PDA

View Full Version : Freds Discus Room

jawfish
07-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Hi Everyone, as I mentioned in my Rio Negro Heckel Project I started building a proper Discus Room.

I didn't want anything too big, just for enough space for having between 800-1000 gallons. We move in our new house last spring and I had a section of the basement that was barrelly 8ft wide... It didn't suit my basement plans but it could work as a Discus Room. Plus it right beside the Laudry-Bathroom, so water and utility sink were not an issue ;)

The current plan is to have both 140 gallon plywood tanks on each end plus a wall of six 65 gallons tanks and a breeding wall. I'm going to use my current four 30 gallons for the breeding wall, but plan to change them for three 35 gallon cubes.

The first step was to remove the sheetrock as I need to redo the electricity. I want to have 3 separate 110 volt circuit dedicated to the Room, plus a 220V circuit for heating the Room. As the room is in a corner, 2 walls are already insulated.

I've built the end wall

This weekend I'm running the wires, plus putting the the sheetrock on the outside for the end wall. I'also continue to add the insulation on the ceiling.

Cheers,

Fred

Iowa_Discus
07-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Cool! I'll be looking forward to updates on your project!

Allwin
08-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Fun times ahead, looking forward.!

jawfish
02-25-2017, 10:13 AM
OK. I'm back at it... Of course change of location in the house, change of layout... Plus change of direction. As we say up here, only the crazy people don't change their minds. I've decided to go back to my first love and breed some Red Discus, not wilds but a man made strain. The Heckel Project will continue in the TV room. I still want to breed them, and will be making a run for it this late spring to see what happens.

The focus is on one strain. The goal is it breed some show quality discus, it will take time and most likely a several generation to get in the direction that I want. The Room is really focus on breeding 3 lines of one strain and having 1 or 2 spawn of each every 8 months and grow the most discus I can hold, with some heavy culling. In the end I'll end up with one or two pairs from 20-25 discus.

It will be divided in 3 centrally filtered sections.
Breeding-juvenile to 8 months
two 40 gallon breeder
two 65 gallon tall
45 gallon sump

Growout 8 to 24 months
four 75 gallons
65 gallon sump

Pairing-Resting
135 gallons
65 gallon sump

I've finished studding the walls, I'm receiving my sheetrock today. I will then cover the exterior of the walls in order to finish my electricity and doing my insulation and vapor barrier.

This is from the end, the room is about 16 feet long

This is from the other end, it is narrower because of my furnace room, it that room I will house my water barrels for water changes. I'm hoping to my ideas for automated water changes will work. I will still need to siphon the bottom everyday, but I should spend some time looking at my discus everyday anyway

Here we can see the corner where the breeding section will end up.

This is the door entrance, I need to move out the fridge.

This is the narrow end again. The sump pump will remove the water during water change. As I am on a septic tank I don't want to flood my system with 200-400 gallons of water everyday.

Cheers,

Fred

Willie
02-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Looks very exciting. I finished my fish room two summers ago. My main mistake was to have set the outlets at their usual positions. If I were to do it again, I would put them up 5' off the floor. I would also put them closer one side versus the middle of wall so that they're not blocked by the tanks.

Good luck on your adventure, Willie

jawfish
02-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Thanks Willie.
Actually all the outlets are being placed near the sumps of the 3 systems. Another thing that I'm adding is a drain pipe that will go around the room for eater change and siphoning the bottoms. I'll also have a freshwater pipe bringing aged water from the furnace room to fill in the sumps for water change abd evaporation.

Cheers
Fred

atlantadiscus
02-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Have you considered including a portable dehumidifier for the space to keep humidity levels low enough to prevent mold/mildew?

jawfish
02-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Have you considered including a portable dehumidifier for the space to keep humidity levels low enough to prevent mold/mildew?

Yes I have a dehumidifier, that will run 24/24 and drain into the sump pump.

alron2
02-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Yes I have a dehumidifier, that will run 24/24 and drain into the sump pump.

