PDA

View Full Version : Had a jumper!

William1
06-27-2016, 10:49 AM
I made the mistake of putting my hand in the tank too suddenly and one guy got startled and went through the ceiling tile grate. I thought he jumped out, but didn't see him anywhere. A little later I heard something in the kitchen, the next room, like an animal moving. I went in and looked around and didn't see anything. A little bit later I heard it again and I'm like, is that a mouse or something? Went back into the kitchen and there was a discus laying on the floor. He must have flopped into the kitchen. I scooped him up with my hands and dropped him into the tank. He was stunned at first, but this morning seems fine. He has a couple marks on his sides, but is eating and acting normal. He was out of the water for probably thirty minutes! I didn't expect him to bounce back so fast, if at all. What a relief. Tough fish these wild discus.

Second Hand Pat
06-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Wow, you got lucky. Hope he continues to do well.
Pat

jmf3460
06-27-2016, 11:07 AM
your discus jumped out, flopped into another room, chilled out of water for 30 minutes and survived???

William1
06-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Yes he did. It may have been a bit more. I even did a 20 gallon water change during the time he was out. He seems fine right now. It wasn't easy giving him mouth to mouth resuscitation. Don't think either of us needs to relive that episode again. Dude could use some mouthwash.

DISCUS STU
06-27-2016, 03:04 PM
You're very lucky. Kind of a horrible sight to see dead Discus on the floor.

One of mine once jumped out of a 90 gal. during the night and directly into a bucket of RO water that I had next to the tank. When I couldn't find it the next morning I just looked down and there it was, alive and well. Also a Wild fish.

Phillydubs
06-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Wow... that is quite impressive and lucky!!!!

William1
06-27-2016, 04:05 PM
I was sure it was toast. I put him back in the tank and he just hung near the surface upside down. I tried to grab his tail and give him the old muskie catch and release technique, working him back and forth to get oxygen through his gills. He slipped away and has been seemingly fine since. Amazing. Great story on the high diver.

rickztahone
06-27-2016, 09:46 PM
None of this happened without pics ;)

William1
06-28-2016, 07:36 AM
He was on the floor for at least thirty minutes. I actually think it was more like forty. I changed water when the tank still was lit. He jumped shortly before that. I have the LEDs that dim slowly at night giving the sunset effect. And come on slowly in the am. This takes about forty minutes. The fish went back in the tank when the lights were almost off. He is perfectly fine. Has a couple rather insignificant marks on his side. No noticeable change in behavior. He is a tough guy. I like tough guys.

jmf3460
06-28-2016, 08:47 AM
this fish is getting bigger and bigger as the story goes on. he probably did a double backflip with three quarters twist in the inverted pike position on his way down, then stood up on his fins and texas two stepped into the kitchen where he had French toast and scrambled eggs for dinner before asking to be put back in his tank.

William1
06-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Well, now that you mention it, he was wearing a stars and stripes speedo. And a crash helmet.

jmf3460
06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
:)

William1
06-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Everyone needs a hero. I've finally found mine.

I was thinking of naming him aqualung, but that is a bit cumbersome. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Maybe patches, because of the slight scuff marks on one side. But I think I'll just stick with Willie, the street fighter. That's a righteous bull gang name right thea. Yeah buddy.

Honestly, he's one of the friskiest guys in the tank. I can't believe it either. It's no bs when I say he was on the floor for thirty minutes minimum. I think after changing water I watched the second half of a Xena Warrior Princess (who has since dropped down in my hero status rating after Willie proved his mettle) episode I needed to get through before I realized I had a flopping fish that needed help. He was barely moist when I picked him up.
Actually the dimming Led light is a measure of time.

I may try to get a pic of him and his battle scars later. Such a stud. Cheers, BK

Jack L
06-28-2016, 10:29 PM
someone on this board had a fish jump into fire and live....that still wins....

William1
06-29-2016, 09:42 PM
I think he's in love. That can either make you want to make a leap for freedom or give you the strength to get back home. Willie is one of the most active fish in the tank. He's a lover, and a fighter. And I'm glad he's mine. I
have a pic from this morning showing his battle scars. He's got them on both sides. But now I can't figure out how to crop again. My last post on this. Willie's my new hero. Long may he swim.
Cheers, BK