PDA

View Full Version : I know its natural to fight but...

chuckiesmalls
05-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Just curious....has anyone had their discus bullied to death by another discus...?

I hear about bullying a lot but it seems to be natural pecking order and then things get sorted out.

I used to own other cichlids and literally have seem them beat the hell out of each other...does this happen with discus? I don't think Ive ever seen a discus really bite another actually, just some body slamming and what not...

I am guessing no?

Phillydubs
05-24-2016, 10:58 AM
I would answer you and help you.... But you didn't clue me in on the free Kenny Promotion.. SO I am done with you and your questions!!!

Phillydubs
05-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Kidding... Kidding... but geez, now I know who not to go to for inside info...

So, as far as your question... With discus, as far as I know, the bullying is a trigger to stress and then opens the fish up to disease... That is typically how it works, so the fish will not fight to the death like some other species may. I know what you are referring to, I had African cichlids in the past who would fight non-stop and basically kill one another...

I don't believe this occurs with discus, at least I have never experienced it... But I have, early on, with a bad and small set up, had a fish that was picked on a lot and stressed to sickness and not eating and it succumbed due to that, at least that was my observation...

The pecking order is natural and comes and goes in waves at times, it's usually rough to start and if you have the right amount to spread it out it usually levels out and isn't much of a factor...

rickztahone
05-24-2016, 11:10 AM

So, as far as your question... With discus, as far as I know, the bullying is a trigger to stress and then opens the fish up to disease... That is typically how it works, so the fish will not fight to the death like some other species may. I know what you are referring to, I had African cichlids in the past who would fight non-stop and basically kill one another...

I don't believe this occurs with discus, at least I have never experienced it... But I have, early on, with a bad and small set up, had a fish that was picked on a lot and stressed to sickness and not eating and it succumbed due to that, at least that was my observation...

The pecking order is natural and comes and goes in waves at times, it's usually rough to start and if you have the right amount to spread it out it usually levels out and isn't much of a factor...

Very well said. I have nothing to add.

chuckiesmalls
06-07-2016, 11:38 AM
I would answer you and help you.... But you didn't clue me in on the free Kenny Promotion.. SO I am done with you and your questions!!!

Thanks for the good laugh. It was a leopard..about 4 inches and a very nice gift. LOL I just didn't want to spill the beans before others got their gifts but seeing as his new list is out. It cant hurt anyone. :)

chuckiesmalls
06-07-2016, 11:39 AM

very interesting. Discus while also being so hearty at other times feel as delicate as a flower