PDA

View Full Version : I think I might need more filtration

reaper7534
07-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Currently have a 55 standard with 5 juvi discus in it from Hans ( 2.5") All I have for filtration right now is two Hydro IV sponges filters. They seem to a decent job, but wondering if I'd be ok adding a little more. I vacuum the bottom of the tank and do a 75% water change every other day.

I'm thinking of adding a eheim 2213 canister and not a HOB since this is in my room and I don't want the noise.

I don't really know how much flow these put out, just don't want to make the swimming condition too strong. I've had the fish for a little over a week. I have one that isn't eating, but is approaching the food. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he starts eating. Had some initial bullying from the dark angel so that may have curbed his hunger, the aggression has stopped now though.

Also have another tank with 10 discus all doing well.

LizStreithorst
07-16-2016, 06:14 PM
You have enough filtration with the sponges you have. It never hurts to add more but IMO it is not necessary for you.

Kareen15
07-16-2016, 07:30 PM
I had 8 of mine in a 40 breeder with two sponge filter just keep up with your w/c and you'll be fine.

reaper7534
07-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I really only wanted a filter for some water polishing even though that's not really needed with the frequent water changes. I went ahead and got a 2217, it will most likely go on the larger tank since it will probably be too overpowering for the juvies. I got too good of a deal to pass up even if I were to resell it. 75 bucks new from a guy on CL that decided to go drilled after he bought it.

Bc chick
07-17-2016, 04:31 PM
What does go drilled mean?

MD.David
07-17-2016, 04:36 PM
You have 3-4x's the bio filtration already required and that's very good, no need for more, the only thing your going to achieve with a canister filter is possibly clear'r water, if that's even possible.
The draw backs are food will get sucked into your canister (even if you do a pre filter, but I find it still gets threw some how), this will easily build and become a potential nitrite bomb waiting to kill your fish.
It's not that canister filters are bad, they just need high regular maintenance and if you don't your basically building a bomb that you can't see.
But they do give you nice clear water and they do a great job at that, however I like fool proof, If I forget (and when life is busy we all can forget) to clean out my sponge for a few weeks zero happens, but a canister or HOB can be very devastating in the right environment.
Personally I have had several bad experiences, all my own fault, but not I make everything fool proof.
IMO, stick with sponge filters only, they work great and look super awesome!
Here is some information about sponge filters and the size ratings.
http://windsoraquaria.proboards.com/thread/2809/master-sponge-filter

reaper7534
07-17-2016, 07:26 PM
You have 3-4x's the bio filtration already required and that's very good, no need for more, the only thing your going to achieve with a canister filter is possibly clear'r water, if that's even possible.
The draw backs are food will get sucked into your canister (even if you do a pre filter, but I find it still gets threw some how), this will easily build and become a potential nitrite bomb waiting to kill your fish.
It's not that canister filters are bad, they just need high regular maintenance and if you don't your basically building a bomb that you can't see.
But they do give you nice clear water and they do a great job at that, however I like fool proof, If I forget (and when life is busy we all can forget) to clean out my sponge for a few weeks zero happens, but a canister or HOB can be very devastating in the right environment.
Personally I have had several bad experiences, all my own fault, but not I make everything fool proof.
IMO, stick with sponge filters only, they work great and look super awesome!
Here is some information about sponge filters and the size ratings.
http://windsoraquaria.proboards.com/thread/2809/master-sponge-filter

Biological filtration, I know I have that covered. I was just thinking more on the line of mechanical. Another reason I was thinking canister was to use a inline heater and possibly UV although I'm not really sold on that. My 75g is heavily over filtrated, but there is one other person in the house that helps take care of the tanks so it's not a issue changing media.

On the 75g, I have two canister, a V sponge and a AC110. The small canister is only used to feed Co2 and the larger houses coarse sponge, filter floss and purigen.

