PDA

View Full Version : Filthy filter

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 06:41 PM
I've been missing fish lately and wondering who the culprit is. well today after cleaning my filter and turning it back on i have "tuna flakes" if you will, floating all through my tank. Pulled off the hoses and nothing stuck in hole. Must be carcasses stuck inside somewhere. I'm assuming if I ignore this it's going to affect my water. How do I get at them any suggestions? Do I need to bleach out my hoses? Also I need a good lesson in filterization for my new tank that I'm setting up as a discus tank hundred gallon 6 foot tank will a 406 canister be good enough filter should I be getting something better suggestions please

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Im also thinking this could be my problem for those who were replying to my oil slick thread

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
No one?

pitdogg2
07-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Personally I'm stumped as to how a fish could get in let alone all the way through to be able to spit scales out the output???

If it were mine I would more than that one filter doing to job. I have two big canister filters on my 75gal.

Jason.M
07-07-2016, 08:50 PM
What kind of fish are "going missing"? What is stocked in this tank?
Usually the only fish that end up getting sucked up by a filter are sick ones and small fry. Even the smallest of fish usually dont get sucked up by the biggest of filters.
You need to tear down your filter and clean it, hoses and all if this is what's happening.
Then I would put a sponge over the intake to keep the dead fish from going in there.

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Personally I'm stumped as to how a fish could get in let alone all the way through to be able to spit scales out the output???

If it were mine I would more than that one filter doing to job. I have two big canister filters on my 75gal.

It doesnt constantly come out. Only when i turn off then back on. Does this tell you something?

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 08:57 PM
What kind of fish are "going missing"? What is stocked in this tank?
Usually the only fish that end up getting sucked up by a filter are sick ones and small fry. Even the smallest of fish usually dont get sucked up by the biggest of filters.
You need to tear down your filter and clean it, hoses and all if this is what's happening.
Then I would put a sponge over the intake to keep the dead fish from going in there.

Neon and rummies r missing. 65g 2plecos 1 cat 2 angels neons and rummies

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 09:02 PM

yes but what if it is stuck inside hose. Will bleeching it get it out?

Jason.M
07-07-2016, 09:29 PM
No bleach won't get it unstuck. You need to tie a rag on a piece of wire or use a hose cleaner.

Jason.M
07-07-2016, 09:30 PM
How big are the plecos and what kind? They will sometimes take small fish if they are big enough and the right variety of pleco.

EJ_B
07-07-2016, 09:48 PM
It doesnt constantly come out. Only when i turn off then back on. Does this tell you something?
Yes, it sounds like you need to clean your filter better. It's also a good idea to run a second filter so your biological cycle isn't interrupted, although if you are rinsing you media in tank water it shouldn't kill off that much of your bacteria. It's still a good idea though.

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 10:04 PM
How big are the plecos and what kind? They will sometimes take small fish if they are big enough and the right variety of pleco.

3 1/2" plain pleco not sure what kind and my fav, 2" vampire

Bc chick
07-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Yes, it sounds like you need to clean your filter better. It's also a good idea to run a second filter so your biological cycle isn't interrupted, although if you are rinsing you media in tank water it shouldn't kill off that much of your bacteria. It's still a good idea though.

Thx but i meant does it tell you something as to where the fish could be stuck

EJ_B
07-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Thx but i meant does it tell you something as to where the fish could be stuck

Well like the others have mentioned, I really don't see how they could have gotten sucked into the filter unless you don't have any type of strainer on your intake pipe. My guess is they were probably eaten.

Kyla
07-08-2016, 01:07 AM
the crud that comes out when u turn on the filter is debris that lines the insides of the tubes for your filter. i just ignore them. im def not dismantling my filter and hoses every time i clean the filter media. if u shake the hoses a bit u can get some to dislodge

plecos will eat fish carcasses. they can strip a fish down to just the spine in no time

Bc chick
07-08-2016, 04:51 AM
the crud that comes out when u turn on the filter is debris that lines the insides of the tubes for your filter. i just ignore them. im def not dismantling my filter and hoses every time i clean the filter media. if u shake the hoses a bit u can get some to dislodge

plecos will eat fish carcasses. they can strip a fish down to just the spine in no time

Kyla there was lots. Enough to make it look like i just fed a block of fbs. They were definitely flaky. Also the amount, from nothing to such extrem makes me wonder if its just debris. I do have a strainer, but looks like they could fit through. Maybe they died and get sucked up? Idk, but im thinking i might have to look n see how to get into other parts other than just hoses.

