend to mix two as well as one alone can get boring to me but again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't help you with be breeding aspect or cross. i would say go with the 4" you will be very happy going that route as a beginner.

Sounds good. I'll just have to find something else to occupy my mind. I can't wait! I still have a ways to with the tank though, drilling etc. I will hopefully be done in time so that once I finish my exams I can finally get them. Time to stop surfing and do hw........ :)

Dhavalsp
05-13-2016, 12:53 AM
Hi Lucas , good to see you here...

And this sounds like a good project...With 4 inch discus, you are pretty much set to get the best fish possible from Hans...

All the best!

Dhaval

LucasCCA
05-18-2016, 06:38 PM
So after a few exams I am back to getting ready for the discus. I ordered the bulkheads and return pump from Jehmco this afternoon, and am going to order the drill bit off Amazon tonight. I already have just about all the parts to the sump or they have been ordered. The only thing left is a heater. I also have all the media from my FX5 that I can keep in another tank until I've drilled and painted the 75g.

So here are my questions:
What size heater? 500W?
What brand heater?
Can/should I use meadIa that I have seeded I other tanks?

Thanks for the help,

Lucas

rickztahone
05-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Man, if you ordered from Jehmco you should have just ordered 2x Jager 200w. Better to have 2 underpowered heaters than one large one.

LucasCCA
05-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Man, if you ordered from Jehmco you should have just ordered 2x Jager 200w. Better to have 2 underpowered heaters than one large one.

I was planning on 2x300w but tell person I talked to at Jehmco said that you never want 2 heaters cause 1 will always be on and end up burning out. I order from them pretty often so I will go ahead and get two EboJager with my next order. Thanks

rickztahone
05-18-2016, 09:53 PM
I was planning on 2x300w but tell person I talked to at Jehmco said that you never want 2 heaters cause 1 will always be on and end up burning out. I order from them pretty often so I will go ahead and get two EboJager with my next order. Thanks

I have 2 and have had no problems. However, I have a STC-1000 DIY heater controller that controls both the heaters and I would highly recommend you do the same. Take a look here at the tutorial:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117110-20-00-Controller-how-to-wiring-(easy)

Only difference is I used two plugs to plug in both heaters

LucasCCA
05-18-2016, 10:36 PM
I have 2 and have had no problems. However, I have a STC-1000 DIY heater controller that controls both the heaters and I would highly recommend you do the same. Take a look here at the tutorial:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117110-20-00-Controller-how-to-wiring-(easy)

Only difference is I used two plugs to plug in both heaters

Yeah, that's what he recommended, a temp controller. That is a very good write up! I'll be sure to read through it carefully and then build one for myself.

What do you think about using media from another tank?

Thanks

rickztahone
05-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Yeah, that's what he recommended, a temp controller. That is a very good write up! I'll be sure to read through it carefully and then build one for myself.

What do you think about using media from another tank?

Thanks

I am personally against it. I like starting clean and knowing that I am starting fresh every single time. Does that mean I have always done it this way? No, but I wish I would have every single time.

With that said, if you could get media from the person selling you the discus, then there is no problem. If you are buying from a sponsor, ask them to sell you a seeded sponge.

LucasCCA
05-18-2016, 10:54 PM
I am personally against it. I like starting clean and knowing that I am starting fresh every single time. Does that mean I have always done it this way? No, but I wish I would have every single time.

With that said, if you could get media from the person selling you the discus, then there is no problem. If you are buying from a sponsor, ask them to sell you a seeded sponge.
I am buying from Hans so I will ask him.

I am planning on having some potted plants, do I need to sterilize them?

Thanks for the help.

rickztahone
05-18-2016, 11:12 PM
I am buying from Hans so I will ask him.

I am planning on having some potted plants, do I need to sterilize them?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you do. I take a harsh approach to plant dipping so you may want to ask others. I use bleach for dip :)

LucasCCA
05-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going down a different route for where I am getting my fish. After seeing Kenny's select super eruptions on one of his old preorders I knew I had to have them.

I happened to come across someone (Dennis Chang) that needed to move a group of 5 of them at 5-6in (originally from Kenny). We settled on a great deal, even with shipping, and I will be receiving them the week of June 6th. I can't wait!

Now that I will be getting near adult fish and only 5 of them my water change schedule should be reduced, correct? To maybe every other day?

How often should I be feeding them since they are near adult?

Thanks

rickztahone
05-22-2016, 07:51 PM
Play it by ear. Feed good good and I would still do BH. Mine are 6" and I still feed heavy with daily WC's. If you only feed pellets and flakes you should be fine with every other day wc