PDA

View Full Version : Switching tanks out ..?.

melita
06-04-2016, 04:32 PM
I have a very sad scratched tank so I ordered a new 90 gallon but I am a bit nervous about the switch I have Eco complete for new substright thinking of putting. Current Pool filter sand on top I also have a whole tank full plants to replant . If I use my current filters over to new tank would this help keep tank stable with water change of course . I have 6 discus and pair Rams in old for tank .
Also I was wondering if any one keeps cockatoo cichilds I happened up on a pair when buying a friends plants as he going to sea.for some months so sold them along with plants would like to find two or. Three females for my 36 gallon .which is to be a dwarf Only tank .

Filip
06-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Seeded and established filters would be enough to keep the new tank with 100% fresh water stable.
I would put only the pfs - sand in the new tank or at least limit the plant locations in back of the tank and put eco complete only there.
All fish should be away in another tank or bucket while you tear apart your old substrate and plants.
I would also give the filters a good cleaning , couple of days before the tear down , just to start clean and fresh in the new tank.

melita
06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks yes. I plan to put them in a plastic tub and I already changed sponge on one filter the other one has preefilter so I will clean that not disturbing the other part of filter yes I agree on planting the back area leaving front with sand, need space for fish to swim and feed .

melita
06-13-2016, 10:40 AM
The discus are in new tank finally the first one got broken during shipping so I had to Waite for another to be shipped but after a week it finally arrived but not in time to be best for my plants which I bought from a friend who was moving so here I was with tons of plants in water hopping my tank would arrive, so some plants were not in great shape be time I got them in place . I used Eco complete as substright and found it difficult to get the plants to stay planted . Also found that it raised my ph so lots water changes were needed . Ordered a gravel for top but unfortunately it did not arrive so had to go ahead with out it Decided I can add top of gravel later .the background did not go on and got air bubbles in back so will have to redo that as will . but the discus are doing fine . 98750