Kyla
07-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Kyla there was lots. Enough to make it look like i just fed a block of fbs. They were definitely flaky. Also the amount, from nothing to such extrem makes me wonder if its just debris. I do have a strainer, but looks like they could fit through. Maybe they died and get sucked up? Idk, but im thinking i might have to look n see how to get into other parts other than just hoses.

yah, that is totally normal, it swooshes into the tank and dirties up the water after a wc, but then it gets picked back up by the filter. it does look sorta flakey, kinda like flimsy tuna. im 100% sure its the gunk from the filter tubes.

however, small fish can get sucked up intakes, so it is possible this is where ur fish disappeared to. i have had tetras get sucked into filter intake tubes and later found their bodies on the sponges when i cleaned the filters. ive also had fry get sucked into filters and live! i remember findinf inch long kribensis fry cruising around in the canister filter thru the clear plastic housing!

pitdogg2
07-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Sounds like bio-film from hoses. Angels will kill small fish and eat them at night sometimes when smaller fish go to sleep or chase them down when lights are on, pleckos will finish them off you may never find any parts and pieces. You need to break down the filter and clean all but bio rings or whatever the bio part is. Only rinse bio in tank water in bucket.
If your bio is sponges squeeze them in that bucket of tank water. Be sure to clean the impeller and impeller well to get rid of bio-film.

DJW
07-09-2016, 06:51 PM
After cleaning the filter, you can run the first half gallon or so that comes out through a filter sock or into a bucket.

When you detach the filter, you rattle the hoses. Then when you reconnect the canister a bunch of air gurgles through the hose dislodging flaky-looking stuff from the walls of the hose.

two utes
07-09-2016, 06:55 PM
After cleaning the filter, you can run the first half gallon or so that comes out through a filter sock or into a bucket.

When you detach the filter, you rattle the hoses. Then when you reconnect the canister a bunch of air gurgles through the hose dislodging flaky-looking stuff from the walls of the hose.

Exactly what Dan said. :thumbsup:

Bc chick
07-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Sounds like bio-film from hoses. Angels will kill small fish and eat them at night sometimes when smaller fish go to sleep or chase them down when lights are on, pleckos will finish them off you may never find any parts and pieces. You need to break down the filter and clean all but bio rings or whatever the bio part is. Only rinse bio in tank water in bucket.
If your bio is sponges squeeze them in that bucket of tank water. Be sure to clean the impeller and impeller well to get rid of bio-film.

Ive never touched the impeller its white at can be and the magnet part is clean. Why no bio?

Bc chick
07-09-2016, 09:59 PM

Ahhhh gotcha. You the water man! Ive seen your posts in foreign language lol

Lilly
07-10-2016, 09:42 AM
You have angles fish in the tank? They will definitely eat neons and rummy nose. I remember putting ten neons in with a angel fish once and watching as one by one they became a expensive "snack" for the angel fish:mad:

As for the stuff in the hoses...they should be removed and cleaned at least every six month....just like the filter should be opened and the floss replaced monthly. Canister filters are best used as a place to house beneficial bacteria....Mechanical filtration is best accomplished by a HOB as was previously stated.:D

Neptune
07-10-2016, 11:32 AM
As others have said, probably biofilm. I get this in one of my canister filters.

If you think about it, pretty tough for bigger chunks of stuff to get all the way to the output side of a filter. Think about everything it has to pass through and lastly an impeller!

pitdogg2
07-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Why no bio?

