PDA

View Full Version : ***Auction *** Fire Red Discus from The Discus Shop for SD!!!

brewmaster15
06-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello all,

Please see this thread... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?124783-Auction-Alert!-quot-The-Discus-Shop-quot-Auction-For-SimplyDiscus!!!!! for Auction Information.

We have another great Auction here for you all to get in on thanks to our New Sponsors, The Discus Shop (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?381-The-Discus-Shop-(Dennis-Chang)-Las-Vegas-NV)! Dennis of The Discus Shop was kind enough to offer us a set of 2 Large Piwowarski Fire Red Discus for us to auction with Shipping included!

You are Bidding on the Fire Red Discus only this thread,. not the Cobalts shown. They will be in a separate auction.

Shipping to any where in the USA is included to any point in the USA.. This is not a pair, but who knows, maybe you will get lucky:) I will include 50 grams Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms with the auction as a bonus.

Rules,Rules, Rules
Auction Rules: Please READ BEFORE BIDDING!!!!

1. You have to be a registered member of the forum for at least five days prior to the start of the auction (the auction starts June 8) or have at least 5 posts prior to the start of the contest.. Any bid received from a member not meeting this criteria will be deleted.

2. Bids are to be placed in the this Thread. You are bidding on the set of 2pcs Adult Piwowarski Fire Red Discus with Shipping in the USA.

3. Canadian members may participate if they can take delivery of the auction fish within the US. Please contact Dennis (The Discus Shop) prior to bidding to ensure a delivery location. Also ensure you are aware of any paperwork required to bring the fish into Canada.

4. Shipping will be included in the Auction so take that into account when you bid. (UPS next day to all locations in the USA), that alone is $100 value!

5. The auctions end on Saturday June 18 at 9:00 PM EDT (eastern daylight time). Any bid time stamped after 9:00 PM is considered null and void. Be wise, Bid early if you want to win and bid generously! Payment is due at Auction end and shall be made through Paypal. Winner will be notified at contest end.

6. We have tried to anticipate all issues and make the rules clear and concise, but should an issue or problem arise we maintain all rights to resolve it as we see fit. You agree to this by your participation in these auction.

****For this auction all Moderators and Admins with the exception of myself will be allowed to bid..***

I would like to once again Thank Dennis for his generosity and hope that the membership here makes the best of it. These are really nice Discus from a supplier that has not been too common on the forum Piwowarski .. Best of Luck to all of you!

Al

ps...

Dennis asked me to post this short clip of the Fire reds swimming with the other auction fish the cobalts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-damJ3N8r0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks all!!!

Keith Perkins
06-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Judging by the end of the dorsal fins, I'm saying these fire reds are a pair. $200

Allwin
06-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Lets make it 300$

The Discus Shop
06-09-2016, 01:45 AM
Hi SD family, these are 5.5" - 6" young adults in very limited supply. Alex will not have them in this size for quite a long while after this shipment so add them to your collection while still available!

- Dennis

Phillydubs
06-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Are these a possible pair as well??

Keith Perkins
06-09-2016, 10:49 PM
Judging by the end of the dorsal fins, I'm saying these fire reds are a pair.

Didn't trust my expert dorsal fin observations Phil? Lol, smarter than I thought.

Phillydubs
06-09-2016, 11:48 PM
I never trust the eyeball test my friend !!!

I honestly did not even see your comment! Sorry about that.

Keith Perkins
06-10-2016, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=Phillydubs;1217645]I never trust the eyeball test my friend !!![/ QUOTE]

Oh I always do...when the pair is spawning and I see the two different tubes. :)

Phillydubs
06-10-2016, 09:47 AM
You have seen that from these two Keith?

Consider me confused here... lol

brewmaster15
06-10-2016, 10:34 AM
HI Guys,
Dennis asked me to post this short clip of the Fire reds swimming with the other auction fish the cobalts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-damJ3N8r0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks all!!!

al

Phillydubs
06-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Those are some beefy beauties!!!

Keith Perkins
06-10-2016, 12:47 PM
You have seen that from these two Keith?

Consider me confused here... lol

What do you expect from a post in the middle of the night? No, haven't seen it on these two. If I had I would have already placed another bid rather than just chewing on it. Next stop, watching the video.

The Discus Shop
06-10-2016, 02:00 PM

Have not seen courtship activities yet in the reds; might take a while longer after they settle.