Does that mean it will be pumped back into the tanks or down the drain?
Ron

nc0gnet0
02-28-2017, 12:28 AM
Keep your drywall/sheetrock 3" off the floor, trust me on this. I would not use 2 x 4's for stud's either, rather go with metal.

RogueDiscus
02-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Does that mean it will be pumped back into the tanks or down the drain?
Ron

I think he means the basement sump pump in the picture, pumps out of the house or down a drain. Not his tank sump.

nc0gnet0
02-28-2017, 12:38 AM
I think he means the basement sump pump in the picture, pumps out of the house or down a drain. Not his tank sump.

My guess is the sump just pumps it out onto the grass/lawn and not into his septic system.

RogueDiscus
02-28-2017, 12:46 AM
Yep. I grew up in Milwaukee. Had the same thing there. We don't have basements here in Oregon.

jawfish
02-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Yes the sump pump pumps the water on the yard as I don't have a drain due to the sceptic system.

Yes the drywall will be off the floor... spills will happen.

alron2
03-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Yes the sump pump pumps the water on the yard as I don't have a drain due to the sceptic system.

Yes the drywall will be off the floor... spills will happen.

How about te insulation at the bottom? How do you keep it from getting soaked??

Thanks
Ron

jawfish
03-01-2017, 07:47 AM
The insulation is raised another 2.5 inch higher. For ease of drywall installation I'm putting another piefes of horizontal 2x4. The insulation will rest on that higer piece

nc0gnet0
03-01-2017, 08:43 AM
maybe a strip of cedar instead?

Larry Bugg
03-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Keep your drywall/sheetrock 3" off the floor, trust me on this. I would not use 2 x 4's for stud's either, rather go with metal.

I think my solution to this (eventually) is going to be float valves into each tank. I am hopefully running the water lines today thru 1/2" pvc to each tank and have ball valves for each tank. Thinking I will put float valves between the ball valves and the tank. This way I can close the float valve while I clean and drain the tank and then open it up to fill the tank and not have to worry about overflows. I think I'm the worlds worst when it comes to overflows. I'm hoping to have fish moved to mine by this weekend.

Enjoying watching your build but anxiously waiting to see what you do with the killer reds.

jawfish
03-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Cedar is a great idea... I was also thinking pressure treated wood.

Thanks Larry, I've been gollowing your discus cabin and I have to admit that I'm aiming for that in the long run.

Dud I mention that I'm drilling my sumps to have an overflow to the drain ? This will be an insurance in the case a float valve is stuck open... I'm pretty friendly with Murphy:D

Yhea I'm really pump with the idea of doing the reds, I learned a lot with my red covers and the mistake of not keeping 20 to 30 discus to grow to 4-5 inches. In the past I would only keep 10 at the most and then form a pair. I just need to be patient for the next order Rick from Canadianaquafarm brings in... Can't go wrong with a Sponsor.

Fred

pmkappy
03-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Dear Fred, Do not use pressure treated lumber in any interior space. It out gases some nasty stuff.

jawfish
04-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Dear Fred, Do not use pressure treated lumber in any interior space. It out gases some nasty stuff.

No worries, I was not thinking of using decking wood. I was thinking about bluwood, its especially for interior.
In the end I ended using regular wood. I'm going to have less than 750 gallons in the room.

jawfish
12-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Well a baby and change of plans for my garage to be built this spring made us rethink the whole location. In the end I decided to build a smaller Discus Room in the basement. The room is smaller (8X12), but still will enable me to have funa nd If I ever want something bigger I'll just build myself a small discus cabin :-)

With 3 weeks of vacation, the plan is to start moving tanks in the new year.
But first step is to clean up the space and do some rewiring and change some damaged sheetrock.

Second Hand Pat
12-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Nice to see you getting started on this Fred. :)
Pat

SoCalFishFan
12-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Looks good.Will be following your progress.

Altum Nut
12-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Anything fishroom related gets my attention. Whether space is small or large I think you can make it work Fred and think once complete I'm sure it will look great.

...Ralph

jawfish
12-18-2017, 11:02 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Yes its good to be back. Discus kinda took a back seat to many things and its ok...

