PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

Patrick@1
06-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Setting up my first Discus tank and I have a heater question. The tank is 125 gal room temp is 72 to 75 degrees and I'm trying to make sure I have an adequate heating plan. I am looking at using 2 300w EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heaters will this work. If not any suggestion would be great!

Thanks,
Patrick

donnacona
06-27-2016, 01:08 PM
I agree with your choice 100 %
Stu

jim LI
06-27-2016, 02:03 PM
You can also use 2 Hydor inline 300 watts if you don't want the heaters in the tank.

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 02:23 PM
I was very disappointed in the last Eheim Jager heaters I bought. I use them in my 250 gallon water storage containers only.

I have actually had better luck with cheaper heaters than the more expensive ones. I'm using mostly Won heaters now and as my other heaters fail I will replace them with Won's. I got mine from Jhemco and they are cheap as dirt and have been very reliable. Their glass is thick kike the Eheim Jagers which is a good thing when they get buffeted around on the bottom of my BB tanks during WC.

mlov1022
06-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Having good success with Aqueon Pro heaters.

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 03:15 PM
I like them too but the dial to set the temp is hard for me to read.

Phillydubs
06-27-2016, 03:29 PM
I am a big fan of the aqueon pro's myself Marc. I am so anti glass heaters anymore so those are my go to... However, I concur with liz that the dial temp is hard to read and adjust and can be annoying... I usually play with mine in a bucket of water first or an aging barrell... once it is set up I then transfer it to a tank to be sure its going to get to the temp I need and hold...

OP- 2 300w may be a lot, not that its a bad thing but just saying you don't have to go as big IMO but can't go wrong that way... Someone may want to help you or tell you how to wire in a controller... I've had a few people tell me I should do this when running 2 heaters...

gunnerschh2
06-27-2016, 03:36 PM
I have used 2 cobalt heaters for a year now & really been happy.They are a little expensive but aren't made in china.Worth checking into. Harry

Patrick@1
06-27-2016, 03:45 PM
What does a controller accomplish? Do I buy one or make it?

Phillydubs
06-27-2016, 03:47 PM
It helps balance the heat I believe, so they are in sync and you don't fry them... I have run 2 heaters at the same time before with no controller, but most people say do it, its cheap and easy...

Sorry I can't be more help, if you search the topic here you will prob find a lot more info or someone will chime in and help...

jim LI
06-27-2016, 04:03 PM
I use the ETCI-1R controller with 2 outlets. i plug both heaters into the controller, and set the heaters 2 degrees higher than the controller is set. that way both heaters share the load and 1 heater isn't carrying most of the load when not using a controller.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

I have also used the aqueon pro heaters. i have them in my community tank.

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I understand that a controller is the way to go but I'm not smart enough to wire my own and a controller cost as much as a reasonably priced heater. I have a ton of tanks. It would just cost me too much.

Patrick@1
06-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Can you run multiple heater without a controller? What are the problems without a controller?

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Yes you can but you should keep a spare heater around. With 2 heaters if one sticks on you won't cook the fish and if one up and quits they won't freeze.

Darrell Ward
06-27-2016, 05:46 PM
If there is one thing I have learned over the years, is that no matter what heater system you use, sooner or later it will fail! I've even had controllers fail, and kill incredibly expensive fish by boiling them alive! Smells horrid by the way! The best you can do is watch your tanks carefully, and catch any equipment problems before they do any real damage.

DJW
06-27-2016, 05:51 PM
I got tired of the willy-nilly behavior of heaters, and now in some tanks I have a controller running two heaters. And a hi-lo temp alarm. I think this is the best way to heat a tank, but not the cheapest way. This old house gets cold at night and sluggish heaters won't cut it.

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 06:48 PM
If there is one thing I have learned over the years, is that no matter what heater system you use, sooner or later it will fail! I've even had controllers fail, and kill incredibly expensive fish by boiling them alive! Smells horrid by the way! The best you can do is watch your tanks carefully, and catch any equipment problems before they do any real damage.

I've never had a controller so have never had one fail, thank God. People swear bu them, though.

I say that the OP will be fine if he uses 2 250 or 300 watt heaters in his 125 and buys a spare. You never know when one will decide to stick on or one will slam quit. If he sticks his hand in the water every day and gets used to the correct temp. he will be able to tell. All heaters are problematic. It has become a fact of life.

Patrick@1
06-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the feed back!

Paul Sabucchi
06-28-2016, 08:56 AM
I think controllers are a good insurance against heaters sticking and poaching your fish. STC-1000 are cheap (you can probably have them shipped fro China for less than 10 bucks (just make sure they send you the right voltage, the last 220v i ordered arrived as 110v) and not only can you set them to cut off the heaters if they stay on, you can also have them controll cooling. I wired mine so that the heaters are set at a certain temp (24 for apisto, 26 for mbuna) but if the water goes above that by one degree the controllers cut it out and if it does up a further degree it turns on the fans... Again worth a small expense and a few minutes wiring to have the peace of mind your fish will not end up boiled. Ciao

gordo33
06-30-2016, 02:44 PM
I recently wired a controller for 2 250 watt heaters for a new 125 gal set up. It was not difficult. The sticky on this forum is a good reference . For visual instruction I searched you tube STC 1000 DIY and found a few good videos. Just another" peace of mind " quality control that is important for discus keeping. My prior experience with wiring was minimal at best. Total cost was under 40 dollars.

DOJOLOACH23
01-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Wanted to add onto this thread rather than make a new one so hopefully I can get a decent answer.

I've read the sticky on controllers and want to invest in this Finnex model http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+29387&pcatid=29387
This will be running a 150 Watt heater on a 55 gallon.

From my understanding I set the heater of choice to a temperature less than its maximum by at least 2 degrees. Then the controller somehow recognizes the heater failing and will shut off the heater at a designated high temp, or give warning to a temp too low. This finnex model even has sound alert.

I was only planning to use one heater but could use two if needed, theyre only 30-40 bucks.

What do you all think?