PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, are discus the only fish that stunt?

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 01:27 PM
I do not agree that fish will only grow to the space provided them. ie an oscar in a 33 gallon will only grow so much. I think they will still get to be a foot long even in those tight quarters. Is "stunting" exclusive to discus? Thanks

jmf3460
07-06-2016, 01:31 PM
no, I follow a person on a social media sight, they post pictures of their servum every day and it is so stunted, but I never have had the heart to tell that person. I am pretty sure most all cichlids can stunt, its just that discus are so easily detectable because of their huge bodies.

John_Nicholson
07-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Nope all fish can be stunted. It is just people are use to seeing them that way so they think that is what they are supposed to look like...LOL.

-john

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I hear ya , but I have seen a foot long oscar grown in a 33.

Phillydubs
07-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I mean a 33 long is 48" long... last time I checked a foot was 12" so it is for sure possible, I suppose but seems far fetched. The fish is going to grow as long or as much as it can... It's brain doesn't say I am in a 33 gallon tank I better slow my roll or I am donezo... It can't be comfortable and it's not healthy at all...

I've heard plenty of pacus busting right out of tanks, arrows, iridescent sharks...

That is what happens when uneducated keepers purchase fish and have no clue what they will become. I also blame the stores because they sell these quarter sized fish and could care less where they go. I get it is a business but educating people for a change would be nice...

Plus when you market and tag something as "shark" because it appeals to the buyer, of course some kid wants a few "sharks for his 20 gallon desktop tank, too bad they have no idea their "shark" could be the size of a mini cooper ...

Quintin
07-06-2016, 02:32 PM
To a certain extent size of tank does matter.but water quality and good quality food plays a role as well.and a lot of people dnt know this but one of the biggest contributors to stunting fish is a lack of oxygen in the water.

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 04:16 PM
I would agree that stunting is only a concern with discus. I have never heard of it in my 25 plus years in the hobby. And I cannot diminish how important stunting is when it comes to this fish.

Phillydubs
07-06-2016, 04:22 PM
So you mean to tell me a goldfish can't stunt? Put a gold fish in a bowl and one in a pond, see how they do then we can talk stunting...

Same thing for koi...

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Haha, not saying that at all. Stunting is a term I never heard of except when I kept discus. There are reasons for the example I gave with the oscar growing out in a 33 gallon tank. I saw it, and the owner fed that fish like crazy. Meatballs, you name it. That fish did not stunt.

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Stunting is a term exclusive to discus right?

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 04:34 PM
I have never heard "look at that stunted severum", or look at that stunted oscar.

Akili
07-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Stunting is a term exclusive to discus right?Not true,any fish can be stunted here is link that will help http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Yes, but "stunting" is exclusive to discus. Tell me when it was a concern or term used when keeping anything else?

jmf3460
07-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Not true,any fish can be stunted here is link that will help http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/

+1 I have seen a number of stunted fish other than discus.

Filip
07-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Stunting is a term exclusive to discus right?

I think it applies to all living things that grow .

Here is Wiki definition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunted_growth

Im confused though about the other question in this thread .
Does a size of a tank matters givven the hypotetical perfect water and food conditions ?
Is it possible to grow out 7 inchers in 20 gallon tank if we do 3 times 100% WC daily and feed well?

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 05:02 PM
I screwed up the whole thing.

megatrev62
07-06-2016, 05:04 PM
I guess stunting is something that can happen to all fish depending on the factors. "Stunting" is a term only associated with discus. Tell me I'm wrong and all good.

Akili
07-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I guess stunting is something that can happen to all fish depending on the factors. "Stunting" is a term only associated with discus. Tell me I'm wrong and all good.It is not only associated only with discus, so if you wanted to hear that that you are wrong than that's what is going to be with all due repect.

Bill63SG
07-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Haha, not saying that at all. Stunting is a term I never heard of except when I kept discus. There are reasons for the example I gave with the oscar growing out in a 33 gallon tank. I saw it, and the owner fed that fish like crazy. Meatballs, you name it. That fish did not stunt.

33 gal/40gal long/55 gal,all have the same surface area,48"x12".So if he did reasonable water changes,it would be the same as growing an Oscar in a 55,and that dosent seem so far-fetched.

rickztahone
07-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I screwed up the whole thing.

I guess stunting is something that can happen to all fish depending on the factors. "Stunting" is a term only associated with discus. Tell me I'm wrong and all good.

+1

A human can be stunted, and many are in 3rd world countries where the basic necessities are lacking and their bodies pay the price.

"stunted" is not a coined phrase for discus alone.

DISCUS STU
07-07-2016, 10:07 AM
All fish, and I assume most animals, including people, can be stunted. Being underfed, stressed, or any combinations of these can do it. Stress can come from various factors; bullying, poor water conditions, etc.

Quintin
07-08-2016, 03:29 AM
Yes.what i also meant was one can have a very big aquarium but lack of filtration , waterchanges, oxygen and good food will still stunt the fish even though tank is large.And as for earlier question. it is very common to hear of stunted oscars severums, green terrors and so forth as many large american cichlids are sold as 3cm fish to people with a 100L tank not telling them some of these fish grow 40cm size and need space.And oscars are also finicky about water conditions.I have seen many with hole in the head.

DISCUS STU
07-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Yes.what i also meant was one can have a very big aquarium but lack of filtration , waterchanges, oxygen and good food will still stunt the fish even though tank is large.And as for earlier question. it is very common to hear of stunted oscars severums, green terrors and so forth as many large american cichlids are sold as 3cm fish to people with a 100L tank not telling them some of these fish grow 40cm size and need space.And oscars are also finicky about water conditions.I have seen many with hole in the head.

Sure, the fish, Discus in this case, need optimal conditions in order to achieve their full potential. Imagine being raised in a large house but not receiving enough food, clean air, constantly being under stress psychological or otherwise, etc. It would be difficult to reach your full potential under these circumstances.