- Dennis

rickztahone
06-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Just to recap, the highest bid on this auction is currently $300 by Allwin! Are there snipers lying in wait? :)

Don't miss out on this great opportunity to not only get some awesome discus but also to help the forum.

Happy bidding :)

Second Hand Pat
06-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Only a couple more days left here. Get those bids in :D
Pat

ddr1981
06-15-2016, 06:27 PM
I'll go $350.

brewmaster15
06-15-2016, 07:20 PM
i'll go $350.

awesome! Thanks dan!

Al

Second Hand Pat
06-18-2016, 08:32 AM
I'll go $350.

Dan currently has the high bid, thanks Dan and the auction closes tonight. Remember the auction includes shipping. :D
Pat

Second Hand Pat
06-18-2016, 08:38 PM
Auction closes at 9:00pm tonight so get any last minute bids in.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
06-18-2016, 09:02 PM
I'll go $350.

Congrats Dan, you have won these awesome fish. I will pm you shortly.
Pat

ddr1981
06-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Congrats Dan, you have won these awesome fish. I will pm you shortly.
Pat

These are absolutely beautiful. Thanks Dennis and The Discus Shop for the donation!

Keith Perkins
06-18-2016, 09:53 PM
These are absolutely beautiful. Thanks Dennis and The Discus Shop for the donation!

Congrats Dan you got yourself a couple really nice looking fish, and thanks for sure to The Discus Shop for the generous donation.

brewmaster15
06-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Thank you so much Dan! Thanks also to all who bid and especially to Dennis and William at THE DISCUS SHOP for their generosity!

Best always ,
Al

The Discus Shop
06-19-2016, 11:37 AM
Thank you so much Dan! Thanks also to all who bid and especially to Dennis and William at THE DISCUS SHOP for their generosity!

Best always ,
Al

Congratulations Dan!! Thank you for supporting the forum by bidding on these incredible fish!! I will include an extra jumbo fire red Piwow for a total of three fish for this great cause! Will PM you to coordinate shipping. :)

Thank you Al and the SD family. This has been a great auction!

Allwin
06-19-2016, 12:14 PM
That's very nice of you Dennis and congrats lucky Dan for adding these piwows to your collection. Great score.!

ddr1981
06-19-2016, 02:02 PM
I'm beyond excited and very grateful!

Second Hand Pat
06-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Congratulations Dan!! Thank you for supporting the forum by bidding on these incredible fish!! I will include an extra jumbo fire red Piwow for a total of three fish for this great cause! Will PM you to coordinate shipping. :)

WOW, very generous of you Dennis. This could make other members wish they had put in a bid. :D
Pat

Keith Perkins
06-19-2016, 02:21 PM
WOW, very generous of you Dennis. This could make other members wish they had put in a bid. :D
Pat

Yup

LizStreithorst
06-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Congrats. You got a huge bargain on good fish. You're a lucky guy.

ddr1981
06-23-2016, 09:00 AM
They just got in and are in the QT tank. They aren't photogenic right now but I wouldn't either after spending a day in a box. Thanks again Dennis!98933

Phillydubs
06-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Very cool!! What a steal!

What are your plans for them?

rickztahone
06-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Those are some really nice looking discus. Good luck Dan and again, congrats. You got a heck of deal there!

Las Vegas
06-23-2016, 04:19 PM
98933[/QUOTE]
Ok, looking at these Discus, they don't look like the two in the pic. I see light faces, orange eyes (instead of red) and body color is mixed.

rickztahone
06-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Ok, looking at these Discus, they don't look like the two in the pic. I see light faces, orange eyes (instead of red) and body color is mixed.

Mark, have you ever had discus shipped to you?

Ask absolutely any one of our sponsors and/or buyers and they will all tell you the same. When discus come in from shipping, they always look more muted/dull. This is why Kenny and others have become accustomed to saying, "don't take pics when they first come in", simply because they don't look as great.

Altum Nut
06-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Someone did not read the reply that an additional Discus will be added as a bonus :)

Aside from that, I consider all three superb quality and would not hesitate to display them in my tank.
Color will explode once they settle in.

...Ralph

Phillydubs
06-23-2016, 05:21 PM
All very true, especially with such bright full color discus as these... you really notice the dullness of shipping but give them time and that fire will shine!

