PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Travel tip from Chicago airport to the show site

Keith Perkins
07-01-2016, 11:53 AM
If you are flying into Chicago for the NADA show there is one MAJOR thing you don't want to do, take a city based cab from the airport to the show site. City based cabs will charge you as if they took you downtown and then back out to Lombard which will end up costing you double. Three options of what you should do:

1). Call American Taxi at 847-255-9600 when you arrive at O'Hare. This option costs about $37 and is the cheapest for couples.
2). Call Windy City Limo Service in advance and make a reservation at 866-949-4639 if you're arriving between 6AM and 8PM Sunday - Friday and interested in a shared ride option for $31. This is the cheapest option for individuals.
3). Catch a cab outside the airport but ASK BEFORE you get in the cab if they are city based or suburban based. If they are city based don't use them, and ask them if they can point you in the direction of a suburban based one.

discuspaul
07-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Many thanks for the info Keith.

I understand the charge for a suburban cab from O'Hare to Westin Lombard is a flat $40. but I may be wrong.

Keith Perkins
07-01-2016, 12:59 PM
That could be Paul, I was given an average and it's cheaper to go to the airport than travel from it.

RogueDiscus
07-01-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm flying in Thursday morning arriving 6:40 am, then shuttling over to Dollar for a car rental. If someone needs a ride around then, I'd be willing to help.
Steve

Disgirl
07-01-2016, 03:18 PM
You mean there is no hotel shuttle bus/van?? Very surprised at this. I am traveling alone and really don't want to take a cab or limo at all. Can one of the local NADA folks perhaps pick me up and I will pay them to take me to the hotel? I am arriving at the airport mid afternoon on Wed. Some other ladies may feel the same as me. Thanks!
Barb

RichT
07-01-2016, 03:36 PM
You mean there is no hotel shuttle bus/van?? Very surprised at this. I am traveling alone and really don't want to take a cab or limo at all. Can one of the local NADA folks perhaps pick me up and I will pay them to take me to the hotel? I am arriving at the airport mid afternoon on Wed. Some other ladies may feel the same as me. Thanks!
Barb

Hey Barb
I'll be arriving about 4pm. We could catch a ride together if that helps.

Disgirl
07-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Hey Barb
I'll be arriving about 4pm. We could catch a ride together if that helps.

Thanks for the offer Rich, but I get there at 2pm (I hope). American Airlines from Charlotte. Anyone able to offer me a ride about that time? I will pay...
Barb

LizStreithorst
07-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Thank God I am not flying. I can't believe that there is no shuttle! There is always shuttle service!

Sorry Barb. I hope that Rick can help you. You'll have to call a service and pay money to get back to the airport when you leave. That sucks.

RogueDiscus
07-01-2016, 03:56 PM
I called the hotel and confirmed there is no airport shuttle (their's has a 5 mile radius). They recommended Windy City Limo service, 866-949-4639.
Just passing on info.

What would it take to set up a NADA shuttle? Maybe folks could offer to sign up for a couple hour shift where they'd pick up folks. Lot's of phone contact. I'd be willing. Just an idea.

How much need is out there?

Kirbs
07-01-2016, 04:05 PM
I can be the shuttle. I can take 4, 5 if everybody wants to get cozy! I've got a Ford Super Crew Truck.

Barb send me contact info....cell phone #, flight #, etc.

Anybody else get in around then?

LizStreithorst
07-01-2016, 04:09 PM
What a kind man you are, Kirbs.

Disgirl
07-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Kind indeed Kirby. Thanks so much! I will send my info in a pm later today. There will be a piece of my pottery for you, your choice.
Barb

John_Nicholson
07-01-2016, 05:00 PM
We could have gotten a hotel that offered a airport shuttle but they started at about $200 a night and then went up....LOL.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. It is getting close and I am getting excited.

-john

rickztahone
07-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Thx for the info Keith. I will be in Thursday afternoon but will be using one of the options you provided above.

Is there Uber in Chicago? I ask because my brother plans on doing a lot of travelling and he was weighing the option to either rent a car or simply take bus/sub(?).

Wes
07-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Have never used it but there is Uber in Chicago area.

Kal-El
07-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Uber is an option. Likely the cheaper option.

Keith Perkins
07-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Sorry, guess I'm too old to have thought of Uber as an option.

What John said, all 3 parts.

We could have gotten a hotel that offered a airport shuttle but they started at about $200 a night and then went up....LOL.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. It is getting close and I am getting excited.

