PDA

View Full Version : 101 uk gallon Discus love pond

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 01:25 AM
Morning All, been lurking for a while now, reading and looking and also drooling quite a bit. Having what I thought turned on its head and putting my thoughts and beliefs to one side and listening to the advice given to others. When I started this dream it was to have a heavily planted Discus tank full of smallish Discus, that were happily swimming around in Re-mineralised RO water with a ph around 6 hahaha. Imagine my utter surprise when I realised that wasn't the prescribed way ( and after I bought a 2nd hand RO unit and modified and replaced filters etc until it cost me more than a brand spanking new one ! ! )

Well, on to what I do have - the tank is not wet yet. It's a 39"x30"x26" with an external weir box going to a sump underneath. I'll have Sera rings in the main chamber and some floss before to catch some of the major gunk.

I now intend keeping the scaping simple, probably 10mm of sand with some Manzanita branch's and driftwood.

I plan on keeping Stendker Discus, around 10 of varying strains and some Torpedo barbs and Corys.

The discus I've decided on are between 4-6 inch fish as I'm hoping these will be more stable at this size.

*and when I work out how to add photos, I'll show you guys and girls the tank*

Cheers
Neil

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 05:54 AM

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 05:57 AM
Here's the Tank when I brought it home, has a euro brace and an external weirbox

Wes
07-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Neil, its a nice tank and looking forward to see it progress.

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks Wes.

Tank will probably not be setup till November as I have a few more bits to buy, then a holiday. What I will do though is set up the QT Tank and QT some Corys and Toroedo Barbs and maybe a Bristle nose Plec or two, that way they'll be ready to go.

Neil, its a nice tank and looking forward to see it progress.

Filip
07-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Nice looking tank Neil. A bit of a strange footage for discus but it will do the job.
What are those black round markings on the bottom ?
What do you have or plan for filtration ?

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Lol, will sort the pics when I get on the iMac. The tank has a double base ( two pieces of glass I case you crack the inside pane ) and that is the silicone in between the two pieces of glass. Basically I'm using the tank for discus but had it designed to be able to be used for discus or a reeftank.

Nice looking tank Neil. A bit of a strange footage for discus but it will do the job.
What are those black round markings on the bottom ?
What do you have or plan for filtration ?

NeiMan
07-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Sorry, missed the question on filtration, sump will hold 150 litres but will probably only have a 100 or so litres, it will have the centre section filled with Sera siporax 25mm rings, it will have filter floss before the rings ( can't stand filter socks ) and also have carbon and purigen.

Dhavalsp
07-17-2016, 06:22 PM
nice tank...looking forward to more pics as you set it up...

NeiMan
07-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks Dhavalsp, hope to have more pics once we've moved. I forgot to say - both sides and front panes are low iron glass.