PDA

View Full Version : Started out in January with Discus and got to where I want them to be right now

Cichlids
07-28-2016, 03:21 PM
I started out back in January with my 105 gallon being a tank with 3 Oscars that I have had for 4 years growing them up and hoping to breed them.

https://goo.gl/photos/TEnevXg8GahW4ghj6

I did get a unproven pair out of the 6 oscars I started off with

But since I couldn't get them to spawn again I started up with discus and after 7 months this is where I am at now

My next project is to build a sump system on the old aquarium the discus came from and maybe build an acrylic aquarium that would be about 60 gallons and try growing out about 6 to 8 discus.

Phillydubs
07-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Very nice Mike! Looks like things are going well...

Care to share more info? Tank size, inhabitants, current filtration, husbandry process, etc?

Cichlids
07-28-2016, 04:59 PM
The tank is a 105 Gallon and I have for fish in their:
Turquoise Discus
Turquoise Snakeskin Discus
Sterbai Corys
Clown Loaches
Clown Plecos
Royal Blue Dwarf Gouramis
Roseline Sharks
Dwarf Rainbows
Otto Catfish
Rummy Nose Tetras
Congo Tetras

I am running a Magnum Canister filter that GPH is ~600GPH. I ran in series a UV sterilizer then a CO2 Reactor. I am running CO2 injection of 1.5 BPS which is on a timer with the lights which run for about 7 hours a day on and off (keep algae growth down) The lighting is 1.5 WPG with a 6000K rating. I used pool filter sand on the one side with ADA soil for the plants. I dose the plants every day with Macro and Micro nutrients 1ML per 10 Gallons. The plants I got in this tank are:

Sword, Rangeri
Reineckii 'Mini'
Java Fern Windelov
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Staurogyne repens
Hottonia palustris
Penthorum sedoides
Echinodorus quadricostatus magdalenensis
Rotala rotundifolia
Vallisneria Spiralis
Echinodorus bleheri
Vallisneria rubra
Vallisneria asiatica
Limnobium laevigatum
Cryptocoryne willisii
Sagittaria sublata

I just figured it was time for a change after 4 years with oscars and tinfoil barbs. Now I want to go with a full discus tank next.