PDA

View Full Version : Bought my Discus a Cabin

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Most already know that I'm in the middle of moving. We sold our house in Metro Atlanta back in April and are temporarily living with my father-in-law in Hillsboro, Ga. We closed on the mortgage of our new home this week which will be a Modular home and will probably be ready around mid September. The plan was to build a free standing building for a fish room but I found a used 16x32 foot Cabin that I was able to buy cheaper than I could build. It should be delivered in the next week or two and I can go ahead and wire and plumb it so it will be ready to hook up as soon as we move into the new house. My initial plans call for eight 20's, eight 75's, four 40's and one 125. It has been a year since I closed down the fish room and I'm really getting excited to get some breeding going again.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111154_zps967d7i2w.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111154_zps967d7i2w.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111204_zpsc9smvsus.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111204_zpsc9smvsus.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111219_zpstvqbngfg.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111219_zpstvqbngfg.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111241_zpshiq4idb9.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111241_zpshiq4idb9.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111246_zpsw9gv9qi5.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111246_zpsw9gv9qi5.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111258_zps6i7hdzie.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111258_zps6i7hdzie.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111310_zpszrwijhib.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160712_111310_zpszrwijhib.jpg.html)

Second Hand Pat
07-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Very cool Larry and should serve nicely as a fish room er cabin. :D Are you going to reinforce the floor? Also are you considering an AC unit? If you have doubts about an AC unit talk to Ryan.
Pat

discuspaul
07-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Sounds like an exciting project, Larry.
I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun setting it up just the way you want it.
Will look forward to seeing some pix of the finished product.

Allwin
07-16-2016, 01:52 PM
My initial plans call for eight 20's, eight 75's, four 40's and one 125.
Cool, this is the way to do it. Looking forward.

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Very cool Larry and should serve nicely as a fish room er cabin. :D Are you going to reinforce the floor? Also are you considering an AC unit? If you have doubts about an AC unit talk to Ryan.
Pat

The floor should be fine as it is. The cabin sits on four treated runners that span from front to back with 4' between each one. The floor joist are treated 2x6 on 16" centers sitting across the runners. It shouldn't have any problem holding the weight of the tanks. AC, lol. It has been 95 to 101 here since May with the heat index sometimes hitting 110. I got lucky because the cabin is already insulated but AC and heat will be necessary. I'm planning on a wall mounted heat pump unit that handles both. I will only plan on cooling to the low 80's and heat to about the same. The well water here is pretty good and I've been doing wc's straight from the tap with no issues so I'm going to use a tankless water heater and run it though a thermostatic valve to maintain the temp going into the tanks.

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Sounds like an exciting project, Larry.
I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun setting it up just the way you want it.
Will look forward to seeing some pix of the finished product.

Cool, this is the way to do it. Looking forward.

Thanks Paul, Allwin. I'm pretty excited about getting this going. Will definitely post updates.

Phillydubs
07-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Larry,

Pulling out all the stops for your fish as expected! That's awesome and you must be so pumped !! Good luck with it all I can't wait to see the progress.

RichT
07-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Good deal Larry. Very exciting!!! Can't wait to see the finished cabin with all the fish swimming in the tanks. How did the few fish you acquired do on the trip home?

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Good deal Larry. Very exciting!!! Can't wait to see the finished cabin with all the fish swimming in the tanks. How did the few fish you acquired do on the trip home?

Thanks Rich. They did great!! We ended up going to the Shedd Sunday afternoon and then Amanda drove all the way home so I could get some rest. Didn't get a lot of sleep at the show, lol. We got home around 7:30 AM. I changed water on the tanks and emptied out the buckets. They were in the buckets around 24 hours with just a air stone. An hour or two later and they looked as good as they did in Chicago. I tell people that traveling with them in a bucket is the way to go and this was a testament to that. I had the proven pair in one bucket. Seven 4" juvies in a bucket, Six 4" in another and Ten 4" in the fourth bucket. Have to give Kraig a big shout out. I couldn't be happier with what I brought home!!!

Joe
07-16-2016, 04:52 PM
So Cool!!

RichT
07-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Thanks Rich. They did great!! We ended up going to the Shedd Sunday afternoon and then Amanda drove all the way home so I could get some rest. Didn't get a lot of sleep at the show, lol. We got home around 7:30 AM. I changed water on the tanks and emptied out the buckets. They were in the buckets around 24 hours with just a air stone. An hour or two later and they looked as good as they did in Chicago. I tell people that traveling with them in a bucket is the way to go and this was a testament to that. I had the proven pair in one bucket. Seven 4" juvies in a bght to the showucket, Six 4" in another and Ten 4" in the fourth bucket. Have to give Kraig a big shout out. I couldn't be happier with what I brought home!!!

I hear you totally!! But I must admit I am so jealous. I also was totally floored with what Kraig brought to the show. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for the fall and see what happens.

LizStreithorst
07-16-2016, 05:18 PM
I love it, Mr. Bugg! When I decide to move my grooming shop to my house from in town I hope I can find a building just like it. It looks very inviting with the sitting area out front.

I have an AC in my fish room down here in Southeast Mississippi. I'm having it removed to make more room for tanks. I never use it. I use a dehumidifier in the winter and an exhaust fan in the summer. Of course, my fish room gets a lot of shade, so that might not work for you.

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 05:22 PM
I hear you totally!! But I must admit I am so jealous. I also was totally floored with what Kraig brought to the show. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for the fall and see what happens.

You are at the top of the list my friend. I need to get some pics and post them. Maybe later this evening.

Mugwump
07-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Great news Larry, I was wondering when you'd be able to start up again...but forgot to ask you at the show. Good luck on the latest adventure!...

Wes
07-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Larry, in the last 2 pics I see a perfect spot to hang a hammock. Looking forward to seeing the all new Bugg's --basement--- discus cabin full of fish.

