PDA

View Full Version : Discus question

Orangepunkins
07-31-2016, 05:07 PM
I have a 75 gal fish tank that I have had up and running for over 2 years. I do not have any Discus although I would LOVE to begin on them. It is a heavily planted tank with community fish. I do not have the room for a bare bottom tank. I am on the fence as whether to get some or not. Anyone else have this issue?

Ryan925
07-31-2016, 08:58 PM
I'd say prob not a good idea.

I got 6 3.5"-4" discus that I put into a moderately planted 75. After a couple months I noticed that half were showing very nice growth and half were not. I removed a large number of plants and daily water changes thoroughly cleaning all my substrate. Couldn't believe how much was in it after removing those plants.

Since removig plants, thoroughly cleanjng and increasing frequency of WCs I have noticed a big change in behavior of fish. The smaller ones also look better.

If your tank is heavily planted and have other fish your tank probably wouldn't support a group of discus even as adults.

Just my thought although I am no expert.

You should receive some suggestions from the seasoned vets and my guess is they would say do not do it

zimmjeff
07-31-2016, 09:30 PM
make it a bare bottom tank to start with. Jeff

cedar
07-31-2016, 10:37 PM
bare bottom all the way!

Filip
08-01-2016, 01:46 AM
Start barebottom at least for a couple of months until you learn the discus needs and get use to the new cleaning and water changing routine .
After that you can slowly start to add plant after plant here and there . That's my 2 cents.