PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it

Ryan925
07-18-2016, 08:07 PM
As I was very happy with my planted tank and how well my plants looked I decided to go with less in favor of my discus. I removed the majority of the plants and decided to go with an anubias island. I kept the two red swords I had and a couple small crypts. Not sure if this is final layout yet but so far I am pleased. Fish probably are. As well99689
Before
After

Bc chick
07-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Beatiful tank. Love the simple driftwood not to big. I notice you have a wavemaker. Is this for the discus? Do they like alot of current?

Ryan925
07-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Thank you. I think I am happy with the simplified look.

It's actually not a wave maker. It's just a nano pump. I have it aimed directly at the anubias. I have it on a timer that is only on with the photo period of my lights. I am hoping that the flow across the anubias will help to deter the gsa that likes to grow on their leaves. The current from the nano pump doesn't bother the discus during the day and its off at night during their rest time.

Bc chick
07-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Thank you. I think I am happy with the simplified look.

It's actually not a wave maker. It's just a nano pump. I have it aimed directly at the anubias. I have it on a timer that is only on with the photo period of my lights. I am hoping that the flow across the anubias will help to deter the gsa that likes to grow on their leaves. The current from the nano pump doesn't bother the discus during the day and its off at night during their rest time.

so far.... Knock on wood. I do nothing for my anubias and they grow like crazy n healthy never a alge proble.. Now my java ferns, different story. Black spots all the time

Ryan925
07-18-2016, 09:11 PM
My anubias grow very fast as well. Typically only algae I have in my tank is gsa which I'm sure is from lower phosphate levels. Gsa isnt all that terrible but would prefer not to have at all.

I don't have Java fern anymore but had the same issue as you.

I removed a lot of large swords and prior to that had removed all my pygmy chain swords. Those things were growing at an insane rate.

Bc chick
07-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Gta is?

Ryan925
07-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Gta is?

Green spot algae

Filip
07-19-2016, 03:30 AM
Your previous planted setup looks more appealing to me Ryan , but I can understand and support the change that you've made towards easier and better discus keeping practice.
New setup is also a decent looking discus planted tank.
Next step that I would consider IIWY would be to change that dark gravel to some finergrained brighter sand bottom.
This would also add up to better water quality and easier maintenance even further and it can also make your fish display brighter colours .

Ryan925
07-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Your previous planted setup looks more appealing to me Ryan , but I can understand and support the change that you've made towards easier and better discus keeping practice.
New setup is also a decent looking discus planted tank.
Next step that I would consider IIWY would be to change that dark gravel to some finergrained brighter sand bottom.
This would also add up to better water quality and easier maintenance even further and it can also make your fish display brighter colours .

Thank you for the suggestions as this is always a work in progress for me. I actually would like to have a white sand bottom just don't know that I'm ready to go through the process of a substrate change.

If I were to go for the substrate change how do you suggest I go about it? I believe read the fish should be removed correct?

I have noticed already that the lightened plant load seems to have the fish using more or the tank space. Also my corys and otos are much more active and less inclined to dart into a hiding place when walking up to the tank

Filip
07-19-2016, 10:03 AM
You can siphon out the substrate in a bucket partially during every WC . That would be easier but it will take more time , a week or so.
If you want an instant solution-tank tear down , it would be wise to put out your discus in a 5-10 gallons bucket for a couple of hours with aeration an heater in.
Having a planted setup I have also noticed an increased activty ,more swimming around and less pecking and fights when I have less plants taking their space .

Ryan925
07-19-2016, 10:09 AM
You can siphon out the substrate in a bucket partially during every WC . That would be easier but it will take more time , a week or so.
If you want an instant solution-tank tear down , it would be wise to put out your discus in a 5-10 gallons bucket for a couple of hours with aeration an heater in.
Having a planted setup I have also noticed an increased activty ,more swimming around and less pecking and fights when I have less plants taking their space .

Thanks for the tips Filip.