Discus-n00b
06-23-2016, 06:19 PM
What a steal Dan! Thank you The Discus Shop for such fine fish too. I'd be very happy with those in my tank. That extra jumbo is a huge bonus!!

ddr1981
06-23-2016, 08:10 PM
I really did no favors to Dennis and William at the Discus shop by taking pictures. That picture was taken within a minute or two of the fish being in the tank. They had a long ride from Las Vegas to Ohio. They look great now, full color and rounded out even though it’s been less than 12 hours. I’d also like to give Dennis and William a top-notch nod. They were very responsive and we had a nice text conversation this morning (they called but I was busy and didn’t answer). I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them. The fish are very well conditioned (big, FAT, healthy, and round).

As for my plans with the fish? I don’t know! I certainly didn’t expect to win them with a $350 bid. I sold my last (and first/only) batch of Discus because I thought I was taking a new job and didn’t want to get behind on water changes and basic maintenance. I ended up keeping my current job and needed a hobby, so I found two 29 and one 55-gallon tanks on craigslist for $100 a few weeks ago. I figured I’d grow out some Angels but wanted to make it easy, so I built a rack in the basement and (attempted) to plumb the tanks so I could do very fast water changes. Last night (12 hours before these Discus arrive) my Dad helped me drill and plumb the tanks to the water storage tank and drain. The 55-gallon tank that these fish were going in didn’t look tempered through polarized glasses but shattered when I drilled it, so it was definitely tempered. I drilled the two 29s and the storage tank without problem and we got them plumbed. When I woke up this morning, one tank was cracked and the other was leaking. The leak was from the bulkhead, which I tightened, but was still afraid to put the Discus in and leave for work. So to recap, I have $750 worth of fish arriving in minutes and 3 tanks out of commission. I moved some fish out of a 26 gallon bowfront, emptied and bleached it quickly and got it refilled just as FedEx brought the Discus. So that is why these guys are crammed in a 26 gallon tank with a dark background. I’m going to move them over to the 29 to give them a tad more room.

So back to my plan for these fish, I need to go buy another tank. Probably a 75-gallon since I’ve heard they are less likely than 55-gallon tanks to be tempered. But I’m terrified to plumb the tank after my experience yesterday. If I get a pair, I’ll try my hand at growing out fry. I probably need to pick up a few more Discus since I’ll have a solo fish if I do get a pair.

rickztahone
06-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Do you have picks on how the tank cracked? How are you drilling them and how are the 29s drilled? What location are they drilled?

ddr1981
06-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Do you have picks on how the tank cracked? How are you drilling them and how are the 29s drilled? What location are they drilled?

I don't have pics of the 55. It shattered into a million pieces so it was tempered. The 29 didn't crack during drilling. It cracked after the plumbing was hooked up to it. The sidewalls of the storage tank are slanted which made the plumbing slanted and put a bunch of pressure on the 29 gallon tank that sat under it. I am not surprised it happened and should have drilled the bottom of the stock tank and not the angled side. Here are some pictures.

brewmaster15
06-24-2016, 06:37 AM
I really want to thank Dennis and William again here. Sending the extra fire red speaks volumes as to what kind of sponsor these guys are striving to be and how much they value this community. You guys are extremely generous and professional sponsors!Thank you!

Dan sounds like you are off to a bit of rough start tank wise! Not an expert on drilling here but 75 gals from All-Glass used to be tempered glass bottoms, sides were not.

Enjoy your new fish! They are beauties!

Al

Phillydubs
06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Damn... rough start to say the least! Nice fish, not so nice outcome with those tanks!

Kudos to you first off for scrambling and making this happen with all going on...

Can I ask a question? If you only plan to run one or two tanks, do you really need to drill them if the water storage is so close? Cant you just pump over...

I know a few people felt the original 2 were a possible pair, do you know which two those are? Are you planning to keep those 2 separate or all 3 together and see what forms?

Sounds like you need to buy more discus!!! Lucky you!!!

LizStreithorst
06-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I agree, Phil.

ddr1981
06-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I planned on running 2-29s, 1-55, and 1-75 on the rack which is why I wanted to plumb them. I could just use a hose but the whole idea of putting the fish on a plumbed rack was to make daily maintenance quick and with no mess. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use hoses or drill more tanks. As far as the pair, I'm pretty confident which two are the possible pair. For now, I'm going to keep all 3 together but will probably add some more soon and isolate the pair. I just have to figure out what type to add. The Fire Reds are beautiful but I don't think I want a basement full of them, but I also want to make sure I get Pigeon-based fish in case one of these pair with the new fish.

HappyFace
01-31-2017, 10:21 PM
Those reds are gorgeous. How sad they had to close their shop.