Trier20
07-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Looks like that should work pretty well! Good find indeed!

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 07:54 PM
I love it, Mr. Bugg! When I decide to move my grooming shop to my house from in town I hope I can find a building just like it. It looks very inviting with the sitting area out front.

I have an AC in my fish room down here in Southeast Mississippi. I'm having it removed to make more room for tanks. I never use it. I use a dehumidifier in the winter and an exhaust fan in the summer. Of course, my fish room gets a lot of shade, so that might not work for you.

Thanks Liz. Afraid a fan wouldn't cut it. Right now in the garage the water is at 86 to 90 degrees during the daytime. During the winter our temps can get pretty cold so I think the ac/heat is needed but hope to use it at a minimum. I will also be using dehumidifiers.

LizStreithorst
07-16-2016, 07:57 PM
I should consider myself lucky

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Great news Larry, I was wondering when you'd be able to start up again...but forgot to ask you at the show. Good luck on the latest adventure!...

Hopefully soon. I have the proven pair of wild cross angels I got out of the group from you waiting for a tank of their own so they can get busy, lol.

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Larry, in the last 2 pics I see a perfect spot to hang a hammock. Looking forward to seeing the all new Bugg's --basement--- discus cabin full of fish.

Lol, there will be a hammock but it will be outside under a tree. I like a office chair in the fish room so I can sit and roll from tank to tank.

Larry Bugg
07-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Looks like that should work pretty well! Good find indeed!

Thanks Brandon.

Disgirl
07-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Wow, what a man cave that will be. A man cave fishroom cabin! It will be great Larry! Amanda will have to visit you in there if she can fit in amongst the tanks.
Barb

Altum Nut
07-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Larry...your full of surprises. A pre-built would have never crossed my mind and you sure picked a winner.
I like it a lot.
Would it not be practical to set it on a poured concrete pad or was that in your plans anyway.

...Ralph

Keith Perkins
07-16-2016, 10:50 PM
The fishroom will be ready before the house...my kind of guy. :)

nc0gnet0
07-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Larry,

Curious on your choice of a tankless water heater, can I ask why? It's an option I explored a few year ago, a couple of heating and cooling guys advised against it. I am curious how yours works out.

-Rick

John_Nicholson
07-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Looks great Larry.

-john

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Wow, what a man cave that will be. A man cave fishroom cabin! It will be great Larry! Amanda will have to visit you in there if she can fit in amongst the tanks.
Barb

Lol, she had already planned on getting a woman cave but the fish cabin comes first so I don't put my aquariums in the house.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Larry...your full of surprises. A pre-built would have never crossed my mind and you sure picked a winner.
I like it a lot.
Would it not be practical to set it on a poured concrete pad or was that in your plans anyway.

...Ralph

Original plan was to build it but I found this and couldn't build it for the price. I was originally going to use a concrete pad but this already has the floor in it.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 02:01 PM
The fishroom will be ready before the house...my kind of guy. :)

You can see where my priorities are.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Looks great Larry.

-john

Thanks John. I always wanted to do this ever since I saw your fish house in 2010.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Larry,

Curious on your choice of a tankless water heater, can I ask why? It's an option I explored a few year ago, a couple of heating and cooling guys advised against it. I am curious how yours works out.

-Rick

I was going to go with the tankless because of space considerations and efficiency. I can put a tank heater in but it ends up taking space that could go to a tank, lol. I am very interested in hearing the reasons you were advised against it.

MD.David
07-17-2016, 04:56 PM
I work with HVAC guys weekly on projects, what I have found is a majority consensus among Heating and Cooling people regarding tankless is that "tankless heaters are not as reliable as tank heater hot water systems", this is what they all say.
However, I don't hear about them being called out all the time to repair them either. I think it's a few factors, i)it's relatively new in the HVAC industry ii) most Tech's have little to no experience with them, so they are a little scared to recommend them.
I do know there are limited people that are qualified to repair them so that could get expensive.
Moreover, unless you want to do two 120 gallon commercial grade hot water tanks (for infinite hot water) then a tankless would be a great idea.
I do know in the late winter I will be installing a tankless in my fishroom for the very same reason (infinite hot water!!)
😀
When I do I will let everyone know how it goes.

Larry,

-Rick

nc0gnet0
07-17-2016, 07:36 PM
I was going to go with the tankless because of space considerations and efficiency. I can put a tank heater in but it ends up taking space that could go to a tank, lol. I am very interested in hearing the reasons you were advised against it.

I understand the space considerations. But the efficiency, if I understand your plans on it's use, will be null. I work with heating and cooling contractors on a daily basis, (the company I work for is a mechanical insulator/Environmental Contractor) so any information I post is what I was told by them, and not first hand knowledge.

On demand (tankless) water heaters are generally more efficient do to the fact they are not constantly reheating a 30-40 gallon tank of water that is currently not in demand. The more they(tankless) are used, the less efficient they become, up to a point in which they actually become less efficient. If I understand your setup correctly, your going to take a tankless hot water heater and essentially add a very large tank (your fish tanks), so you have effectively nullified the whole point of the tankless water heater itself (except for the space part).

Now, that may be all fine and good, and the space savings still justifies the additional cost for you. But there is one more thing to consider. On demand hot water heaters are designed for intermittent use. There heating elements can be up to 5x+ (in BTU) the size of there tanked water heater counterparts. They need to in order to supply almost instantly and continous hot water.

So essentially an on demand hot water heater is comparable to a top fuel dragster, designed for going really fast for a 1/4 mile and stopping. If you subject them to more use then they are designed for, that 160,000+ BTU burner/heating element is going to wear things out fairly fast, and you might not be happy having to get a new one every 2 years. This was the biggest concern I came across when discussing my plans with people in the industry.

