PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Balls vs what?

guggas
06-19-2016, 08:32 PM
So I'm setting up my first discus tank, it will be a 90-120 gallon tank. I have an old wet-dry I plan to use that currently holds 3.3 gallons of bio balls. I haven't ran the filter since about 2004 but I've heard a lot about bio balls not being that great anymore. I figure if I'm ever going to use something else now would be the time. What would you do? use the bio balls or use something else? I'm not real familiar with whats all on the market these days.
Also, can someone recommend a return pump? How many gph should I be looking at or "turnover per hour" What are the favorite brands of return pumps these days? Thanks

rickztahone
06-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Do you have a pic? People tend to not use wet/dry as much any more. I've been looking at getting some siporax

guggas
06-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Cant find any good pics of it online but here is a video I found of a 75 version (mines the 125). So is wet/dry not so good for discus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmw35hNySqI

farebox
06-20-2016, 05:29 AM
I'm using MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 1 1/2” Spheres in my sump. Highly recommend this product vs ole school bio balls. I have 125G tank using an Mag 9.5 (950 gph) return water pump.

gators111
06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I just set up a used 90 gallon that came with a 30 gallon wet/dry that had bio balls about a month ago. I replaced some of the bioballs with a Marinepure spheres and placed a MP block under the egg crate. Just make sure you rinse MP good with dechlorinated water. Bioballs are okay, they just don't have the surface area of MP and they dry out much quicker, in case of a power outage. The stuff isn't cheap and the fake stuff has contaminates. I also have a Mag 9.5 with a gate valve that I have closed down about 1/3 of the way.