PDA

View Full Version : And now there are four....Cryptobia

Lilly
05-18-2016, 07:48 PM
I am going to try this treatment....has anyone else used this medication? Down to only four:(

http://www.texascichlid.org/archives/2004-articles/cryptobiathe-silent-menace-2/

LizStreithorst
05-18-2016, 07:58 PM
I tried it. Supposedly it will work if you diagnose the parasite right away. It didn't work for me. I treated. the fish were better for a while and then the symptoms returned. I ended up having to kill all my fish, not just the Discus but every fish in the fish room. I sterilized all my tanks and sponges with and WC equipment with Clorox It was a very hard time for me. It was worse than when I got the Discus plague years later.

May I asked who you got your fish from? I'll tell you if you tell me.

Lilly
05-18-2016, 08:52 PM
I haven't had any of my dead fish looked at by a vet so I do not have a positive diagnoses of cryptobia...So I would not want to start any "rumors" if you will.

LizStreithorst
05-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Are you sure it's not hex?

Lilly
05-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Yes.... Unfortunately...the article, though old, hits the nail on the head ...these fish have had problems from the get go...and I have been medicating for the same symptoms with metro and prazi....they are better for a while and then the same illness appears again!

Did you get a necropsy done on your fish?

LizStreithorst
05-18-2016, 09:27 PM
No. But it was not a total guess. I did every treatment. the importer told me that the exporter told him that he'd had problems with his water supply. I got mine from the same guy John Nicholson got his from. He just diagnosed the problem before I did. I sure hope you don't have do go through what I went through. It's heart breaking.

Why don't you PM Nicholson? He'll help you and will keep his mouth shut. He's a good man.

John_Nicholson
05-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Thanks Liz. Apparently I was one of the few that caught it early enough to get the cure. I highly suggest you talk to a fish pathologist. Doing so is how I was able to cure my fish.

Good luck.

-john

Lilly
05-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Thanks Liz. Apparently I was one of the few that caught it early enough to get the cure. I highly suggest you talk to a fish pathologist. Doing so is how I was able to cure my fish.

Good luck.

-john

Thanks to both of you for the response ....how do I go about finding a finding a pathologist?

These are not wild caught fish..they were all from reputable stock and breeder....

John_Nicholson
05-19-2016, 10:21 AM
These are not wild caught fish..they were all from reputable stock and breeder....

So were mine.

I used the University of Florida but you might try and contact Dr.Stephen A. Smith. He is a professor of infectious diseases of aquatic, wildlife and exotic animals in the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology in the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech. and a really nice guy.

-john

Lilly
05-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Thank you John....

I have a call into the University of CT...their fish pathologist ....da...should of thought of them sooner....wish me luck! I will let you know how things work out....and again THANK YOU!

John_Nicholson
05-19-2016, 10:30 AM
No problem. I hope it works out for you.

-john

Lilly
05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
John,
I just sent a email to Dr. Smith....Will let you know what the response is....Thank you!