-Rick

nc0gnet0
07-17-2016, 07:40 PM
I work with HVAC guys weekly on projects, what I have found is a majority consensus among Heating and Cooling people regarding tankless is that "tankless heaters are not as reliable as tank heater hot water systems", this is what they all say.
However, I don't hear about them being called out all the time to repair them either. I think it's a few factors, i)it's relatively new in the HVAC industry ii) most Tech's have little to no experience with them, so they are a little scared to recommend them.
I do know there are limited people that are qualified to repair them so that could get expensive.
Moreover, unless you want to do two 120 gallon commercial grade hot water tanks (for infinite hot water) then a tankless would be a great idea.
I do know in the late winter I will be installing a tankless in my fishroom for the very same reason (infinite hot water!!)
��
When I do I will let everyone know how it goes.

There would be no need to have two 120 gallon hot water heaters, you need to remember your only heating the water to 82 degrees, and doing so by mixing hot and cold water.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Typically hot water heaters are set somewhere between 120 and 150 degrees. My thought was that I don't need water that hot. I ultimately need 82. It looks like I can set a tankless at it's lowest setting which I believe is around 100 and then mix with my cold to achieve 82. Since I would not be running the tankless to it's max then shouldn't I be able to get a decent life out of the unit? Lol, I don't work in heating and cooling so I may be way off base. On another note since you are in heating and cooling can you tell me what you think about the wall mount heat pump units? In my part of Georgia, heat pumps are routinely used since we don't typically say really cold for extended periods of time. Again, like with the water heater, I'm not looking to maintain a temp normal for our homes but rather somewhere in the low 80's.

Jack L
07-17-2016, 08:15 PM
FWIW, the issue i have heard on tankless water heaters is that if you have hard water running into them they fail quickly as the minerals precipitate out fast and clog them up. and there isn't much room for the limescale to build up compared to a tank water heater that is exposed to the same hard water.

when i read the warranty on the one we have, it specifically called out any failures due to minerals in the water and related issues as excluded.

nice find on the building, looking forward to build updates.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 08:25 PM
FWIW, the issue i have heard on tankless water heaters is that if you have hard water running into them they fail quickly as the minerals precipitate out fast and clog them up. and there isn't much room for the limescale to build up compared to a tank water heater that is exposed to the same hard water.

when i read the warranty on the one we have, it specifically called out any failures due to minerals in the water and related issues as excluded.

nice find on the building, looking forward to build updates.

Soft water here.

Jack L
07-17-2016, 08:32 PM
also FWIW, when i was reading about ours, there was a model option that let you keep it running all the time to keep hot water always on tap. it cycled the water through the system somehow.

the way ours works is it needs to run for about 1 minute before it decides to start heating the water, then it will produce hot water for as long as there is demand.

probably a lame idea, but i was wondering if you could use the hot water heater as a heater, running the tubing through the tanks like a old home radiator, or like they use it to heat homes when they put the pex tubing in the floor.

i know a guy who heats his garage with pex in his concrete floor and hot water running through it in a closed system. if he can keep a garage warm in pennsylvania like that, seems like it could work to heat fish tanks, or just to heat the whole room to a cozy 82. i'm guessing he probably uses a different model water heater, than one made to heat sink water.

if interested, i can ask him for more details.

nc0gnet0
07-17-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think setting the temperature so low on the tankless water heater will lead to a lot of fluctuations in water temp. I'm not sure how the gas fired tankless hot water heaters burners are set-up to function, whether they are cycled full on/off to achieve desired temp, or if the flame itself is regulated like that of a gas stove. I will ask. Electric was never an option for me as the main intent was to reduce electricity, which is billed on a tiered rate, and use gas, as gas charges remain constant regardless of units used.

As for heat pumps, I have no idea, I never asked. They are not that common in my area. I do know that my power vented hot water heater (tanked) has the ability to also run a space heater (ala a boiler like setup). As to if this would be enough to heat your fish house to 82 I am not sure, but it's an interesting thing to check into.

-Rick

Jack L
07-17-2016, 08:46 PM
I understand the space considerations. But the efficiency, if I understand your plans on it's use, will be null. I work with heating and cooling contractors on a daily basis, (the company I work for is a mechanical insulator/Environmental Contractor) so any information I post is what I was told by them, and not first hand knowledge.

On demand (tankless) water heaters are generally more efficient do to the fact they are not constantly reheating a 30-40 gallon tank of water that is currently not in demand. The more they(tankless) are used, the less efficient they become, up to a point in which they actually become less efficient. If I understand your setup correctly, your going to take a tankless hot water heater and essentially add a very large tank (your fish tanks), so you have effectively nullified the whole point of the tankless water heater itself (except for the space part).

Now, that may be all fine and good, and the space savings still justifies the additional cost for you. But there is one more thing to consider. On demand hot water heaters are designed for intermittent use. There heating elements can be up to 5x+ (in BTU) the size of there tanked water heater counterparts. They need to in order to supply almost instantly and continous hot water.

So essentially an on demand hot water heater is comparable to a top fuel dragster, designed for going really fast for a 1/4 mile and stopping. If you subject them to more use then they are designed for, that 160,000+ BTU burner/heating element is going to wear things out fairly fast, and you might not be happy having to get a new one every 2 years. This was the biggest concern I came across when discussing my plans with people in the industry.

-Rick

not saying your wrong, but the tankless water heater i have works like crap for intermittent use. so much so that our family has gotten into the practice of wasting water as not to confuse the the heater and getting cold water sandwiches. e.g. if brushing teeth, water stays running, because if we turn it off and on just when needed, the time it takes the heater to realize we want hot water, we never get hot water. but once its running, it runs fine for multiple demands at once, like dishwasher and shower at same time. this has been the experience of others i talked to that have the tankless heaters. i have a natural gas tankless heater for the whole house. not once of those faucet specific instant water heaters.

