PDA

View Full Version : question on filtration, tank, occupants, etc

Edfire4
06-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Ive been out of the keeping discus hobby for about 10 years now and I want to purchase some in the coming weeks. I have a 180 cube tank in my living room that was a saltwater tank about 5 years ago. Currently, its a freshwater tank with 4 angels, three rams, a handful of roominess tetras and neons and a albino bn pleco. The gravel is about 1 1/2" deep and has a stack of mopani wood in the center. The 70 gallon sump is in my basement. The sump has 3 large sponge filter powered by an air pump and also there are two Aquaclear 110's hanging on the sump. Plus there is filter media to catch anything before its goes into the return pump. Water changes consist of vacuuming the gravel weekly and normal top offs from evaporation. All in all, i would say my water change is about 40% a week. I would like to get observations on filtration, number of 4" discus I can put (Im thinking maybe 6-8) in the tank. This is just going to be a display tank since its in the living room. The fish currently will be relocated to one of my other tanks in the house. Thanks in advance for advice.

rickztahone
06-10-2016, 10:53 PM
I would probably remove some of that gravel if not all of it. However, if you were to do that, be prepared for a huge ammonia spike. With the amount of stock you currently have, you could easily do 6-8 discus I think, however, you will probably have to do more frequent water changes.

Welcome to the forum Ed.

Willie
06-27-2016, 01:29 PM
4" discus won't grow in a tank with gravel and 40% weekly water changes. If you're fixed on these requirements, get some 6 - 7" discus. Otherwise, you'll end up with 4" discus with enormous eyes from stunting.

jmf3460
06-27-2016, 01:44 PM
my vote, is to switch the gravel to sand, and go biotope style with the wood you already have as well as perhaps some new manzanita wood and some tannins. Sand is much easier to siphon from. You could likely keep your current stock with the discus, perhaps move the angels but the GBR, tetras and bn pleco are a good match for discus. I don't know what a roominess tetra is but maybe you mean rummynose?? Perhaps you could post a picture of your current tank?? It sounds like your filtration is spot on, even more than what you might need. I think you should go with adult discus. 5-6" and larger would suit best. Keep in mind, water changes are a must, perhaps try upping your regimen up to 3 times a week at 40%, that is if you get adult fish.

jim LI
06-27-2016, 02:06 PM
I just switched from gravel to sand, so much easier to maintain.