PDA

View Full Version : Trichlorfon Discus have gone pale white/grey colour

axl10
06-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Treated tank yesterday with Trichlorfon on advice from someone for gill flukes, had 2 air pumps running and noticed late yesterday that there eye colour had changed. Thought that would be the medication all looked good burt this morning i went out to check them and s*** they have all gone white/grey colour. The look terrible so i have just done a 100% wc and hopefully they will recover!!!! I have never seen discus go that bad from a medication i have got my doubts about doing the second treament. Is this normal?????
I'm bvery concerned they won't recover
Cheers Axl

discuspaul
06-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Why have you treated your fish with Trichlorfon - a seemingly quite toxic insecticide ? - I'm afraid there's little hope for your discus.

warblad79
06-19-2016, 10:34 PM
You should have use PP instead

Second Hand Pat
06-19-2016, 11:27 PM
A quick search yielded this http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/meds/medication9a3.html but it become unstable in ph above 7.0. Best to past on this one.
Pat

nevsfish
06-20-2016, 12:32 AM
triclorfon will also kill your filter bacteria,a very nasty chemical.i would not use it again.check that your bio filter is still working by doing a nitrite test,i had a friend who used the same chemical and his tank had a bio crash

axl10
06-20-2016, 01:18 AM
people have used on it before with great results on gill flukes in Discus. Its sold here in Australia called blue planet Paracide. Hopefully they will recover

axl10
06-20-2016, 01:21 AM
You should have use PP instead

Once they recover from this that is my next step is treat the tank with a PP, its was advice on another forum that has great results on discus before.

With a PP treament do you do 4 treaments with every treament four days apart. Treat tank at 2ppm for 4 hours topping up colour slighty if it turns brownish colour. Then do a WC after treament?

DJW
06-20-2016, 01:21 AM
It looks like something to shy away from, but I found this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?69105-Success-w-Trichlorfon

axl10
06-20-2016, 02:25 AM
It looks like something to shy away from, but I found this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?69105-Success-w-Trichlorfon

I did my home work after reading the same post last week and purchased some Trichlorofon and this is what has happened to my discus. I will be interested to see what there like when i got home. I checked them 2 hours after the 90% wc and they had improved in colour then. So fingers crossed in 30 minutes

brewmaster15
06-20-2016, 09:15 AM
The going pale is a side effect of using Trichlorofon. Its technically a neurotoxin and thats probably why it affects the color as it does. They should recover in a few days if they weren't over dosed.

Best always,
al

nc0gnet0
06-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Triclorophon is the active ingredient in clout, as well as anti-fluke live bearer.

smsimcik
06-20-2016, 11:02 AM
I've used it years ago for flukes and saw the same thing in my fish. They stopped eating and got very pale until the water was changed and the drug removed. They returned to normal after a couple of days.

It's an organophosphate neurotoxin as Al stated. I also read most flukes have developed resistance to it and it's not very effective aganist them anymore. It's probably more toxic to the fish than it is to flukes.

ozone
10-25-2016, 06:58 AM
I have had flukes for three weeks and tried prazi and formalin none worked.Two of my fish were about to die so I decided to get the chemical weapons out and hit them with the masoten(trichlorofon)two virtually recovered on the spot and one got the poisoning..a pidgeon blood. I took him out of the tank and put him in a tank with salt...no masoten! the two sickest were on deaths door before the trichorfon and one has made a recovery. Prazi is harder to get than trichlorofon down under it is the number one parasite med recommended by the LFS. He is pale as a ghost the pidgeon blood but when faced with watching your pals die extremities sometimes are the only choice. I think there should be a special flukes section on this forum because I have had discus for 30 years and have never seen such bad flukes. And it's funny you should mention flukes have an immunity because in the past the prazi worked within 48 hours no worries! Trichlorfon a 70/30 risk in my book..dangerous

brewmaster15
10-25-2016, 07:51 AM
I have had flukes for three weeks and tried prazi and formalin none worked.Two of my fish were about to die so I decided to get the chemical weapons out and hit them with the masoten(trichlorofon)two virtually recovered on the spot and one got the poisoning..a pidgeon blood. I took him out of the tank and put him in a tank with salt...no masoten! the two sickest were on deaths door before the trichorfon and one has made a recovery. Prazi is harder to get than trichlorofon down under it is the number one parasite med recommended by the LFS. He is pale as a ghost the pidgeon blood but when faced with watching your pals die extremities sometimes are the only choice. I think there should be a special flukes section on this forum because I have had discus for 30 years and have never seen such bad flukes. And it's funny you should mention flukes have an immunity because in the past the prazi worked within 48 hours no worries! Trichlorfon a 70/30 risk in my book..dangerous

Are you sure you are dealing with flukes? Honestly Flukes on medium size to adult discus are an irritant to them but rarely cause fatalities, except maybe in extreme cases where they allow the fish to contract a bacterial gill infection. I'm wondering if you are dealing with something else like a Protozoan.

al

pitdogg2
10-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Triclorophon is the active ingredient in clout, as well as anti-fluke live bearer.

so there must of been more of that ingredient in the old "fluke tabs" back in the Aquarium Pharmaceutical days. I never used it on my Discus back in the day as I was told by too many it was very toxic to them.

I did once upon a time buy some powder from Marc Weiss when he imported Discus. It was a powder that didn't dissolve in water and just moments after you put it in a filter bag the fish would start coughing like. 2 days later you took out the filter bag and WC and Carbon and all flukes were gone.
I have benn trying to remember what that stuff was and if it is still made. White powder that looked like very small BB's. Took very little to do the trick.

brewmaster15
10-25-2016, 12:15 PM
so there must of been more of that ingredient in the old "fluke tabs" back in the Aquarium Pharmaceutical days. I never used it on my Discus back in the day as I was told by too many it was very toxic to them.

I did once upon a time buy some powder from Marc Weiss when he imported Discus. It was a powder that didn't dissolve in water and just moments after you put it in a filter bag the fish would start coughing like. 2 days later you took out the filter bag and WC and Carbon and all flukes were gone.
I have benn trying to remember what that stuff was and if it is still made. White powder that looked like very small BB's. Took very little to do the trick.

One of the problems with trichlorfon is that it will kill adults but not eggs and critter do get immune to it.
al

Honestly, A salt dip works better and there very little/no real chance of drug resistance building up as it kills mechanically.

pitdogg2
10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
One of the problems with trichlorfon is that it will kill adults but not eggs and critter do get immune to it.
al

Honestly, A salt dip works better and there very little/no real chance of drug resistance building up as it kills mechanically.

That is also a problem with the PraziPro. When I was talking to my vet he told me the whole reason this is now marketing to the fish trade is that most dog/cat tapeworms have become immune to it. It was called Droncit then and it is still available for Dogs/Cats but chances are you will need something else. Enjoy it while we can but it will not be long before it also be like antibiotics with two much over/under use it will become useless.

Salt dips work very well for many things as it causes the critter to over/under osmo regulate itself.:)