Jack L
07-17-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think setting the temperature so low on the tankless water heater will lead to a lot of fluctuations in water temp. I'm not sure how the gas fired tankless hot water heaters burners are set-up to function, whether they are cycled full on/off to achieve desired temp, or if the flame itself is regulated like that of a gas stove. I will ask. Electric was never an option for me as the main intent was to reduce electricity, which is billed on a tiered rate, and use gas, as gas charges remain constant regardless of units used.

As for heat pumps, I have no idea, I never asked. They are not that common in my area. I do know that my power vented hot water heater (tanked) has the ability to also run a space heater (ala a boiler like setup). As to if this would be enough to heat your fish house to 82 I am not sure, but it's an interesting thing to check into.

-Rick

i have set ours to different temps, i have it to 120 now. i haven't noticed it cycling, once it is running (which takes it about a minute to produces once demand is present) it stays running until demand is met.
i just assumed lower temp setting meant less flame inside the unit. but that could be wrong.

Jack L
07-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Larry, hvac, if you mean one of the Mitsubishi ductless through the wall heat pump/ac units, my father in law installed 2 of them, is very happy with them, but they aren't cheap.

nc0gnet0
07-17-2016, 09:05 PM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air/water-heaters/tankless-water-heaters/overview/tankless-water-heaters-ov.htm

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevity/tankless-water-heaters.html

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 09:52 PM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air/water-heaters/tankless-water-heaters/overview/tankless-water-heaters-ov.htm

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevity/tankless-water-heaters.html

Thanks for posting Rick. I did notice that the first link was written in 2008. Didn't see a date on the 2nd but it seemed to be about the same since they refer to tankless being new. It would seem to me that a lot of advances have been made in the last 8 years but maybe not. They talk about installation being difficult and expensive and I've read a lot of reviews from people that talk about how easy it was.

You have me thinking and I will look around a lot more before making a decision but I still feel that the application of using one in a fish room is so different than trying to run a washing machine or taking a shower is so different that the info presented may not fit. As I said before I don't have a background for this so I may be way off base. They did mention that electric tankless are more efficient and that is what I would be using.

Larry Bugg
07-17-2016, 10:00 PM
Larry, hvac, if you mean one of the Mitsubishi ductless through the wall heat pump/ac units, my father in law installed 2 of them, is very happy with them, but they aren't cheap.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FFRH0822R1-115-volt-Slide-Out-Conditioner/dp/B00L4RLMNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1468807197&sr=1-1&keywords=heat+pump+window+unit

Jack L
07-17-2016, 10:10 PM
agree with consumer reports , didn't read the second.

yeah, trickle of water, doesn't turn on, so more water wasted to run it at full, once it is running at full in can then turn it back down some.

i paid more, but it was part of a package, so i don't know what each piece was.

it has its drawbacks, i doubt it saves any money, in fact when i look at any of the energy efficient savings claims for any product, they payback is never there, appliances don't even last long enough, its good for marketing though, from a fridge, to a hybid, the payback isn't there or its 20 years like the article says.

but i do like not running out of hot water anymore : )

edit, i said "any product"
-------
LED lights aren't just marketing hype, they do save money, and make better light IMHO, not they cost less than what i used to pay for CFL, so they are instant payback.

Jack L
07-17-2016, 10:12 PM
oh, gotcha. didn't know they had these. not too expensive.

Ardan
07-19-2016, 08:16 PM
I think this will make a very nice fish cabin!:) I look forward to updates with the fish in there.

Ardan

Kingdom Come Discus
07-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Man O man, I am going to have to take a trip to Georgia in about a year. That is a cool building.

Willie
07-20-2016, 12:19 AM
Larry;

Just seal up the windows and fill the whole kit and kaboodle with water!

Willie

Larry Bugg
08-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Cleared and leveled the site for the cabin. They delivered it this afternoon. Dropped it off the truck and put a level to it and found I had done a pretty darn good job. Sat very level and just had to put a couple of shims under it. As soon as my finger is healed up enough to have full use of my hand I will get to work with wiring, plumbing and walls.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/Cabin%20delivered%201_zpsevswlpsf.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/Cabin%20delivered%201_zpsevswlpsf.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/Cabin%20delivered%202_zpsgiiuzuab.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/Cabin%20delivered%202_zpsgiiuzuab.jpg.html)

two utes
08-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Very nice! Looking forward to updates. This is going to be sweet. Good luck with everything, and hope your hand heals up good and quick so you can get on with it.

LizStreithorst
08-08-2016, 06:56 PM
I can't wait for you to be all moved in with tanks in place. It's a beautiful setting,

I saw a portable building like that at the portable building place around the corner from my shop. I haven't had the guts to stop and ask how much.

Larry Bugg
08-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Very nice! Looking forward to updates. This is going to be sweet. Good luck with everything, and hope your hand heals up good and quick so you can get on with it.

Thanks Joe. I am ready to get with it. Hopefully by next week I can start getting some work done.

I can't wait for you to be all moved in with tanks in place. It's a beautiful setting,

I saw a portable building like that at the portable building place around the corner from my shop. I haven't had the guts to stop and ask how much.

I can't wait either Liz. It is a beautiful setting and along with keeping and breeding tropical fish I also have a love for gardening. I have a BIG empty canvas to work with. I'll put my retirement to great use.

The buildings aren't cheap by any means but there is no way I could build one for the price I paid for this one used. This one is built by Mennonites here in Ga. but they build them all over the country. The list price for this one new is around $8500. You can usually find these used if you are patient. You can pay cash for them of course but they also do a rent to own and there is little to no credit check so anyone can qualify which means that they end up doing a lot of repo's. While they are in the rent phase the renter is not suppose to do any structural work to them so they are usually in pretty good shape. There is a serial number on them that includes the date built so I know this one was built the middle of 2013 so it is about 3 years old. This one is also already insulated which saves me about another $850.

LizStreithorst
08-08-2016, 10:08 PM
You are too dang young to be retired, Mr. Bugg! I'm 65 and I will retire when I die.

