PDA

View Full Version : Pps pro

Ryan925
07-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Hi I would like to see if anyone else is using the pps pro fertilizer method in their planted discus tank. I was using the line of seachem products but that proved to be expensive and not really practical for a discus tank as it is a 7 day process.

I have recently purchased the pps pro line. My question is how well it works with the frequent water changes needed for our fish. If I understand correctly the dose is what can be used by the plants in 1 day which is why it is dosed every morning before lights on. If that's true every other day or even daily WCs should not be an issue.

Is anyone else using this method and how are your results?

Thanks

rickztahone
07-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Hi I would like to see if anyone else is using the pps pro fertilizer method in their planted discus tank. I was using the line of seachem products but that proved to be expensive and not really practical for a discus tank as it is a 7 day process.

I have recently purchased the pps pro line. My question is how well it works with the frequent water changes needed for our fish. If I understand correctly the dose is what can be used by the plants in 1 day which is why it is dosed every morning before lights on. If that's true every other day or even daily WCs should not be an issue.

Is anyone else using this method and how are your results?

Thanks

The problem you run in to is as you pointed out, we require frequent water changes in discus tanks. The fertz basically become useless at that point because they stay in the water column except for the very small portion some plants could have absorbed. The additive process of dry fertz is what gives the plants the nutrition required, which again, just isn't that doable in a discus tank. Most ask you to make this choice, either choose discus, or choose plants...

Filip
07-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Like Rick said , it is almost pointless to dose any ferts in a tank with daily , or semi-daily large WCs.
Daily PPS dosing would be most appropriate because of daily small doses l, as opposed to weekly EI for example.

The smartest thing to do if you are set go dosing is to do WCs followed by dosing ferts in the morning 2-3 hours before the lights turns on .
That way the plants will be able to utilise at least a bit from the ferts during the photo period till the next WC.

Ryan925
07-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Like Rick said , it is almost pointless to dose any ferts in a tank with daily , or semi-daily large WCs.
Daily PPS dosing would be most appropriate because of daily small doses l, as opposed to weekly EI for example.

The smartest thing to do if you are set go dosing is to do WCs followed by dosing ferts in the morning 2-3 hours before the lights turns on .
That way the plants will be able to utilise at least a bit from the ferts during the photo period till the next WC.

That's what I was getting at. The pps pro method is always to dose both macros and micros prior to photo period daily. Same amount. Everyday. No X here, Y here, Z there. I believe the theory is you are dosing what the plants will utilize in a days time meaning daily water changes shouldn't have negative effects. Was just curious if any one out there had experienced any results with this method.

I may be the test dummy lol

Filip
07-14-2016, 05:41 PM
I dose only pro fito micro ferts from easy life on occasions when I remember to do so .
I also devide the weekly recomendet dose by 7 to get to daily small amount plants utilize.
But the problem in my case is that ussualy I do my WCs at night in the middle of photo period and strip away previously dosed ferts .
It would be better anyways if you can do WCs and dosing in the mornings , couple of hours before lights went on.

Ryan925
07-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Same here. My water changes are. Always in the evening. Can't see doing them at 4am. Might fall asleep with siphon going lol. Was hoping that water changes at night after lights and co2 are off the plants would have had a chance to utilize the ferts. Guess I shall see

I actually am planning a rescape and removing some plants and my drift wood and go with some more rock and a couple manzanita branches. I'm happy with how my tank looks but have decided to go with less plants in favor of the discus.