PDA

View Full Version : What to feed and how much

guggas
06-09-2016, 11:31 AM
I feel like this topic is probably stickied somewhere, but I dont see it so feel free to give me the "read this sticky" treatment. I'm trying to learn what I can about discus on this forum in preparation for my first discus tank and one topic I dont quiet feel prepared in is feeding. Can somebody give me a quick summary of what foods I should have on hand before bringing home my fish? I know in the 'foods and nutrition' forumn there is a ton of in depth information about particular foods and recipes, but I guess I'm looking for more of an overview of, 'here is what you should be feeding' I'll take a stab at it and yall can shoot me down and straighten me out:

The proposed fish in question will be 6 approximately 5" discus in a BB tank, i may also have some various tetras in there.

1. flake food in the morning, enough for them to eat up in a few minutes.
2. Some sort of beefheart mix after I get home from work around 6pm and then a quick vacuum of whatever beefheart doesnt get eaten or a large waterchange.

Is two feedings a day sufficient or do i need to get my wife to feed them lunch also?

chuckiesmalls
06-11-2016, 11:48 AM
just make sure protein is the bulk and you feed them variety...

Many say Beefheart, beefheart, beefheart...I am trying this out now

Akili
06-11-2016, 12:33 PM
I sugest you add a feeding of Freeze Dried Black Worms a couple of hours after the 6 PM feed. At least about an hour before lights go off.

DISCUS STU
06-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Looks like you have the right info. here. Protein based foods, beefheart is good, and other foods that have a minimum of 40+% are recommended.

The primary ingredient is always in this order; clean water, clean water, and then food.

nofearengineer
06-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Just "food" for discussion...I have actually weighed out the dry food (Hikari Bio-Gold) I am feeding mine. They probably get 0.5-0.75 grams per fish per day. (5.5" adult wilds) I just had never seen anyone mention weight of food, and wanted to experiment a little. It seems for now to be about perfect with 100% water changes every 2 days. Feed more, change more, etc.

All figured out over a long, 2-week hobby of discus keeping, so take it with a grain of salt hehe.

monilovesdiscus
07-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Question: I bought some freeze dried brine shrimp but didn't know if it's better to put it in water and let it hydrate for a good five minutes then add it, or can I just put the cube in the tank. I've heard freeze dried absorbs water and I don't want to bloat up my fish. I'm using this as a snack as opposed to the main food.