I guess I would need something pretty strong to suck up the eco?
I also notice that my rafflesia is "shaking" at my golden check and they like to go to one corner where the rafflesia is nibbling at the large red sword. Possible pairing behavior?

They also seem to like cruising in and out of the bottom manzanita. I have always found it so funny to watch a large discus swim horizontally to squeeze into a small space to snag some food. Graceful fish swimming practically parallel to the bottom under a piece of wood is a sight.

Bc chick
07-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the tips Filip.

I guess I would need something pretty strong to suck up the eco?
I also notice that my rafflesia is "shaking" at my golden check and they like to go to one corner where the rafflesia is nibbling at the large red sword. Possible pairing behavior?

They also seem to like cruising in and out of the bottom manzanita. I have always found it so funny to watch a large discus swim horizontally to squeeze into a small space to snag some food. Graceful fish swimming practically parallel to the bottom under a piece of wood is a sight.

i cant wait!

NeiMan
07-19-2016, 02:51 PM
I liked the before and after shots, have to agree with filip in regards to substrate colour. But it's all personal preference.
Looking good though Ryan

Ryan925
07-19-2016, 05:36 PM
I liked the before and after shots, have to agree with filip in regards to substrate colour. But it's all personal preference.
Looking good though Ryan

After reading so much on this forum I do prefer the sand and driftwood look. I think I will just wait until I decide to upgrade my tank size and do it then. I'm happy with my tank for now.

Next I want to go much larger with a single strain or possibly 2 strains

Ryan925
07-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Very interesting. Within about 3 days of removing a large number of plants my rafflesia is laying eggs on one of the large swords that I decided to leave. Coincidence? Maybe?

scrappinjaime
07-20-2016, 01:49 AM
It looks great!

Ryan925
07-20-2016, 01:59 AM
It looks great!
Ty very much. I am happy and discus definitely seem happier

Filip
07-20-2016, 10:05 AM
I guess I would need something pretty strong to suck up the eco? .

Eco complete is indeed coarse and heavy to suck up , but I still think that with an 1 inch hose it can be done .

Ryan925
07-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Eco complete is indeed coarse and heavy to suck up , but I still think that with an 1 inch hose it can be done .

Thanks again Filip. I may give it a test run.

So if I'm able to siphon out all the gravel am I able to add the sand with fish in or would it be better to remove them for that process?

Any #20 silica pfs works right? I work in the pool industry so have access to all the pfs at wholesale I need.

Filip
07-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks again Filip. I may give it a test run.

So if I'm able to siphon out all the gravel am I able to add the sand with fish in or would it be better to remove them for that process?

Any #20 silica pfs works right? I work in the pool industry so have access to all the pfs at wholesale I need.

I have put mine with a bucket with discus in it. No problems whatsoever. Just clean and rinse it good prior using it and spill it gently with the bucket touching the bottom of the tank .

Sand size #20 to #30 is optimal .Look for white pool filter quartz silica sand .
The change from gravel to PFS will be instantly appreciated by discus and noticeable in their activity and more vibrant colours they will display .

Ryan925
07-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I have put mine with a bucket with discus in it. No problems whatsoever. Just clean and rinse it good prior using it and spill it gently with the bucket touching the bottom of the tank .

Sand size #20 to #30 is optimal .Look for white pool filter quartz silica sand .
The change from gravel to PFS will be instantly appreciated by discus and noticeable in their activity and more vibrant colours they will display .

Thanks so much for all of the advice. It is very much appreciated.

Ryan925
07-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Just wanted to update. Since my rescape my group seems noticeably happier. My rafflesia laid eggs last week and now it seems another two are beginning to pair off.

When I do water changes I thoroughly vac my gravel. I now notice very little debris being sucked out.

I still need to make the move of replacing substrate but so far so good. I definitely made the right choice.