It will be years before I can consider working from home. I want to do it one day.

I didn't know that you're a gardener. You do indeed have a blank canvas. You'll need a truck loads of top soil hauled in and spread. Please post pics as you move along. I want to see every step.

I know all about rent to own. It's a scam that poor people fall for. There should be no such thing as rent to own.

Larry Bugg
08-08-2016, 10:24 PM
You are too dang young to be retired, Mr. Bugg!

I know all about rent to own. It's a scam that poor people fall for. There should be no such thing as rent to own.

Lol, I'm 62 so yes I'm old enough to retire. I actually could have retired at 55 with 30 years in but stayed on till I was 60.

I agree on the rent to own. They make it sound so easy and desirable and then 6 months or a year or two into it and the buyer starts missing payments. The seller gets the building back and sells it again. I guess because they do their own in house financing they can get away with the no credit check.

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 11:06 PM
This is too cool. Congrats on such a great purchase. Ill be quietly following & learning.

Second Hand Pat
08-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Very nice setting Larry and now you can get to work. :) Is there power on the property you can hook into? How many gallons are you planning on? :)
Pat

Larry Bugg
08-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Very nice setting Larry and now you can get to work. :) Is there power on the property you can hook into? How many gallons are you planning on? :)
Pat

No power yet Pat. We will have the well drilled and power run in about 5 or 6 weeks. I think I will have around 1000 gallons.

DJW
08-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Is the well water in your area pretty much the same, so that you know what to expect? Around here you can move a mile and get completely different water.

Larry Bugg
08-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Is the well water in your area pretty much the same, so that you know what to expect? Around here you can move a mile and get completely different water.

It should be very similar to what I am using right now. My sister-in-law is within .2 miles from here and is the same. I will be about 1/2 mile away.

gunnerschh2
08-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Close in a small portion on porch insulate & instal heater or in back a small area for heater & you will have good hot water & not lose any fish space. Harry

LizStreithorst
08-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Good idea, Harry.

Allwin
08-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Wow Larry, just live your life:balloon: Looks like an interesting woods in the background.

Will be exciting to see the inside of cabin pics.!

Jack L
08-11-2016, 07:18 PM
If you have never heard of it look up square foot gardening might be of interest to you I started doing it a couple years ago and it has been pretty successful

Larry Bugg
08-11-2016, 07:45 PM
If you have never heard of it look up square foot gardening might be of interest to you I started doing it a couple years ago and it has been pretty successful

Yup, done it before.

Larry Bugg
08-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Ok, so here is the updated plan. Originally I had planned on walling off the two barn doors at the back of the cabin. New plan is to remove both doors. I am then going to build a 10' x 8' addition off the door openings. This new area will be insulated and will house the two 330 gallon water storage totes. They are 40" x 48" and will take up half of the new room. The remainder of the room will be used to house the refrigerator, sink and work table. May also have enough room left for one or two of the plastic 5 shelf racks I used for supplies in the old fish room. This means I will no longer need a water heater for the tanks as the water in the storage totes will be heated. My fish in the garage have been doing fine with water from the tap but I really like aging my water. Moving the non aquarium items into the new area will allow me to increase my total aquarium gallons to around 1200 gallons and possible leave the two windows in the main area uncovered. If I decide I need more tank space I can always cover the windows and put tanks in front of them at a later time. I like having the windows unobstructed so I can have the natural light in the room during the day.

two utes
08-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Good idea on the expansion for your water storage. I also like the fact that you intend to leave the windows unobstructed, but what do you do not to loose heat through the glass? Or is that not a problem?

Larry Bugg
08-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Good idea on the expansion for your water storage. I also like the fact that you intend to leave the windows unobstructed, but what do you do not to loose heat through the glass? Or is that not a problem?

It is a trade off. We lose heat through the windows in our houses but chose to have them.

Mugwump
08-22-2016, 11:27 AM
The sun will add warmth too, over the course of a day.....just use thermal panes......I'd rather have the light too..

DC Discus
08-22-2016, 01:30 PM
If I decide I need more tank space I can always cover the windows and put tanks in front of them at a later time. I like having the windows unobstructed so I can have the natural light in the room during the day.

Why not put a display tank in front of the window with only the ends painted so the fish can see out the window and into the cabin (watch for you to come feed them) and still let light in. I have a tank in an atrium and the Discus all crowd the side that you can see into house and pretty much just watching us go back and forth. I've also had good success with window films reflecting heat away, if your window gets mid-day direct sunlight.

Cheers,
DC

Mugwump
08-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Why not put a display tank in front of the window with only the ends painted so the fish can see out the window and into the cabin (watch for you to come feed them) and still let light in. I have a tank in an atrium and the Discus all crowd the side that you can see into house and pretty much just watching us go back and forth. I've also had good success with window films reflecting heat away, if your window gets mid-day direct sunlight.

Cheers,
DC

...Algae likes sunlight...:grin:

LizStreithorst
08-22-2016, 07:16 PM
That's the first thing I thought.

DJW
08-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Install skylights and then you can put more tanks.

You can sit back and relax Larry, we'll have this whole deal designed for you in no time. ;)

LizStreithorst
08-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Don't install a skylight. The SOB's always leak over time.

Altum Nut
08-22-2016, 08:38 PM
No skylight or windows and just a small peep hole that only looks out....:thumbsup: I forgot a large lock inside so no one gets in and no one will know that your inside. That is my dream Discus cabin.

...Ralph

Larry Bugg
08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
No tanks in front of unobstructed windows. I'm in the algae camp with Mug on this one. No skylights, they do eventually leak. I'm in the skylight camp with Liz.

No skylight or windows and just a small peep hole that only looks out....:thumbsup: I forgot a large lock inside so no one gets in and no one will know that your inside. That is my dream Discus cabin.