Even though its small the room will house house about 620 gallons to start with. Enough to keep me busy and have fun. It could be reconfigured to hold close to a 1000 gallons by changing the layout and some tanks, its just going to be crowded :D. The original idea to having a lounge like room is gone.

One thing that I'm going to do is really work with filtration and experiment. I am curious on the resins some german breeders are using to cut down on water changes. Unlike sponge filters where the cost is a joke this approach take it to the other spectrum, but I did tickle my curiosity, so it does warant more investigations.

I've added insulation to the ceiling, and tomorrow I'm starting to build the wall and door frame.

Cheers,
Fred

jawfish
03-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Well I'm due for a little update.

The room is done, now its time for the interesting stuff.
The central air and waste water evacuation.

To evacuate my waste water, I'm simply going to use a sump-pump to pump the water out. Bassicly I'll have a 1 1/2 ABS pipe going around the room and graining into a reservoir and the pump will pump the water out to my yard.

I'll post more updates as things progress.

Fred

Altum Nut
03-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Thanks for updating us Fred...great cozy fishroom that i can get used to. Only wish I could find time to get mine started...

...Ralph

Willie
03-31-2018, 08:00 AM
To evacuate my waste water, I'm simply going to use a sump-pump to pump the water out. Bassicly I'll have a 1 1/2 ABS pipe going around the room and graining into a reservoir and the pump will pump the water out to my yard.

How is that going to work in the winter time?

Willie

jawfish
03-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Thanks for updating us Fred...great cozy fishroom that i can get used to. Only wish I could find time to get mine started...

...Ralph

Thanks. Yhea the goal is to make it cozy, since I'm only aiming for a couple of spawns a years in order to raise two dozen fish to adulthood, it better be cozy to enjoy watching them grow in a comfortable chair :-)

jawfish
03-31-2018, 09:59 PM
How is that going to work in the winter time?

Willie

I've been using my sump pump since I moved to my current house, being on a septic tank, I'm not flushing down my waste water down the drain, but by the sump pump. It's been working great, I was wondering how it would be in a cold winter, but nothing froze solid. They key is to have everything drain out by itself.

My property is sloppy so I guess it helps

Fred

jawfish
06-19-2018, 04:33 PM
There as been some slow progress i the room,

The breeding rack is almost done, just two 30 gallons tank on a wet dry filter. The little system is currently undergoing water leak test. The filter will slide underneat.

Built myself a small desk and some storage to put some fish stuff away

and I wanted some bling so I got myself a few Artemio brine shrimp hatcheries... very nice and not worth the price, but I like them and I figured after some many years with cut down soda bottles I treat myself :D

Tomorrow the steel is coming in for my four 65 gallon stand... time to take out the old welder :evilgrin:

Cheers,

Fred

Altum Nut
06-19-2018, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the updates on your fishroom Fred. Coming along nicely and know family time can take you away from projects.
Keep us in the loop when possible. Your new Brine hatchery looks great...you got to treat yourself from time to time.

...Ralph

Darren's Discus
06-20-2018, 02:10 AM
Looking good Fred.

jawfish
03-17-2019, 03:19 PM
Well the bulding my garage took more time than planned, but I've done some little work on the fishroom,

I've mounted the artemio set on the wall.

I've also built a double 110 gallon aquarium stand out of wood. I've built it to be able to have two 40 gallons breeder tank at the bottom to age some water.

I've brought in the first 110 , I'm almost done the installation to put some of my breeding stock in it

Of course to put some pressure on me finishing the room and my metal stands for my four 65 gallons I had a a decent spawn last month

Cheers,
Fred

RogueDiscus
03-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the post. Nice stand design.
I'm still working on my stand design. I want to be able to put 75's on both the top and bottom levels, with the bottom shelf about 6 " off the ground for better siphon flow and access. I've been trying to make it as compact/narrow as possible, but yours makes me think of some variations. It looks like it's off the ground by an inch or so. Are those cross braces supporting that or is the whole think on blocks or something?

jawfish
03-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Hi Steve the stand is about 1 inch off the ground due to the adjustable feet I put under each leg. 123130

If your building for 75 with 2x4 its not so bad due to the 20 height. This is the rack I had for 30's which are 18 inches I had more than 12 inch of clearance at the bottom. You would get 6-8 inches no issues. The total height was 82 inches if I remember right.

jawfish
03-17-2019, 06:14 PM

LizStreithorst
03-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Hi Steve the stand is about 1 inch off the ground due to the adjustable feet I put under each leg. 123130

If your building for 75 with 2x4 its not so bad due to the 20 height. This is the rack I had for 30's which are 18 inches I had more than 12 inch of clearance at the bottom. You would get 6-8 inches no issues. The total height was 82 inches if I remember right.

