PDA

View Full Version : Light

Omardiel
07-18-2016, 10:08 PM
55 g bare botton,what time of light is recommended for it, thanks

Filip
07-19-2016, 03:17 AM
You can leave them on living room daylight if you like .
Or you can put any light you like as long as its not too bright .Discus prefer dimmer lights but can adjust a bit to a brighter lights.
Light period is also your own choice , discus won't mind that either.

Altum Nut
07-19-2016, 09:53 AM
There is no right answer with lighting and as Filip mentioned Discus won't mind either way.
I have found however that room lighting will create moving shadows when someone passes which might spook your fish.
There are also people on this board who keep lights on 24/7 365 days a year without having issues.

...Ralph

Bc chick
07-19-2016, 10:13 AM
There is no right answer with lighting and as Filip mentioned Discus won't mind either way.
I have found however that room lighting will create moving shadows when someone passes which might spook your fish.
There are also people on this board who keep lights on 24/7 365 days a year without having issues.

...Ralph

That was me. Until recently when i joined hete and noticed most were on cycles so i started shutting lights off at night. Night one, i think im missing neons. Night 2, yeah i think i am missing some neons. Hmmm maybe they got sucked up. Id better count. Night 3, three missing rummies and two missing neons. Needless to say the hunt was on at night. My angel was the culprit. Lights back on 24/7
Ps. I dont have discus yet about 2 months away

Captain Discus
07-19-2016, 11:08 AM
About six months ago I started to turn my lights off at 9:30 pm and on at 5:30 am. That way I have time to feed before I leave for work . Just recently I modified my led lights so my cheep hardware store timer shifts my lights to the blue night mode without having to flip the switches twice a day. As I am running 16 tanks this saved a bunch on electric and my fish seem to look much better now. And forces me to keep a better feeding schedule.
Hope this helps. Tom.

Larry Bugg
07-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Lights are for your viewing pleasure. Discus prefer it dim.

tonytheboss1
07-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Lights are for your viewing pleasure. Discus prefer it dim.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: "T"

Darcon
07-21-2016, 06:08 AM
Lights in tank are not for the discus, lights are for plants and plants determinate needed lights, if you have it of course.

MarktheShark3
07-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Lights in tank are not for the discus, lights are for plants and plants determinate needed lights, if you have it of course.

They need some light surely? How do they know to eat if its dark all the time?

Filip
07-25-2016, 01:43 AM
They need some light surely? How do they know to eat if its dark all the time?

No tank lights meaning you still got to have some living room daylight or a living room light source . You won't be able to perform feeding in a pitch dark either :-) .