...Ralph

So I like the daylight coming in. If I really run out of tank space I can make the decision then. Lol, Ralph. I live out in the middle of nowhere. I mean really out in the middle of nowhere and my driveway is 1000 feet from the road. My address finally shows up on Google Maps now. Here it is. See the first dirt road on the right on Gordon Rd? Now follow that back till you come to the opening in the trees. That is the building site although if the view was updated it would be much larger as we have cleared about 1 acre. Now zoom out and see what you see. Nothing but forested land and open pastures. Like I said the middle of nowhere. Talk about peace and quite. Went and bought grass seed at the "local" nursery today which caters to farms. You know you have moved to the country when you go in the store looking for grass seed and they don't ask how many sq feet you need to cover, instead they ask how many acres.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gordon+Rd,+Hillsboro,+GA+31038/@33.2158595,-83.6705438,636m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f41eced4fa3115:0x8fcc6 cf4a0bc8689!8m2!3d33.2152224!4d-83.6700705

Altum Nut
08-22-2016, 11:42 PM
I was just kidding Larry and I figured that from the original description when you mentioned it last year or earlier, I indeed knew you were heading somewhere in the bush. Love the lands on Google.
I think your in Holy Country with all the churches. God bless my son :sun:

...Ralph

Ardan
08-23-2016, 07:20 AM
That site is amazing! Can't wait to see what you do inside. Really great to add on and have that space for all the extras and water storage is a good idea. Will you heat the room to 82F or will you have heaters in each tank? Will you have A/C for the hot summer months? Just curious how you will do that.:)

Larry Bugg
08-23-2016, 07:44 AM
That site is amazing! Can't wait to see what you do inside. Really great to add on and have that space for all the extras and water storage is a good idea. Will you heat the room to 82F or will you have heaters in each tank? Will you have A/C for the hot summer months? Just curious how you will do that.:)

The plan is to use either a window or wall mounted heat pump. I do plan on heaters in the tanks but my hope is to keep the room fairly warm so they won't be used much. During the summer it will be cooled but only down to the low 80's so the water temp should be just about right at room temp.

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Larry, have you considering doing any outside vats during the summer?
Pat

Larry Bugg
08-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Larry, have you considering doing any outside vats during the summer?
Pat

I want Liz to send me a couple of those vats she has outside, lol.

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2016, 08:54 AM
I want Liz to send me a couple of those vats she has outside, lol.

Road trip :D

Larry Bugg
09-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Started building the 8' x 10" extension to hold the water storage. We should get the roof on tomorrow morning and then I can start next week on the wiring and plumbing

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160909_141640_zpstbdbyh1h.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160909_141640_zpstbdbyh1h.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160909_154400_zpsx8mrfz15.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160909_154400_zpsx8mrfz15.jpg.html)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160909_173255_zpsgyhe3g4y.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/20160909_173255_zpsgyhe3g4y.jpg.html)

Larry Bugg
09-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Here is about version 20 of the interior of the cabin. Oh, version 21............the stand by the 125 that shows 2 x 20 and 1 x 75 is actually 2 x75. No 20's. Total 1255 gallons not counting the storage.660 gallons of storage water. I left the two windows in the center of the building uncovered. If I need to later I can close off those windows and put another 160 gallons in. I don't show it on the drawing but I will have a work table in front of the two water totes. I also think I can get some shelves in the extension for equipment storage.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/1255%20Gallons_zpsvchoidmf.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Bugman30040/media/12x32%20Deluxe%20Cabin/1255%20Gallons_zpsvchoidmf.jpg.html)

Altum Nut
09-09-2016, 11:04 PM
It coming together Larry and looking great. Glad you thought about storing you tots inside now as I'm sure it's happened to someone in the past who forgot. Your helper...guessing your father in-law did most of the work I would think...Lol

...Ralph

LostSouth
09-09-2016, 11:06 PM
You need to tryout Sketchup Larry.

DJW
09-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Are you going to install a floor drain for the inevitable floods?

Larry Bugg
09-09-2016, 11:13 PM
It coming together Larry and looking great. Glad you thought about storing you tots inside now as I'm sure it's happened to someone in the past who forgot. Your helper...guessing your father in-law did most of the work I would think...Lol

...Ralph

Yup that's my father-in-law and two really good friends/neighbors. Including me that is 4 of the 6 members of the dog pound crew. We meet several days a week in my father-in-laws kitchen for coffee and gossip. We usually find ourselves with a few projects to do every week and we take the pontoon crappie fishing one night a week. It is great to have good friends that don't question........just jump in and do the work. At 74 my father-in-law still works pretty hard but he also has the know how to do all these projects we undertake.

Larry Bugg
09-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Are you going to install a floor drain for the inevitable floods?

My storage totes already have float valves so no floods there. I am seriously considering putting float valves in the tanks also.

Mugwump
09-10-2016, 09:07 AM
..Looks good, Larry.....how are you handling the slop sink drainage?....floor drainage??

Larry Bugg
09-10-2016, 01:27 PM
..Looks good, Larry.....how are you handling the slop sink drainage?....floor drainage??

Pvc drain running down each side of the building. All the tanks are drilled and will attach to the floor drain and then go outside. I would eventually like to collect the dirty water to use in the garden but that will come later.

Mugwump
09-10-2016, 02:43 PM
ah....very good.....tomatoes and peppers love fish water.....

Larry Bugg
09-10-2016, 03:25 PM
ah....very good.....tomatoes and peppers love fish water.....

I have no doubt this is correct. I just need to figure out the logistics of how I am going to accomplish it. If I plant a garden fairly close then I might have the water flow out of the cabin to the garden and then attach a bunch of drip hoses to the line. Then everyday when I do water changes the drained water would go straight to the garden. The trick is having the garden downhill from the cabin.

Simplejustin
09-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Even if they are on the same level it should work out because the tanks are on stands, no?

