PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new discus tank

LittleT2884
06-24-2016, 12:30 AM
I used to have a 55 ga planted tank (standard tank) with 4 discus + a filler fish that thrived for several years before I had to sell them for reasons outside my control.

I've just gotten to a point in my life that I can have a a good setup again. I'm thinking of getting a corner tank around 50 ga and was just curious of everyone's thoughts on them. I plan on doing 2-4 discus again and having it planted. One question I had was about LED lights. Those weren't common when I originally had a tank, so I don't know if those are valid light options or not. Are LED lights good for planted tanks and what are some helpful hints about them?

Loosir
06-24-2016, 01:20 PM
I would make sure whatever size to pick is not too tall, I know corners often have a smaller foot print and more height. This is tough for two reasons, less room for the discus to swim straight, risking them slamming into the glass. And it's also much harder to wipe down the sides near the bottom without actually leaning into the tank. Just my thoughts, I think they make short ones.

Dhavalsp
06-24-2016, 08:34 PM
i like those corner tanks, arced ones. There is a thread in this section where one has done a very successful setup with planted and other tank mates and probably 3-5 discus. try searching for it. i will post the link here if i find it.

Lot of LEDs are available in the market now...the quality and price pretty much goes hand in hand. Finnex and Current USA have a good rep. Given that you are going for a corner tall tank, it will be tall and you will need a good strong light.

I agree with Geoff, they are difficult to clean, but given that you are going to plant it, I assume you will have plecos and other cleaners in the tank to take of that business partially.

Good luck!