-john

Bill63SG
07-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Thx for the info Keith. I will be in Thursday afternoon but will be using one of the options you provided above.

Is there Uber in Chicago? I ask because my brother plans on doing a lot of travelling and he was weighing the option to either rent a car or simply take bus/sub(?).

Yes,when I drop off my crane for repairs they have a uber account and it takes me back to my shop.

LizStreithorst
07-01-2016, 07:20 PM
I feel much better knowing that this was not an oversight but a matter of affordability. The club isn't rich and neither are most of us.

Still, it should have been made clear sooner so folks who expected the normal thing would have known in advance. Better late than never, though.

rickztahone
07-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Cool, Uber it is for me, more than likely :)

RogueDiscus
07-01-2016, 08:28 PM
I knew my suggestion would be behind the times. If i can give anyone a lift, send me a PM.

Keith Perkins
07-01-2016, 09:05 PM
I feel much better knowing that this was not an oversight but a matter of affordability. The club isn't rich and neither are most of us.

Still, it should have been made clear sooner so folks who expected the normal thing would have known in advance. Better late than never, though.

Strictly speaking for myself - it was definitely something that was a concern and discussed way back about the time step 1 or 2 was being contemplated. 50 steps later when the webpage was being put together etc. and I was thinking about the next 50 steps this never crossed my mind again. Even today I didn't realize we hadn't publicized that fact until the first concern was raised about it. Rookie mistake, hopefully it's my worst. Sorry about that.

LizStreithorst
07-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Forgiven.

Willie
07-01-2016, 09:42 PM
The last time I was at O'Hare, they did not allow Uber to service the airport. That was about 4 months ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. If you haven't been here before, Chicago is a huge and Lombard is a pretty big suburb in its own right.

Willie

Wes
07-01-2016, 09:57 PM
The last time I was at O'Hare, they did not allow Uber to service the airport. That was about 4 months ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. If you haven't been here before, Chicago is a huge and Lombard is a pretty big suburb in its own right.

Willie

http://www.uberpartnerschicago.com/airports/

discuspaul
07-01-2016, 10:33 PM
No reflection on you Wes -thanks for the info, but that is one of the most complicated set of instructions to obtain Uber usage that I have ever read. How the hell is anyone who has ever had to land at O'Hare for the first time and obtain transport with Uber supposed to figure that out ?
And how much money is that hassle going to save me ?

Forgive me, but I'm out - I'll try & find a suburban designated cab nearest to the exit from the terminal to take me to the Westin Lombard for whatever more cost it's going to be than Uber.

We have Uber availability @ Vancouver Int'l Airport - a pretty large & busy airport in N.A. (servicing one of the largest cities in N.A.), and connections to get Uber are far easier than what has been described here @ O'Hare.

rickztahone
07-01-2016, 10:55 PM
No reflection on you Wes -thanks for the info, but that is one of the most complicated set of instructions to obtain Uber usage that I have ever read. How the hell is anyone who has ever had to land at O'Hare for the first time and obtain transport with Uber supposed to figure that out ?
And how much money is that hassle going to save me ?

Forgive me, but I'm out - I'll try & find a suburban designated cab nearest to the exit from the terminal to take me to the Westin Lombard for whatever more cost it's going to be than Uber.

We have Uber availability @ Vancouver Int'l Airport - a pretty large & busy airport in N.A. (servicing one of the largest cities in N.A.), and connections to get Uber are far easier than what has been described here @ O'Hare.

The gist I got from that was that Uber has their own designated area "rideshare" where they station. When you confirm your ride order, the next in the cue will be your driver. I think they make it sound more confusing than it actually is.

Wes
07-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Paul that was for the drivers. Just wanted people to see that they pick up at the airports. " All driver - partners are now able to pick up at O'Hare, Midway, McCormick Place, and Navy Pier. "

discuspaul
07-01-2016, 11:07 PM
The gist I got from that was that Uber has their own designated area "rideshare" where they station. When you confirm your ride order, the next in the cue will be your driver. I think they make it sound more confusing than it actually is.

Easy to say - but you go ahead Ricardo, and opt for Uber - I'm quite sure my intended approach will be less problematic, at least for me. :)

rickztahone
07-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Easy to say - but you go ahead Ricardo, and opt for Uber - I'm quite sure my intended approach will be less problematic, at least for me. :)

I hear you bud. Good luck, and see you at the show.