PDA

View Full Version : First Discus

Omardiel
08-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Hi my question is my 55 galon is almost done cycle and I think I can have 6 discus in it but since the thank is new can I put all 6 at the same time or no thank you all

two utes
08-04-2016, 01:19 AM
You should be right to put them all in together. Six is a nice size group for that size tank. Care to share more information about the tanks set up and type/size of discus?

Filip
08-04-2016, 02:15 AM
Discus are best to be introduced as a whole group together ,and not one by one .Its also advisable to get the whole batch of 6 from one source/ vendor.
First month you have to stay on top of cleaning and Waterchanging until the filter amounts of BB catch up with the newly introduced bioload .

John_Nicholson
08-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Put them all in and do normal 50% water changes and they will do fine.

-john

Omardiel
08-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Thank you all for your time

brewmaster15
08-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Daniel,
Just to clarify, you can put them all together if they came from the same source at the same time. You should NOT put them together if they are from different sources or same source but at different orders. Those should be quarantined separately.

hth,
al

Omardiel
08-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Yes thank you that was the plan buying them all tithe same person at the same time. But what about the size can they be all between 3 to 4 inches and for how long they can be in the 55 galon

Filip
08-05-2016, 04:17 AM
Yes thank you that was the plan buying them all tithe same person at the same time. But what about the size can they be all between 3 to 4 inches and for how long they can be in the 55 galon

3-4 inch is perfect for a first timer IMO . Smaller than this I.e. 2 inch , and you can have sick discus problems.

And they can stay there for good . 6 full grown discus is tolerable number for a 55 g tank . So you are set about right for the long run.

Omardiel
08-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Great and I have everything set up and running with bare bottom and the game plan is to make a 50% wc every day but when can I put some gravel or deco, no rush just wondering, thank you

DISCUS STU
08-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Great and I have everything set up and running with bare bottom and the game plan is to make a 50% wc every day but when can I put some gravel or deco, no rush just wondering, thank you

I'm not sure of your experience level but 5-6 Discus in a 55 gal. is workable as long as you have good filtration and do proper water changes.

I have a similar setup in a 55 gal. but if you don't want to go BB then I would only suggest using sand and not gravel. The finer particles of the sand generally keep much of the harmful waste toward the surface of the substrate and not in the sand where it can release decay and release harmful bacteria. I use Hudson River sand collected from the same source in a planted setup but most people wouldn't recommend gravel as it would eventually build up tremendous amounts of harmful bacteria which would be detrimental to the fish. I also wouldn't recommend putting growing fish into a sand setup, bb is the way to go for growing fish. Sand bottoms still have detrimental bacteria, though the finer pool sand which I don't use, may be a bit better.

two utes
08-05-2016, 02:52 PM

If possible try and do away with either for awhile, while you're growing them out, but if you really have to, a very light layer of sand properly vacuumed while doing water changes will be fine. I think you're going to end up with nice sized and healthy discus. Good luck

Omardiel
08-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Thank you guys I'm comfortable with the bb but what I really want to ask was like when the discus is fully grow, I mean as an adult fish thank you all for your time.

Filip
08-06-2016, 07:47 AM
Thank you guys I'm comfortable with the bb but what I really want to ask was like when the discus is fully grow, I mean as an adult fish thank you all for your time.

3-4 inch bought discus is approx. 5 months old .
They do most of the growth until 12 months and after that they slow down their growth but still grow until they are 24 months old.
So your period of chasing significant grow with BB tank would be at least 6-7 months .
HTH.

Omardiel
08-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Cool thanks

Omardiel
08-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Hi guys is possible that I can put 3 Discus and then add 3 more will that affect me somehow

two utes
08-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Hi guys is possible that I can put 3 Discus and then add 3 more will that affect me somehow
You are much better of putting them in a group of six.....If l were you wait till you can purchase a group of six.

Filip
08-09-2016, 06:40 PM

Hi Daniel . All of them together is the best option.
If you insist on introducing them separately be carefull about 2 potential problems.
1 .first is cross contamination. Be sure to buy all of them from the same source /breeder and use quarantine tank for a month before you introduce the second batch of 3 discus.
2 . second is the pecking order and bulling discus.
With only 3 of them its very likely that the weakest one would be bullied a lot and may stop eating or even get sick. Also discus are schooling fish and feel more secure and relaxed when kept in groups .
So try to get the second batch as soon as possible.

HTH .
Filip[/QUOTE]