Ok guys go ahead with the "I told you sos" :D

Truly though thanks for all the advice. This forum is so beneficial to newbies and vets alike.99870

Poppa Ryno
07-28-2016, 11:14 PM
I say not in the least...to the amazon sword & eggs, Lol. Its my saph rubies fav spot to lay eggs.

Ryan925
07-28-2016, 11:38 PM
I say not in the least...to the amazon sword & eggs, Lol. Its my saph rubies fav spot to lay eggs.

Your rubies are beautiful.

My rafflesia kinda flattened out one of the sword leaves and laid eggs. Now the new pair is cleaning a piece of the manzanita.

I removed a lot of swords because they were growing like crazy. I just left the 2 red ones.

Ryan925
08-03-2016, 10:43 PM
After seeing positive results of minimizing plants in my tank I think I am going to take the advice and go for the substrate change as well.

It just seems like such a daunting task but maybe I am overthinking it.

I am just afraid of causing undue stress to the fish or experiencing potential complications with removing them from the tank.
It sounds like all I need to do is net then into a bucket of tank water with a heater and airstone correct? I assume the water in the bucket shouldn't be full to avoid risk of jumping when trying to net them back to tank?

My plan once removing them would be to then remove rock plants and wood and drain tank to near empty. Then scoop out all the gravel. I don't want to drain 100% as I have some corys and otos and don't know how hard it would be to catch the little guys. I figure I will thoroughly vac gravel while the water is siphoning. I then will try and wipe out any leftover debris. May be tough with some water in but guess I will have to see. Then will put back a thin layer of pfs.

I'm sure the fish will be happier in the longrun regardless of the stress of the move.

Is there anything I should be concerned about or careful to do or not to do?

Thanks

Filip
08-04-2016, 03:12 AM
After seeing positive results of minimizing plants in my tank I think I am going to take the advice and go for the substrate change as well.

It just seems like such a daunting task but maybe I am overthinking it.

I am just afraid of causing undue stress to the fish or experiencing potential complications with removing them from the tank.
It sounds like all I need to do is net then into a bucket of tank water with a heater and airstone correct? I assume the water in the bucket shouldn't be full to avoid risk of jumping when trying to net them back to tank?

My plan once removing them would be to then remove rock plants and wood and drain tank to near empty. Then scoop out all the gravel. I don't want to drain 100% as I have some corys and otos and don't know how hard it would be to catch the little guys. I figure I will thoroughly vac gravel while the water is siphoning. I then will try and wipe out any leftover debris. May be tough with some water in but guess I will have to see. Then will put back a thin layer of pfs.

I'm sure the fish will be happier in the longrun regardless of the stress of the move.

Is there anything I should be concerned about or careful to do or not to do?

Thanks

Great decision Ryan . Youl see a remarkable change in colour of discus right away since your current substrate is black.
And don't be afraid , its not very stressful for the fish nor its a very complicated task to perform.

I would put out all the decor,equipmment and plants first and then chase to net the discus , to prevent potential injuries.
After that you drain 90% water with bottom still undisturbed and than easily net all other small fish from the shallow water.
Then , when there is nothing in anymore , just get a shavel and start digging :-) .
Wipe throughout all the tank walls afterwards and then put the new sand , water ,dechlorinator,equipment , decor and plants and run the filters and heaters W/o the fish.
Wait 2 hours for filters to suck up and strip the microbubbles from the new water before you put the fish back in and ........VOILA , that's about it :-).

Meanwhile in the bucket , just run a heater and an airstone , and put some mesh lid on it to prevent jumpers.
More water in the bucket , more dilution capacity.

Kyla
08-04-2016, 07:40 AM
cant wait to see it with new sand! i hate netting my discus too - i try to herd them one by one with a net into a large bowl and then scoop them up at the surface of the water, makes less abraisions that way. wish i could grab them with my hands like u see in the pics and vids but im way too scared of getting sliced by their spikey dorsal lol

Ryan925
08-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Great decision Ryan . Youl see a remarkable change in colour of discus right away since your current substrate is black.
And don't be afraid , its not very stressful for the fish nor its a very complicated task to perform.