I do not understand the question.^^^^^

You need to clean the area the impeller goes into as well as the impeller when you open the canister. Bio-film grows in that area as well and I have seen some so filthy that it impeds the rotation of the impeller. If you feel it is clean so be it. I was just pointing out something to be aware of.

I never said no bio I was hoping to keep you from killing off the bio. Bio-film in the hoses slows down the filter just like clogged media. It all matters.

I'm out carry on

Ryan925
07-13-2016, 06:54 PM
You have angles fish in the tank? They will definitely eat neons and rummy nose. I remember putting ten neons in with a angel fish once and watching as one by one they became a expensive "snack" for the angel fish:mad:

As for the stuff in the hoses...they should be removed and cleaned at least every six month....just like the filter should be opened and the floss replaced monthly. Canister filters are best used as a place to house beneficial bacteria....Mechanical filtration is best accomplished by a HOB as was previously stated.:D

I agree. I've had my tank setup for almost 6 months now. I never had debris come out of the returns after starting up until the past month. Before that there was nothing. It just takes time for that stuff to build up in the hoses. I originally thought it was a problem with my canister filter until I started reading and found this is a common occurrence.

monilovesdiscus
07-13-2016, 07:13 PM
I clean out my hoses every few months. For some reason, I end up with algae crud. It's not a problem unless it impacts the water flow. I use the Eheim Universal brush which I found on Amazon. The complaint they post about pulling it through is ridiculous. You just push through the plastic handle then pull and all the crud comes out. It comes with various little brushes that clip onto the end so it handles different tube sizes. I use it for my longer tubes. It's about 13 bucks. You can get others but make sure you measure the length. Also, I found pushing the crud out sometimes is harder than pulling it through. Granted, it's all personal opinions but that's what works best for me.

DISCUS STU
07-14-2016, 02:07 PM
The stuff that comes out of the filter is accumulation that lines the tubes. When I restart my Eheims it looks to be a beige material that the fish consume, must be some protein in this stuff.

Other than that there's no way these filters can consume decent size Discus fish.

jim LI
07-14-2016, 02:12 PM
I also use the eheim brush. i have had it for over 5 years. works great on the intake and outlet hoses and tubes.

Bc chick
07-14-2016, 02:33 PM

As for the stuff in the hoses...they should be removed and cleaned at least every six month....just like the filter should be opened and the floss replaced monthly. Canister filters are best used as a place to house beneficial bacteria....Mechanical filtration is best accomplished by a HOB as was previously stated.:D yes I do the floss and rinse every couple weeks I just didn't know about the hoses and yes it was the angelfish the little piggy here's a picture of him after his three fish midnight snack

Bc chick
07-14-2016, 02:36 PM
I do not understand the question.^^^^^

You need to clean the area the impeller goes into as well as the impeller when you open the canister. Bio-film grows in that area as well and I have seen some so filthy that it impeds the rotation of the impeller. If you feel it is clean so be it. I was just pointing out something to be aware of.

I never said no bio I was hoping to keep you from killing off the bio. Bio-film in the hoses slows down the filter just like clogged media. It all matters.

I'm out carry on

Sorry i meant why is the impeller so clean

Bc chick
07-14-2016, 03:44 PM
I clean out my hoses every few months. For some reason, I end up with algae crud. It's not a problem unless it impacts the water flow. I use the Eheim Universal brush which I found on Amazon. The complaint they post about pulling it through is ridiculous. You just push through the plastic handle then pull and all the crud comes out. It comes with various little brushes that clip onto the end so it handles different tube sizes. I use it for my longer tubes. It's about 13 bucks. You can get others but make sure you measure the length. Also, I found pushing the crud out sometimes is harder than pulling it through. Granted, it's all personal opinions but that's what works best for me.

Thanks I'll look into that brush an update on the filter I took it all down kept my media under an air stone and bleach when will filter out cleaned it up really good and it seems to be doing fine now

Second Hand Pat
07-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Hope you are not exposing your media to bleach?
Pat

Bc chick
07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Hope you are not exposing your media to bleach?
Pat

Nope. Stuck the trays in my tank over a air stone.