MD.David
07-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Why have so much mechanical filtration?
Are you building a hot rod???...lol
(Sorry I had to make a Tim Allen joke, no offense mate).
So many times Aquariumists look at their tanks filtration like a hot rod, trying to make it bigger, faster, stronger, better etc.
Reality is what are we really trying to achieve?
I would answer "the optimal health of the fish", but I suppose some people like to have fun with gizmos and stuff, I know I did at one time. Now all I want is healthy fish, I want them to live and grow in a minimal stress free environment as possible.
Have you considered how much flow your creating in your tank?

Biological filtration, I know I have that covered. I was just thinking more on the line of mechanical. Another reason I was thinking canister was to use a inline heater and possibly UV although I'm not really sold on that. My 75g is heavily over filtrated, but there is one other person in the house that helps take care of the tanks so it's not a issue changing media.

On the 75g, I have two canister, a V sponge and a AC110. The small canister is only used to feed Co2 and the larger houses coarse sponge, filter floss and purigen.

reaper7534
07-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Why have so much mechanical filtration?
Are you building a hot rod???...lol
(Sorry I had to make a Tim Allen joke, no offense mate).
So many times Aquariumists look at their tanks filtration like a hot rod, trying to make it bigger, faster, stronger, better etc.
Reality is what are we really trying to achieve?
I would answer "the optimal health of the fish", but I suppose some people like to have fun with gizmos and stuff, I know I did at one time. Now all I want is healthy fish, I want them to live and grow in a minimal stress free environment as possible.
Have you considered how much flow your creating in your tank?

As far as the 75g, the AC110 is the only thing that puts out flow. The canisters are weak, just some ebay SunSun stuff. I put ball valves on them initially because I was worried about flow being too much, turned out it wasn't needed.

On the 55g, again the eheim has control valves so I can throttle down and not push the juvies around.

I agree I am definitely a gadget guy, I just want that pristine water. If I find the filter is too much, I won't lose money on it since I picked it up so cheap.

I'm also coming from the saltwater reef side where we lived by equipment, sometimes I don't know when enough is enough, lol.

MD.David
07-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Let's compare this to music;
Salt water is like Tom Schultz in Boston, as much gear as possible , give you that slick sound.
Discus tank: Albert King, all stripped down only acoustic guitar, nothing else but talent, and skill, less is more and less is more powerful but when you go head to head the dirt-blues guy rocks it, with more feel then anything else.
That's what I believe discus keeping is, it's like stripped down dirt blues, all feel and talent. Less is more and simplicity of a beautiful simple tank with a stunning discus is amazing.

As far as the 75g, the AC110 is the only thing that puts out flow. The canisters are weak, just some ebay SunSun stuff. I put ball valves on them initially because I was worried about flow being too much, turned out it wasn't needed.

On the 55g, again the eheim has control valves so I can throttle down and not push the juvies around.

I agree I am definitely a gadget guy, I just want that pristine water. If I find the filter is too much, I won't lose money on it since I picked it up so cheap.

I'm also coming from the saltwater reef side where we lived by equipment, sometimes I don't know when enough is enough, lol.

Clawhammer
07-18-2016, 05:27 PM
I think you meant to say Robert Johnson instead of Albert King, who played an electric Flying V. Can't argue with the spirit of your analogy though! love me some blues!

Willie
07-22-2016, 08:41 PM
If you're doing large water changes like that, there's isn't much to filter. Sounds like you want to polish your water so that the fish look like they're floating. To do that, you'll need a micron filter. Simplest set up would be a Hang on BAck Magnum with a micron sleeve.

Willie

LizStreithorst
07-22-2016, 09:08 PM
The wonderful Magnum 250's have been discontinued. Thank God I have 12 of them. I think that what he wants is a diatom filter.

pitdogg2
07-23-2016, 08:28 AM
The wonderful Magnum 250's have been discontinued. Thank God I have 12 of them. I think that what he wants is a diatom filter.

Yep for an in tank power head with a small Magnum.like sleeve. What the heck is marineland thinking?