That is genius.

RogueDiscus
03-17-2019, 09:48 PM
So all the weight sits on several screws? I understand, but some may find it surprising.

jawfish
03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Thanks Liz.

Steve: Well not screws but 1/2-13 bolt and nuts... I using grade 5.
Altought the total weight of the stand and aquariums is in excess of 3200lbs each leg supports about 400lbs. This is not even 10% what the bolt can support.

In the end the limiting factor would be the floor. If you would be on a wood floor I would use a leveling feet with a 2 inch pad just not to dig in the floor.

Fred

RogueDiscus
03-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Oops, yes, bolts. Thanks Fred.

CliffsDiscus
03-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Fred,
Looks great, are you going back to raising Heckels?

Cliff

Cove Beach
03-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Another thought would be to upgrade to stainless steel bolts.

RogueDiscus
03-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Another thought would be to upgrade to stainless steel bolts.

Did you have the nut-plates made, or is that kind of thing available at Home Depot for instance?

jawfish
03-19-2019, 08:55 PM
Fred,
Looks great, are you going back to raising Heckels?

Cliff

Hi Cliff.
My goal is to try to get another group a young heckels next fall.
I do miss them. Then will let nature take its course.

jawfish
03-19-2019, 08:59 PM
My other hobby is building a race car, I'm lucky to have a welder, drill press and metal band saw.

Its simply a piece of 1/8 steel plate cut to a 3x3.5 size.
I drill a 1/2 hole and weld a grade nut to the plate. I then drill two small holes in opposite corners so that I can put two screws to the base of the stand.

Cheers
Fred

jawfish
03-22-2019, 08:00 PM
The stand for tge three 35 gallons cube is done. Just need to paint the 35's and install the 65 for aging the water.
Fred

jawfish
03-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Done... now preparing some water to set up a few breeding pairs.123221

Spent some time in the garage to build myself a table to weld my stands for my four 65 gallons growout. That table will be usefull for some other big projects...

Cheers
Fred

brewmaster15
03-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Fred everything looks like its coming along nicely. I wish I had access to a welder here. Thats a tool I could really use but have not invested in yet. Some day I will invest in one. What is the metal? 2 " square tube?
Al

jawfish
03-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Thanks Al.

The tubing is 1.5 inch square by 0.125 thichness... a little bit overkill. I think I should have used 0.100.

Fred

LizStreithorst
03-25-2019, 11:00 PM
I had a friend once who offered to teach me how to weld, but I was afraid to accept.

jawfish
03-26-2019, 06:39 AM
I had a friend once who offered to teach me how to weld, but I was afraid to accept.

Welding with a MIG is not that complicated and at least for me fun. With some practice you do get nice results. I have a small miller 120V unit its powerfull enought to weld up 3/16. More than enough for my needs. With it I welded to lotus seven type chassis/suspention. Welded several trailers and fixed things around the house.

Fred

jozeppy
08-19-2019, 05:24 PM
cool set up ! following

FischAutoTechGarten
02-18-2020, 12:06 AM
Fred,
Any new progress on this fish room?
Peter

timvriens
02-18-2020, 01:57 AM
Nice looking fishroom, wish I could convince my wife to have one :p

Willie
02-18-2020, 08:24 AM
Those 35 gal cubes are my favorite breeder tank size. I also like planning for conditioning water storage beforehand. That's the sign of a veteran!

Willie

jawfish
02-18-2020, 09:25 PM
Hi Everyone.