LizStreithorst
09-10-2016, 03:53 PM
I tried this twice and it never worked that way. The fish poo will clog up a drip hose immediately. The same happens with drip irrigation, too. I found out that even when I drilled 1/4" holes in PVC I ran out to the garden. I has to be done using containers and a pump. If you manage it, please let me know how you did it.

I have all my water running to a place where I have nothing but woods. I could have a pond if I wanted one. It's so dry here that everything is either crisp or wilting. The trees and privet in that area are healthy and beautiful.

BTW, I stopped by the portable building place and looked at the building. It has a loft. Does yours have a loft? You were right about the price. It was a bit over $8,000. I did the math on the "rent to own" just for fun. It was $371. a month for 36 months. "Rent to Own" is a scam on the people who can least afford it, It is a disgrace, but is is legal. I need to get on my political high horse and write a letter to my senator.

Larry Bugg
09-10-2016, 04:15 PM
I tried this twice and it never worked that way. The fish poo will clog up a drip hose immediately. The same happens with drip irrigation, too. I found out that even when I drilled 1/4" holes in PVC I ran out to the garden. I has to be done using containers and a pump. If you manage it, please let me know how you did it.

I have all my water running to a place where I have nothing but woods. I could have a pond if I wanted one. It's so dry here that everything is either crisp or wilting. The trees and privet in that area are healthy and beautiful.

BTW, I stopped by the portable building place and looked at the building. It has a loft. Does yours have a loft? You were right about the price. It was a bit over $8,000. I did the math on the "rent to own" just for fun. It was $371. a month for 36 months. "Rent to Own" is a scam on the people who can least afford it, It is a disgrace, but is is legal. I need to get on my political high horse and write a letter to my senator.

Thanks for the info Liz. I have till next spring to figure out the logistics, just didn't want to have to use a pump but that may be the only way. With as much water as I change it would be a sin to let it go to waste. I don't have a loft in mine. They make it with and without the loft. Lots of people nowadays buying the one with the loft and using it for a little house like the ones you see on tv or for cabin in the woods.

Larry Bugg
09-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Even if they are on the same level it should work out because the tanks are on stands, no?

The tanks are on stands but you have to have the drain on a slant in the fish room. Running 32' from one end to the other means that the drain will be very close to the floor by the time you take the drain out of the building. It really has to be down hill from there to where ever you are taking it.

LizStreithorst
09-10-2016, 05:08 PM
My water is dirt cheap but I hate wasting it. It has this great fish poo in it! I do have 5 50 or 60 gallon plastic containers with bulk heads in them. I could plumb them together easily enough. I'd need a huge pump because where the container would sit is down hill from the fish room and up hill from where I need it. I used to have a swimming pool pump that could do it but a low life neighbor stole it from me.

Watering the plants with fish water is far from first on my to do list, but it's always working in the back of my mind. If only I wanted a pond...

Keith Perkins
09-10-2016, 06:26 PM
The tanks are on stands but you have to have the drain on a slant in the fish room. Running 32' from one end to the other means that the drain will be very close to the floor by the time you take the drain out of the building. It really has to be down hill from there to where ever you are taking it.

How much are you planning on pitching your drain pipes Larry? You can get away with as little as a 1/4" per foot.

Pompadour Discus
11-11-2016, 04:37 PM
The floor should be fine as it is. The cabin sits on four treated runners that span from front to back with 4' between each one. The floor joist are treated 2x6 on 16" centers sitting across the runners. It shouldn't have any problem holding the weight of the tanks. AC, lol. It has been 95 to 101 here since May with the heat index sometimes hitting 110. I got lucky because the cabin is already insulated but AC and heat will be necessary. I'm planning on a wall mounted heat pump unit that handles both. I will only plan on cooling to the low 80's and heat to about the same. The well water here is pretty good and I've been doing wc's straight from the tap with no issues so I'm going to use a tankless water heater and run it though a thermostatic valve to maintain the temp going into the tanks.

WOW!! My future Discus will be so incredibly jealous!! ;):p:o I want a cabin to because I want to eventually get stingrays as well and will need extra room for a much much larger tank in the coming years

Phillydubs
11-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Speaking of... It is UPDATE TIME...

Let's go Larry Spill it I want to hear the juicy details!

Larry Bugg
11-11-2016, 09:05 PM
There are no juicy details. Building a house is a PITA. This will be the 7th primary house I have bought and the first that I had built. I had a lake house built but it didn't count because we weren't pressed to get in it to live. Every time I turn around there is another 3 or 4 weeks added to the completion date. The EMC started cutting trees today to get power in to the house. Probably the first of next week before that is done and then who knows how long it will take them to get it from the last pole underground to the house. Being 1000 feet off the road does complicate things. The well is dug (420 feet) but they still have to come out and install the tank and pump and run the electical to it and plumb to the house. The footing and foundation was put in 2 1/2 weeks ago and the two pieces of the house were brought in 2 weeks ago and the cranes came in 9 days ago and placed the house on the foundation and then it was secured to the foundation from the crawl space up. Half a house at 45,000 lbs swinging in the air from two cranes is pretty amazing, lol. The trim work inside won't be started till power and water are working. Maybe we will be in before Christmas. All that said the fish room hasn't had a lot done to it since we don't have power and water yet. The cabin sits right next to the well so when power is run from the house to the well I will use the same ditch to bury the power to the cabin. When the well pump and tank are installed I will have the water run to the cabin. So everyone is still in the tanks in the garage at my father-in-laws house. All are doing fine.

atlantadiscus
11-11-2016, 09:36 PM
If there is a "next house" build in your future,include deadline dates for completion along with suitable rebates { fines }for missing them as part of the contract.

Phillydubs
11-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Ugh I know he feeling all too well. Took over two years to build mine.

