PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter from malawi tank?

Reiwolf
05-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Kickstart a tank. Can I use the filter from my malawi tank in a new discus tank ? all my Malawi is healthy.

Akili
05-12-2016, 04:14 PM
I would not do that, chances of Cross-contamination are very high,go for the fishless cycle.

Reiwolf
05-12-2016, 04:44 PM
What could the Cross-contamination do?

Altum Nut
05-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Cross contamination may be tolerated by many African Cichlids but would never risk it with Discus. Although both are Cichlids...Discus tend to not do very well fighting off any nasties due to a weaker immune system.

...Ralph

Reiwolf
05-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Ok. Tnx for the answer. I have i friemd who have a tank with koi, could i seed from his filter to kickstart? Ore is that also a risk?

Altum Nut
05-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Different water sources is the key reason why it is mentioned so often here as a beginners mistake. All new fish require a quarantine period so I would not risk media from your friends Koi tank.
I myself tend to add more sponge filters then I need in my Discus tank just for this reason.
Now others my chime in to say that they received a seeded sponge filter with their Discus order but in most if not all cases it was from the same tank or on a central system.

...Ralph

Reiwolf
05-13-2016, 02:21 AM
Ok. How long will a sponge with seed survive in a closed plastic bag?