Not much progress as Discus took a 2nd place in my priorities. There are some progress.

I've decided to have my 65 gallons growing tanks filtered with corner poret filters.
I've siliconed the glass strips.

I've now placed the first two tanks in the steel stands and will be placing the last two this weekend.

Agree with you Willie. Those 35 are just the best size and shape for pairs.
I've put a pair of Red Melons in one of them to try to get another batch of fry.
As for aging water, my tap water comes out with a ph of 8.4... that's too high. I've been treating my water with phosphoric acid to bring it to 6.6 for the last 7 years. A while back I took the decision to be master of my water and not a victim of my water treatment plant.

I'll post more progress as I'm getting back to working in the room.

Timvriens... tell her it will be a perfect way to keep an eye on you ;-)

Cheers Fred

jawfish
02-24-2020, 11:00 AM
Put up the last 2 tanks on the stand and spent some time plubing the drainage pipes for the water changes.
This weekend I'll finish the drainage loop and cut the poret.

I also need to do a reinforcement on the breeding rack as the top 2x6 bowed a little. I'll take care of it next weekend also.

Cheers
Fred

Larry208
02-26-2020, 10:34 AM
Fred

Looking great, like your design, looking forward to seeing fish in them tanks.
Larry

jawfish
03-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Thanks Larry.

I got one 65 set-up and running.

I will be letting go of the Reds. Somehow the motivation never came back fully after of the lost of my Heckels. Latelly the more time I spend working in the room the more I think wilds should be in there. I took the decision to go back to wilds for me the set-up I built just calls for wilds. I'm a little late in the season so I will need to be patient. I really want another group of young Heckels. Sourcing wilds in Canada is...an adventure.

The 65 was started in case I find something interesting.

Cheers
Fred

Larry208
03-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Nice Fred

jawfish
03-15-2020, 11:56 AM
I now have two tanks running, and started my '' TorfKanone" i.e. Peat Canon to prepare some peat water. The Canon is a modern interpretation of the peat bomb use by German breeders. Instead of being a 55 gallon barell its a 3 foot long 4 inch PVC pipe filled with peat. a small pump runs RO water trought the pipe and the water falls back in my 55 gallon barrel that I use for my RO water. it works really well. I'll post some pictures of it broken down.

I really do like the color of the peat water. Now it's just waiting for something interesting to pop up

Fred

danotaylor
03-15-2020, 04:12 PM
That's a sweet idea Fred, very cool! Does peat add any kind of minerals back to RO water or is it primarily a natural water softener? Is the peat somehow sterilized so that microbes or funguses aren't passed into the water column?

jawfish
03-15-2020, 05:27 PM
Hi Daniel,
The peat is a natural softener and acidifier. It will remove minerals. It will add some tannins and humic acids. For me its part of a multistep process to prepare water for wild Discus. I believe that for wilds water is the number one priority to have them strive.

My process is simple.
First Step: Prepare 100% RO water.

Second Step: Run the "Torfkanone" to get the desired PH... not all wilds have the same PH requirements.

Third Step: Reminelarize. For this step I use either RO Right by Kent or Discus Minerals by Discus Food. I also had some Kent Discus Essentials to add some trace elements. Hardness is dependent on the goal. For growth I aim 130-150ppm. For non breeding adults 100ppm and for attempting breeding again depending on the specie.

Fourt Step: Aerate and heat the water to the proper temperature for the water change.

I learned a lot on my last Heckel Project. I believe that my water regiment was the key to my success. As soon I stoped treating my water it was downhill from there. My tapwater is not good for discus at all.

Fred

danotaylor
03-15-2020, 06:14 PM
That's a great process Fred, thank you for sharing that info with us! That's the kind of info any newb getting into wild's needs. Very cool, cheers!

Second Hand Pat
03-16-2020, 06:29 AM
Hi Fred, good to hear of some progress forward and also seeing the fishroom being put to good use :D
Pat

jawfish
05-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Well This Covid-19 sucks.....