Set back central. And I was living w my inlaws at the time. It's amazing I'm not locked up for a gruesome crime. Lol

Poppa Ryno
11-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Im just in awe of all of this, Larry. Hope it goes well and quick. I will never be able to get a house let a lone accomplish all that building too. So im livin vicariously here because your living my dream. Keep the updates coming.

Leland F.
11-13-2016, 08:59 AM
If you wanted to water something uphill with the used water, your drains could drain into a sump pump pit, installed in the floor at grade, with an overflow drain in the pit that led outside. A sumo pump could be turned on during water changes to pump the water wherever you want, when not in use, it would just overflow and run down the overflow drain, and gravity feed outside.

-Leland

two utes
02-01-2017, 05:12 PM
There are no juicy details. Building a house is a PITA. This will be the 7th primary house I have bought and the first that I had built. I had a lake house built but it didn't count because we weren't pressed to get in it to live. Every time I turn around there is another 3 or 4 weeks added to the completion date. The EMC started cutting trees today to get power in to the house. Probably the first of next week before that is done and then who knows how long it will take them to get it from the last pole underground to the house. Being 1000 feet off the road does complicate things. The well is dug (420 feet) but they still have to come out and install the tank and pump and run the electical to it and plumb to the house. The footing and foundation was put in 2 1/2 weeks ago and the two pieces of the house were brought in 2 weeks ago and the cranes came in 9 days ago and placed the house on the foundation and then it was secured to the foundation from the crawl space up. Half a house at 45,000 lbs swinging in the air from two cranes is pretty amazing, lol. The trim work inside won't be started till power and water are working. Maybe we will be in before Christmas. All that said the fish room hasn't had a lot done to it since we don't have power and water yet. The cabin sits right next to the well so when power is run from the house to the well I will use the same ditch to bury the power to the cabin. When the well pump and tank are installed I will have the water run to the cabin. So everyone is still in the tanks in the garage at my father-in-laws house. All are doing fine.

Hi Larry. I know you have bigger fish to fry, but was wondering how your discus cabin is going? I think its time for some more pics here.
I've only seen houses been moved on t.v. Care to share some pics of that as well?

Larry Bugg
03-06-2017, 08:40 PM
It has been slow going but I have been working hard on the new fish house for the last couple of weeks. Whew!! Electrical wiring has been run. Insulation has been installed in walls and ceiling. Sheetrock has been hung. Not mudding the sheetrock and not painting it either. The fish don't care what it looks like. The two 330 gallon storage tank have been plumbed. The sink and fridge are in place. Racks have been built. New tanks have been drilled and painted. New and old tanks are installed on the rack and plumbed for drain. Today I finished plumbing the water from the storage to each tank. Each tank has a ball valve for clean water and a ball valve for drains. Considering adding float valves in each tank at a later date. New linear pump from Jhemco has been installed and pvc with air valves has been run over all the tanks. Tomorrow morning I will wipe down the tanks and fill them up. Discus will be moving in tomorrow!!!!

Pics and videos to come............

LizStreithorst
03-06-2017, 08:48 PM
I can't wait.

Kirbs
03-06-2017, 08:56 PM
I am looking forward to seeing it Larry!

Mugwump
03-06-2017, 09:44 PM
....great progress, Larry....can't wait for those pics

nc0gnet0
03-06-2017, 10:00 PM
It has been slow going but I have been working hard on the new fish house for the last couple of weeks. Whew!! Electrical wiring has been run. Insulation has been installed in walls and ceiling. Sheetrock has been hung. Not mudding the sheetrock and not painting it either. The fish don't care what it looks like. The two 330 gallon storage tank have been plumbed. The sink and fridge are in place. Racks have been built. New tanks have been drilled and painted. New and old tanks are installed on the rack and plumbed for drain. Today I finished plumbing the water from the storage to each tank. Each tank has a ball valve for clean water and a ball valve for drains. Considering adding float valves in each tank at a later date. New linear pump from Jhemco has been installed and pvc with air valves has been run over all the tanks. Tomorrow morning I will wipe down the tanks and fill them up. Discus will be moving in tomorrow!!!!

Pics and videos to come............

Can't wait to see the finished product. Aren't you worried about the sheetrock absorbing moisture? (no paint)

Altum Nut
03-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Aren't you worried about the sheetrock absorbing moisture? (no paint)

My thought as well. Maybe tough now that racks/tanks and plumbing is complete. I'm sure Larry thought this out and suspect all will be fine.
Looks like you've been kicking a** to get everything up and running.:thumbsup:

...Ralph

rickztahone
03-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Can't wait to see the finished product. Aren't you worried about the sheetrock absorbing moisture? (no paint)

My thought as well. Maybe tough now that racks/tanks and plumbing is complete. I'm sure Larry thought this out and suspect all will be fine.
Looks like you've been kicking a** to get everything up and running.:thumbsup:

...Ralph

yes hopefully. It doesn't need paint to look pretty but something to seal it is advisable.

LizStreithorst
03-07-2017, 05:57 PM
They make water resistant Sheetrock. If I remember right it's light green.

jim LI
03-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Just an FYI.....http://www.homeadditionplus.com/dev/drywall/greenboard-drywall/

LizStreithorst
03-08-2017, 06:33 PM
It should be fine for Mr. Bugg's fish room.

weedyau
06-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Looks good. A hot house and aquaponics would fix nitrates. Have any discus keepers tried this?

Laurel
04-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Very excited for you Larry. I know this post is late but just in case you need a better tankless water heater, you can always check this article out (https://verellenhc.com/tankless-water-heater/best-natural-gas). Make sure you get the right tankless water heater for your beautiful cabin and fish room.

Jack L
04-24-2018, 11:35 PM
Very excited for you Larry. I know this post is late but just in case you need a better tankless water heater, you can always check this article out (https://verellenhc.com/tankless-water-heater/best-natural-gas). Make sure you get the right tankless water heater for your beautiful cabin and fish room.

why do i get the sense that a bot posted this?