PDA

View Full Version : Pump faster pls!!

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Im upgrading from a 65g to 100g. Rinsing out new tank. There has to be a faster way to pump the water out other then my sink. I pay for water and running a tap constantly during siphoning is gonna be expensive when i change to daily w/c

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Use an inline pump. I use an expensive one with a brushless motor and drain the my tanks fast via a hole through the fish room wall to the out of doors. For someone with few tanks I would recommend one of the larger Mag Drive pumps. I have a mag drive 5 pump for the 125 at my shop. It's pretty fast and lasts a very long time. I've had mine for like 12 years. I also have a smaller one for when I need to set up QT in the kitchen. My QT tank is only 30 gallons so it doesn't take long to drain and refill from it's dedicated water storage container. It will last forever because I so rarely buy new Discus.

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Ok this is a sample of a cheapie first thing i saw. What do the numbers mean. What do i look for when searching ?

ABS Ultra-quiet DC 12V 3M 240L/H Brushless Submersible Water Pump High Qualtiy IP68 4.2W aquarium pompe aquarium E#CH

LizStreithorst
06-27-2016, 07:11 PM
You just have one single tank. Buy a Mag drive 5. I need very powerful pump because I have an entire fish room. Magdrives work a treat for one or two tanks. Your link didn't work for me.

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Its not a link. I thought you could tell me something from the title.

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 07:19 PM
The site i order from doesnt have mag drive so i was seeing if they have something comparable

DJW
06-27-2016, 07:21 PM
That's just a little bitty pump with a little bitty price. You want one that will do 500-1000 gallons per hour. Some people find that putting the hose out the window gives enough drop to get good siphon flow.

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Is that what the 240l/h stands for..... ok got it

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 09:12 PM
My fish tank is in my bedroom/woman cave lol and its in the basement so gravity is against me. Which leads me to my second question. The only sink i can hook up to is on the next floor up so my siphoning stinks. Is there something out there that can help

Altum Nut
06-27-2016, 11:10 PM
I think it will be a cheaper option to plumb a plastic sink. Basements have the main source of water supply line and drain.
If you know a handy man or women...this can be done fairly cheap and will serve your purpose.

...Ralph

jim LI
06-28-2016, 08:56 AM
There are 2 things I have done. 1 is to have a bucket and siphon into the bucket, then carry the bucket to my tub and dump it out. my back hurts. so i got 20 feet of hose, attached it to my siphon tube and run that into my tub or out onto my patio. no running water from the sink.

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
There are 2 things I have done. 1 is to have a bucket and siphon into the bucket, then carry the bucket to my tub and dump it out. my back hurts. so i got 20 feet of hose, attached it to my siphon tube and run that into my tub or out onto my patio. no running water from the sink.

Thanks for the tips. thats what im doing now. Im draining into tub. Was hoping there was something i could attach to the Upstairs sink for better suction.

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 10:00 AM
I think it will be a cheaper option to plumb a plastic sink. Basements have the main source of water supply line and drain.
If you know a handy man or women...this can be done fairly cheap and will serve your purpose.

...Ralph

Would putting a sink down here give me more suction the siphoning into tub down here?

Maybe my suction wouldnt be a problem anymore when i switch to sand as everthing sits on top?

Altum Nut
06-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the tips. thats what im doing now. Im draining into tub. Was hoping there was something i could attach to the Upstairs sink for better suction.

There is something...a large expensive pump in order to siphon to the second floor.
Is there no floor drain in the basement? There should be one which is building code.

...Ralph

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Ralph..
Ive stated thread for my "3d background project" check it out sometime along the way. Trying to pist my first pic. How do i post a pic from my phone?

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Yes. Just suctioning to bottom of gravel isnt the best thats all. I can put up with it tho. I have been for five years now. So do i vision this right? I have pump and hose draining tank and siphone with second hose?

Altum Nut
06-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Sorry I replied the same time as you posted...
If you have a tub downstairs then you have a drain. In that case you can attached a Mag pump as Liz mentioned. How far away is the tub from your tank will determine pump size requirement.
The sink / taps will offer a suitable connection for your hose w/c water supply.