I had organised getting rid of my last red and better yet getting a shipment of dozen 3-4 inch Rio Negro Heckels... All this got cancelled just as we went to lockdown.
The Discus Room has been my home office for the last 2 months, It's a great office with the tanks even with most if them being empty. the noise of the air pump is a great white noise, I find a relaxing place to work.
I'm glad it's working out as I have been advise that getting back to normal is several months away in my case.

I had an issue with the 35 gallon shelve with the 2X6 bowing a little, the span of 6 feet was to much, I've made some 1X1 steel vertical members that I will install this weekend, then it will be to finish the stand.

Spending more time in there has been very motivational and I've now come to the conclusion that I need to get another 110 gallons tank in to fill in the hole planned for it ;)

This will definitely be a wilds only room. Really hoping that the opportunity to get a dozen of smaller Heckels... I'm crossing my fingers for the fall. It does give me the opportunity to fully complete the room.

Fred

jawfish
11-19-2023, 03:56 PM
In the end the room became my home office.I was pretty bumned out t the time with my heckel order being cancelled that I took everything down. With no longer hving to commute to work I ended up with an extra 3 hours a day to myself. The discus bug came back and I went back to my love of Red Discus. Last november I got an order of 10 Red Golden Diamonds discus from Pingco. I grew them out. I am now starting to see some pairing beheviour. Time to reconvert the Discus room into a Discus Room. This time, a little less sterile. My idea is to create more a Discus Lounge... I enjoy siting down and watching my discus with a cold drink. I've been playing with excel to plan this room.

This was the first stand that I built to hold my 75 gallon

The planed layout for the room for now... The goal is to have a 110 gallon tank to hold my adults, three 75 gallons to grow out my offsprings and three 35 gallons to do some breeding.

The stand that I plan for my three 35 gallon cube will also incorporate a small bookshelf, again keeping with the them of a lounge. The main structure is done. I have to build some adjustble feet and start the doors.

Here video from last february of the discus,need to an updated one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmeXdwb3Bc0

Cheers,
Fred

brewmaster15
11-19-2023, 11:03 PM
Its funny how life throws us curves! :angry: still I am glad its all coming together for you Fred. Looks like you will have a very cool discus space.

Now only thing missing from this thread are updated pics... looking forward to those!
Al

AquaticNerd
11-20-2023, 09:38 AM
I'm also looking forward to seeing this fishroom come together. Also, very clever idea to use excel to design layout and the like.

Discus Fever
11-21-2023, 04:49 PM
Lets get those updated pictures would like to see everything ;)

jawfish
12-12-2023, 08:55 PM
Sorry for the lack of updated pictures. Got side tracked with some garage reorganisation for an engine and transmission change/upgrade on the race car. I have to finish some adjustable feets for the breeding rack. I going on vacation next week and plan on doing some major work in there.

Cheers
Fred

jawfish
01-04-2024, 07:34 PM
The RGD have been transfered in the 110 gallon, need to build the doors for the stand. The 75 has been moved. The breeding stand is in place need to add the sides and work on the doors. Plus add the small book shelf.138152

Later this spring I will build a double tier 75 gallon stand to add to the room.

Cheers
Fred

AquaticNerd
01-05-2024, 09:18 AM
Thanks for sharing the update Fred, it's coming together nicely! I think I'm spotting something super ingenious here - did you by chance add leveling feet to the bottom of your stands? If so, I LOVE that idea! I bet it's a lot easier to level instead of using some kind of shim to get it level.

Charlyc11
01-05-2024, 09:25 AM
I noticed that to, nice job.

Discus Fever
01-05-2024, 11:21 AM
Looking good the fish room is coming along nicely, looking forward to more pictures.

jawfish
01-05-2024, 03:14 PM
Thanks for sharing the update Fred, it's coming together nicely! I think I'm spotting something super ingenious here - did you by chance add leveling feet to the bottom of your stands? If so, I LOVE that idea! I bet it's a lot easier to level instead of using some kind of shim to get it level.

Hi Jake, yes they are leveling feets, version 2.0...
The original used a 1/2 bolt it was ok on concrete but could not be used on wood floors. I discovered this video using hockey pucks as a base. Not complicated to do, but definetly beats shims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolYFgwppWs