PDA

View Full Version : Lowest and highest temperature

a.person61
07-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Hello, from my understanding the temp range is 28 to 35. Although i couldn't help but notice some people keeping them as low as 27.
So whats a safe temperature range? For adults and for the younger ones.

discuspaul
07-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Rather than using the word 'safe' temperature range, which can be very wide and interpreted many ways, I'd comment on a 'comfortable' discus temp range under normal circumstances instead, which I feel would be in a small range from 81 F to 85 F, perhaps 86 at the outer edge, for both young fish & adults.

That's my opinion.

William1
07-17-2016, 11:33 PM
Interesting. I had my water temps at 84-85. Warm to the touch. I recently dialed it down to 82 degrees F. My guys have been much less active since, hiding more and skittish. I'm going to dial it up a bit and see what the result is. Maybe 83 is the magic number. Seems strange, but that is part of the deal. Finding the right formula.
Cheers, BK

MD.David
07-17-2016, 11:50 PM
I actually should start using a thermometer again, it's been about a year since I had a working one.

Filip
07-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Higher temps. speeds up fish metabolism and activity .
This means more food demand and thus more maintenance/WC. On top of this in higher temps. Bacteria thrives and multiplies at much faster rate , meaning the water quality fouls much quicker , which again leads to more maintenance /WC.
That is mostly why people choose the lowest end of the temp. margin -82 f. that is .

As for why not go lower than 82 f I would like to here an experienced or educative answer.
My opinion on this is that lower temp. -Less then 82 ,opens an opportynity for growth of new types of bacteria or pathogens that discus immune system is not familiar with , and which on the other hand , aren't able to live on +82 f temps . Like common Ichtio for instance .

This is only my POW . I would like to here what more experienced has to say on this matter.

Willie
07-19-2016, 06:23 PM
I keep my breeding tanks between 78 - 82F, so 25.5 - 26.5C. The discus do fine and I think they will breed longer. My grow out tanks are 82 - 84F, mainly so the discus will be hungrier and eat more. If a fish goes on a hunger strike, I bring the temperature up to 90F.

Some bacteria, only some, can divide faster at higher temperatures. But the final bacteria population is dependent on the amount of food available. Higher temperatures do not foul water any more than lower temperatures preserve water quality. Note that daily/nightly temperatures in the Amazon span a wide range, so these differences are unlikely to make much difference in fish health.

Willie

Filip
07-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Some bacteria, only some, can divide faster at higher temperatures. But the final bacteria population is dependent on the amount of food available. Higher temperatures do not foul water any more than lower temperatures preserve water quality.

Willie

Are they the type of bacteria that compromises discus immune system causing health problems ?