...Ralph

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Sorry I replied the same time as you posted...
If you have a tub downstairs then you have a drain. In that case you can attached a Mag pump as Liz mentioned. How far away is the tub from your tank will determine pump size requirement.
The sink / taps will offer a suitable connection for your hose w/c water supply.

...Ralph

Ok i got the pumpingfigured out. My drain hole is only about ten feet outside of the room.

But the mag doesnt have anything to do with siphoning does it?

If we posted at same time, did you see my response about my journey thread?

LizStreithorst
06-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Yes. You can use the mag drive for siphoning.

jim LI
06-28-2016, 03:54 PM
has anyone ever used this pump for a siphon pump http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Universal_Hobby_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_H our_Submersible_Aquarium_Pumps-Eheim-EH1046-FIWPSBUF-vi.html in line with a siphon tube similar to this? http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquarium-maintenance/top-fin-aquarium-gravel-vacuum-zid36-16747/cat-36-catid-300018?var_id=36-16747. it takes me 25 to 30 minutes for a 50 gallon siphon now and i am looking to shorten that time.

Thanks,
jim

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 09:06 PM
That one only does 79 gallons per hour. Theres bigger models listed there tho

Bc chick
06-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Yes. You can use the mag drive for siphoning.

Do all submergable pumps act as a siphoner or does it need to specify....sorry i dont know much about pumps

Jack L
06-28-2016, 10:27 PM
i'm not a pump expert, but if you are trying to speed up siphoning by using a pump, then i would expect any pump to work and speed up the process, you are pumping downhill so the pump will just have a really easy time of it and speed up the draining process.

you also can get some larger diameter hose

i just use 1/2" vinyl hose, out a window, it is a about a 6 food drop. i can dump 50 gallons in 15 mins or so.

Jason.M
06-29-2016, 09:57 AM
I got one of these rain barrel pumps for refilling from my aging barrel. Works great.
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/500gph-rain-barrel-pump-kit/6000088768011?cmpid=PPC_Google_Search_Dynamic-Search_EN_285599082_20910989202_m_1t1_100092008531 797_None&gclid=CJDYtdaxzc0CFYOBaQodCpoPXQ

Bc chick
06-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Thx everyone

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Well i bought a pump. I think the wrong one. Pumped out water but i dont understand how its supposed to act as a siphoner. Is there supposed to be a dual hook up for two hoses? What am i missing here?

LizStreithorst
06-30-2016, 03:29 PM
If it pumps water out it is siphoning. If you could post a pic of your pump I can figure it out for you.

Altum Nut
06-30-2016, 04:30 PM
Well i bought a pump. I think the wrong one. Pumped out water but i dont understand how its supposed to act as a siphoner. Is there supposed to be a dual hook up for two hoses? What am i missing here?

It appears we are not on the same page.

The pump we recommend will assist you with draining tank and/or filling from a source of a water aging container.
I think you simply want to use a hose with a pump so you have control when syphoning debris at bottom of tank much quicker? Just as I would use via gravity flow but with no pump that takes longer to drain for me.

So long as your pump does not have to be submersible in water...you can add on the inlet (water coming in) a long enough hose where pump remains on the floor and hose that you hold reaches inside tank to have control where your syphoning.
The outlet end of pump (water pumps out) you add another hose that goes to the drain.

When filling tank, unless your aging your water in a container where pump is needed to transfer water to tank...you will only need to add a hose to your tap faucet (no pump required).

Let us know if you understand as we are here to help in anyway to get it right.

...Ralph

LizStreithorst
06-30-2016, 04:47 PM
I've read about her water situation. She needs to age.

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 04:56 PM

Ahhhh thats what i meant by dual hook up sorry. So thats my problem. I only have a output. So im assuming its wrong. I need to find one that has two hose hook ups. Sorry bad at explaining but i think i got the pic.

LizStreithorst
06-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Did you buy a sump pump? It sounds like it.

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 04:58 PM
I've read about her water situation. She needs to age.

? Im trying to pump out faster while getting better suction than siphong along

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Nope. Aquarium but im now figuring out it just sucks from bottom. You told me about a mag drive. Is that a type or brand?

DJW
06-30-2016, 05:19 PM
If you post the make & model of the pump.... some come with a screen over the intake and by removing the screen you can attach a hose to the intake.

LizStreithorst
06-30-2016, 05:25 PM
It's a brand.