PDA

View Full Version : Chloramines

guggas
07-30-2016, 05:19 PM
How do I know if my water has chloramine or just chlorine?

DJW
07-30-2016, 05:45 PM
The city or water district should be able to tell you.

Or you can put some tap water in a bucket and add Prime, 2 drops per gallon. Stir, then test for ammonia. If you can read ammonia then you have chloramine.

monilovesdiscus
07-30-2016, 06:41 PM
I went online and typed the name of my city and typed in Drinking Water Quality Report. It may pop up what they use. I found one that said chlorine but then the Drinking Water Quality Report definitely said Chloramines. I think a lot of places switched to chloramines so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you have. I use Seachem Safe to treat it.

DiscusRob
07-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Cover all your bases treat any water you use for your discus, don't worry about whether it does or doesn't, assume it does and treat.

DISCUS STU
08-01-2016, 08:59 AM
The city or water district should be able to tell you.

Or you can put some tap water in a bucket and add Prime, 2 drops per gallon. Stir, then test for ammonia. If you can read ammonia then you have chloramine.

That's how you do it. Most of the commercially available water conditioners treat both chlorine and chloramines.

pitdogg2
08-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Most of the commercially available water conditioners treat both chlorine and chloramines.

Careful some just do chlorine and release the ammonia read carefully.

DISCUS STU
08-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Careful some just do chlorine and release the ammonia read carefully.

I said most of the commercially available water conditioners treat both chloramines and chlorine.

With that one needs to read the specifications for the product. With that having been said it is difficult to find some that still only treat chlorine and not both.