I would put out all the decor,equipmment and plants first and then chase to net the discus , to prevent potential injuries.
After that you drain 90% water with bottom still undisturbed and than easily net all other small fish from the shallow water.
Then , when there is nothing in anymore , just get a shavel and start digging :-) .
Wipe throughout all the tank walls afterwards and then put the new sand , water ,dechlorinator,equipment , decor and plants and run the filters and heaters W/o the fish.
Wait 2 hours for filters to suck up and strip the microbubbles from the new water before you put the fish back in and ........VOILA , that's about it :-).

Meanwhile in the bucket , just run a heater and an airstone , and put some mesh lid on it to prevent jumpers.
More water in the bucket , more dilution capacity.

Thanks Filip that really helps. Makes me feel a little more at ease. Think so will try and attempt it this weekend if so have the time

Ryan925
08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
cant wait to see it with new sand! i hate netting my discus too - i try to herd them one by one with a net into a large bowl and then scoop them up at the surface of the water, makes less abraisions that way. wish i could grab them with my hands like u see in the pics and vids but im way too scared of getting sliced by their spikey dorsal lol

Lol so actual my thought about grabbing them since so have to push them out of the way anytime I have my arm in the tank anyway

Ryan925
08-05-2016, 02:17 PM
I believe since my rescape my runt is looking much better.

I will be going for it this weekend and changing the substrate.

Wish me luck100228

Neptune
08-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Good Luck Ryan! I'm about to undertake this exact same thing in the next day or two. I recently scrubbed my sump so I'm giving that a day or two regrow some bacteria and then I'm going to swap substrate with PFS and reduce my plant load and rock piles.

Ryan925
08-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Good Luck Ryan! I'm about to undertake this exact same thing in the next day or two. I recently scrubbed my sump so I'm giving that a day or two regrow some bacteria and then I'm going to swap substrate with PFS and reduce my plant load and rock piles.

You will be glad you did it. Good call on letting the sump reestablish the BB. That was the one problem I have run into was the loss of bb from my gravel. Here's a before and after.

Fish look instantly brighter it's amazing
Before

Neptune
08-10-2016, 10:52 AM
That last picture...is that the same fish in the left and the right??

Ryan925
08-10-2016, 11:01 AM
That last picture...is that the same fish in the left and the right??

Yep same fish100380

Neptune
08-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread but....
could not find pool filter sand except the red flint stuff. It is a darker brown/red and I didn't like it. I sucked it up and bought CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight.
Paid $32 for 50lbs so it didn't break the bank too badly. I'm ready to go! I'm right there with ya brother! Probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Ryan925
08-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread but....
could not find pool filter sand except the red flint stuff. It is a darker brown/red and I didn't like it. I sucked it up and bought CaribSea Super Naturals Moonlight.
Paid $32 for 50lbs so it didn't break the bank too badly. I'm ready to go! I'm right there with ya brother! Probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

I found the quartz white pfs at ace hardware. Was like $12 bucks per 50*. I bought 2 bags but only put one in my 75

Neptune
08-10-2016, 09:45 PM
I found the quartz white pfs at ace hardware. Was like $12 bucks per 50*. I bought 2 bags but only put one in my 75
Must be this market. I called every Ace in 20 mile radius..no one had it in stock!
I called pool supply places too, they all had the red flint stuff. One guy was funny, he said he "gets this call 20 times a year, it must say on the internet somewhere to use pool sand"! LOL..

Ryan925
08-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Must be this market. I called every Ace in 20 mile radius..no one had it in stock!
I called pool supply places too, they all had the red flint stuff. One guy was funny, he said he "gets this call 20 times a year, it must say on the internet somewhere to use pool sand"! LOL..

Only one of three of my local aces had it. Others said you could order it for store pick up