PDA

View Full Version : best battery operated air pump to buy?

cedar
07-20-2016, 09:01 PM
I am looking for advice on which battery air pump to buy, I have a 125 upstairs and 6 tanks downstairs. I haven't seen any that have more than 2 air ports. any suggestions are very much appreciated please . :)

LizStreithorst
07-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Get a generator.

Akili
07-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Get a generator.100% plus especially living in Canada

Phillydubs
07-20-2016, 10:36 PM
I second the generator idea but I know they can be costly.

I cracked open two battery pumps yesterday cause I was transporting a fish in a bucket and nether of them even worked I was really disappointed actually. I can get you the brand name tomorrow because I left them at work but I wasn't happy. Never even used em had them on stand by now for a few years. I'll have to give them to my pal who knows inner working mechanical stuff like that cause I am clueless.

cedar
07-20-2016, 11:16 PM
thanks everyone for the answers, I have a generator but my husband was out of town and i can't move it myself so I thought for short term couple of hrs that the battery back up would work in a pinch. when he comes home I will be on him about the generator issue, :)

DJW
07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
You reminded me that I needed one for the tank that's in a different part of the house. I just ordered this one. Says it turns on automatically if you aren't home.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Silent-Battery-Operated-Pump/dp/B004PBIKHU

cedar
07-21-2016, 11:41 PM
thanks, i'll check it out on .ca :)

Phillydubs
07-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Cool link dam I am gonna grab one and try it out. Please let us know how yours turns out.

Wes
07-22-2016, 08:28 AM
I bought these at my local Petland. Have used them about 5 years in emergency and to transport fish.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/airpump_zps039cd7a9.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/airpump_zps039cd7a9.jpg.html)

cedar
07-24-2016, 11:40 PM
got a new generator! one I can move myself, thanks for answering everyone!

sue

DJW
07-25-2016, 09:13 PM
You reminded me that I needed one for the tank that's in a different part of the house. I just ordered this one. Says it turns on automatically if you aren't home.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Silent-Battery-Operated-Pump/dp/B004PBIKHU

I tested this today. You plug it in the wall and push a button to arm it. It starts when the power goes off and stops when the power comes back on.

It runs an air stone 24" deep, so it should be able to run two lines without air stones. I have attached a little weight and hid it in the corner of the tank.

You need your own airline, the one it comes with is so short its just for entertainment.

LizStreithorst
07-25-2016, 09:34 PM
got a new generator! one I can move myself, thanks for answering everyone!

sue

Contats. There is nothing better than peace of mind. I bought for myself for Christmas. It won't come close to running the entire house but it will run the fish room regardless of how many heaters I have running plus my lights. It hooks into my propane tank so I don't need gasoline. I need to have it wired into the breaker box. I haven't done that part yet. I will have to hire an electrification. If I have a power outage now I will have to run cords through the bedroom window to the fish room. A pain but not a big deal.

cedar
07-25-2016, 11:52 PM
thanks on the congrats, lol mine is gas but I already have electric cord running from the fish room to upstairs so I am just mostly concerned about air to the downstairs fish room and air to the 125g display upstairs....It will run heaters too so I should be ok for a few hrs at least. all the fish room tanks are on sponge filters so thats good. :)

LizStreithorst
07-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Air is the most important thing. Discus can handle a big chill but being without air for a length of time will kill them.

scrappinjaime
07-26-2016, 07:51 PM
How long without air is dangerous?? We rarely get pet outages and if we do they are from a few minutes to maybe 4 hours. Is this something I need to be worried about??

LizStreithorst
07-26-2016, 08:13 PM
4 hours should be OK. I don't know how long it takes them to get stressed but if they use up the O2 in the water they will die.

DJW
07-26-2016, 08:29 PM
For shortages that long, what I have done in the past is use a pitcher to scoop and pour, scoop and pour, every 15 minutes or so. It helps to circulate the water so it doesn't get too stagnant.

Around here it only happens in the middle of the night and the whole time you are saying, Dammit I'm getting a generator this time.