PDA

View Full Version : Update on Willy, my jumper

William1
07-20-2016, 01:06 PM
For those who don't know the story, I had a discus, one of my wild Uatuma blues, jump out of the tank. I stuck my hand in clumsily and freaked my guys out. He was on the floor for over thirty minutes. He actually had migrated to the kitchen. Flopping on the floor. I was like, huh? What is that noise? I thought it was a mouse or something. When I finally discovered him, I of course put him straight into the tank. He hung upside down for a minute till I touched him. He had a postage stamp sized mark on both sides from losing his slime coat or whatever. That went away in a couple days. Now, I don't even know which guy he is. Perfectly healthy, perfectly fine. I find that amazing. Just thought I would share. Tough fish these wild discus. And very, very awesomely cool.
Cheers, BK

Poppa Ryno
07-20-2016, 02:29 PM
thats great news. Always good to hear of full recoveries.

William1
07-20-2016, 03:27 PM
I think he wanted to go to Rio, and represent his home country in the high dive in this years Olympics. I caught him with a Brazilian flag colored speedo and a passport. Rascal...

DISCUS STU
07-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Good for you, great news! My experience with this didn't turn out as well. Not sure if I mentioned this in the original post, but I had one of two Heckels in a 60 gal. in my kitchen that jumped out and flopped into the cabinet of the tank and passed away during a sweltering summer heat wave a few years ago.

Being a fairly crowded tank I didn't notice anyone was missing, and I couldn't figure out what that incredible, god awful smell was. Finally the smell went away.

2-3 months later I went looking for this fish and found it in the cabinet as desiccated as an ancient Egyptian mummy.

RIP Blue Faced Heckel! Sorry I didn't do a better job of taking care of you. 99737

William1
07-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Oh my gosh that guy is so pretty. Great story, sad as it is. Honestly, after flopping on the floor for what I believe was close to forty minutes, Willy made a complete recovery. Like I said, I don't even know which fish it is now. His bull gang name is Willy, but he hasn't answered my emails since his escape attempt. He's a proud Brazilian, and I don't speak Portuguese.

It's hard enough to spell it. Portuguese.

Poppa Ryno
07-20-2016, 04:13 PM
I think he wanted to go to Rio, and represent his home country in the high dive in this years Olympics. I caught him with a Brazilian flag colored speedo and a passport. Rascal...

Too funny. Just make sure he gets inocculated before re-entry, lol. ;)

merkmerk73
07-29-2016, 04:19 PM
That's great that he recovered.

I had a similar experience with a giant danio..I was able to revive him by holding him by the tail and having water flow over his gills (and then holding him up against my flow pump) but he ultimately died a few days later. Tail was all bruised from being held too.