PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much for 70 gallon?

alki
07-21-2016, 08:15 AM
Hey, i have 8 (6-7 c"m) discus and 15 angle fish (4, 15 c"m and 11,5-6 cm angle fish)
I have really good filter (400 gallon per hour) and i do 40% water change every week, does it too much for 70 gallon tank,does the fish will grow up properly?

Akili
07-21-2016, 08:30 AM
First concern would be the Angels as they will outcompete the Discus for food and eventually stunting them.The Angels are too large to be with 6 cm Discus. If you want to grow out some decent looking Discus then put the Discus in a tank of their own.

jmf3460
07-21-2016, 08:33 AM
yes this is too much. id leave the angels out all together. also you may want to rethink your water change regimen.

Filip
07-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Angels are usually introduced when discus are grown , introduced as a seccond fish in allready established discus tank , and also in less then a half of the number of discus present.Otherwise they can cause aggression and feeding problems .

Second and more important , waterchanges should be preformed at least semi-daily in order to grow decent size discus.

alki
07-21-2016, 09:31 AM
It is planted tank so the nitrate keep low i checked it. I dont have any problem when i feeding the fish and the discus eat properly. my qustion is if it too much fish (I will do a 50% water change twice a week)?

jmf3460
07-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Yes too much fish. You are already pushing it with 8 discus.

alki
07-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Ok so how many angles i have to put out up to its be ok? 3-4?

Filip
07-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Maybe you can get away with 3-4 angels , 3 -50% Waterchanges a week and a planted tank setup ,but don't expect your discus to grow more than 12cm in that environment .It would be a success if they don't get sick in a while.

jmf3460
07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Ok so how many angles i have to put out up to its be ok? 3-4?

you're not getting it.......NO ANGELS AT ALL, you are already at capacity and over capacity technically with the discus alone. zero angels. or put your discus in another tank all together.

pascal
07-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I'm an angel keeper, and I keep also discus. I have wild angels species, Pterophyllum altum and Pterophyllum species 'Santa Isabel', got also Pterophyllum leopoldi in the past. I have also discus, no wilds but hybrids. So I have 2 tanks, one for the angels and one for the discus. Although I have bought all the fish in the same store, which has a reputation far beyond Belgium and I'm quite sure all the fish were exempt of parasites (when I bought them). I totally agree to not put angels with discus and also to not put discus with angels. I even put NO OTHER FISH with my discus.

You must consider that both discus and angels are fish that live in groups. So use the space left (if any) to put another discus instead of angels or any other fish. Unfortunately, I don't think you have much space left. A 70 gallon tank can in my opinion work for a group of 5-6 discus, but this is a strict minimum. If you have 8 discus, I would leave them as a group, but don't put anything else. Angels can be aggressive when spawning and having youngsters, but they can also be carrier of microorganism that can be dangerous for your discus while they will not harm the angels. The opposite is also true. I see often tanks with elusive Pterophyllum altum where discus are added, I would never do that. I would add another altum in that case.

If you don't have experience with discus and especially discus diseases and their treatment, I would advise you even not to add other discus afterwards and certainly not from another supplier.

Considering your waterchange schedule, I have a particulate opinion on the value of nitrate. Nitrate itself is not so harmful, but it is an indicator of the waste load of your water. Beside nitrate, there are a lot of other organic substances that are present, but can't be measured with a commercial test kit. All you can say is that if you have nitrates, you have a level of waste. If you have a lot of plants, or if you have a filter with significantly anaerobic activity, you will measure almost no nitrates, which doesn't mean your water is totally clean. With the 8 discus in a 70 gallon tank, I would at least perform a 30% daily or 50% every other day. I know I change smaller amounts than other people, but the difference between 50% every other day and 100% daily is mathematically much smaller than the difference between 50% every other day and 40% weekly. I mean no matter if you change 100% daily or 50% every other day, you shouldn't be in the neighborhood of 40% weekly, this is not enough.

I don't know if you have other tanks, but I should begin to separate angels and discus. If you keep discus or wild angels, start to keep them alone in a tank for themselve.

pascal
07-21-2016, 12:46 PM
I forgot to highlight following aspect. Considering the very high bio load, please measure ammonia concentration. If you suddenly change lots of water, you pH value will normally increase. In that case the ammonium (NH4+) which is the form in acid water and is not very dangerous, will be transformed in the toxic ammonia (NH3), which is the form in alcaline water. So if your fish are doing apparently well in a messy tank with a low pH value and a lot of waste (ammonium in this case), and you change a lot of water, your pH value will increase and the small amount of unharmful ammonium left will be transformed in a lethal dosis of ammonia and your fish will die. So if you suspect your water is not so clean, start to change daily small amounts and increase them slightly to the desired amount. Begin with 5-10% daily and increase slightly to higher values.