PDA

View Full Version : Purigen reactor

Neptune
08-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I had a brand new Lifeguard fluid bed filter sitting on the garage shelf for 20 years from my reefing days. Well I recently went to discus so figured a Purigen reactor was in order!
Only cost $60 in Purigen!!!!:crazy:

It is actually very cool to watch! Mesmerizing!! I bought the tiniest Hydor pump they make and it did not have enough umff to get the bed moving so I had to get the smallest Petco powerhead! That did the trick!

This is not my video but mine acts exactly like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYLd3Bldkw

Ryan925
08-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Did it need any modification? I've really been wanting to do a purigen reactor but it seems all reactors need to be modified or it needs to be custom fabricated.

Neptune
08-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Did it need any modification? I've really been wanting to do a purigen reactor but it seems all reactors need to be modified or it needs to be custom fabricated.
None, the only thing I had to do was figure out how to plumb it for my particular needs. I just used 1/2" cpvc, 1/2" ID vinyl tubing and then plumbed it up to the fittings that come with the filter(1/2" barbs, etc.)
The only tricky part was sizing the pump and getting the right lengths of pipes and tubes to sit right next to my sump.

I also plumbed in a marineland quick disconnect and a 1/2" shut off valve to make removal and cleaning easier.

Neptune
08-09-2016, 11:18 AM
update...
I was getting a little purigen in the tank so i had to add a little foam filter on the output. I used a little Fluval nano filter sponge and zip tied it to the 1/2 vinyl output hose. Worked!

pitdogg2
08-09-2016, 03:46 PM
been using one just like that for so long the plastic is yellow.....these work very good I would like the bigger brother as I think with more room to the top it would work better than my 300. you are correct after settling on the bottom they can be hard to get going but once that bed moves it could all be in the AQ in short order. I bet mine runs on less that 25 gal and hour I use an old AQ systems 404 turned way down and the top adjustment knob also turned down. The resin stays about 1/8" from the top until it get too dirty then it falls to about an 1" below the top much more than that and I recharge. Mine only stay's on my water aging tank with city water and it still gets quite dirty.

pitdogg2
08-09-2016, 03:46 PM
update...
I was getting a little purigen in the tank so i had to add a little foam filter on the output. I used a little Fluval nano filter sponge and zip tied it to the 1/2 vinyl output hose. Worked!

panty hose is you friend makes it easier to return to the reactor if need be or put in the bleach with the rest to recharge.

Neptune
08-09-2016, 03:55 PM
panty hose is you friend makes it easier to return to the reactor if need be or put in the bleach with the rest to recharge.

My wife looks at me funny when I rummage through her underwear drawer!:cowboy::evilgrin:

But ya, good idea for recapture!

pitdogg2
08-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Purigen by nature is going to have some that will always float and others that are much lighter than the rest of the beads. I skim those out and toss them out to keep my sanity. Yep I used to get strange looks buying boxes of knee high nude panty hose at the store, but at least they didn't have strings attached lol. I keep a liter of purigen in my reactor it works darn good. you just need a slow tumble or you will beat them to death plus you really need as much contact time in the column as you can get to get the best out of it (according to SeaChem)

Neptune
08-09-2016, 05:17 PM
lol..ya thought about stopping at Walgrens on an errand run to pick up hose! LOL..

Ya I have just enough water running through to get the bed moving. Once it settles in it just looks like a bed of quicksand. I'm keeping it an inch below the Max line.
Its good stuff and worth the hassle. I just have to figure out how to deal with the stuff like you did. I appreciate your insights!

Its been running about 24 hours, discus look very happy, and the water is invisible!

Also, my sterbai are looking very suspiciously like getting ready to spawn! I think they like the daily water changes and purigen as much as the discus.

Neptune
10-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Just wanted to give anyone thinking about using a lifeguard a heads up.
It sprung a leak! Opened my cabinet and there was a small puddle under the sump. A glue in connection was dripping. Not a connection that could be fixed. Had to pull it!
I read online where a couple people had the same thing happen over time. So I pulled it and going to switch to phosban 150.

Silver lining...
cleaned out my sump and replaced some floss with poreit(if that's what you call it) foam.
Used a Bucket Head vacuum to clean it out! Man was that slick!

Ryan925
10-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Just wanted to give anyone thinking about using a lifeguard a heads up.
It sprung a leak! Opened my cabinet and there was a small puddle under the sump. A glue in connection was dripping. Not a connection that could be fixed. Had to pull it!
I read online where a couple people had the same thing happen over time. So I pulled it and going to switch to phosban 150.

Silver lining...
cleaned out my sump and replaced some floss with poreit(if that's what you call it) foam.
Used a Bucket Head vacuum to clean it out! Man was that slick!

I read a lot of Amazon reviews about them having leaks. Bummer

Neptune
11-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Picked up a used phosban 150 reactor off craigslist. cleaned it up and set it up for Purigen.

MUCH nicer than the lifeguard. Cleaner install, runs cleaner because the purigen can't escape as easily, flow control is better and stays set when turned on and off.
The only downside is it is smaller. It only holds about half the amount the Lifeguard did, but its still a lot.

I heard the little rubber elbows crack and leak over time so I just eliminated them and stuck clear vinyl tubing right onto the barbs. Worked just fine.
Much happier with this setup than the lifeguard.

Ryan925
11-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Holds purigen with none escaping? Any modification needed?

I was thinking of trying to make one of these work

http://www.aquacave.com/skimz-br83-bio-pellet-reactor-with-dc-pump.html

Neptune
11-06-2016, 01:17 PM
No mods needed. But I eliminated the rubber 90 degree elbows and just stuck vinyl tubing right on the in/out barbs.
I also added a little extra filter pad material in the top and bottom to catch any purigen.
Other than that, just vinyl tubing to the powerhead in the sump.

That aquacave one looks like a lot better construction but out of my price point!

I think I have under $50 into this one.

Just be sure you can turn that pump down low enough to not blow out the purigen. Purigne is not a lot heavier than water and it does not take much current at all to get it moving.

Neptune
11-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Here it is, very straight forward.
In the third picture, the 1/2" pvc is connected to the powerhead in the sump, there is vinyl tubing on the top of that pipe that goes to the inlet on the reactor.

Ryan925
11-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Here it is, very straight forward.
In the third picture, the 1/2" pvc is connected to the powerhead in the sump, there is vinyl tubing on the top of that pipe that goes to the inlet on the reactor.

Thanks for the info. Once I have my sump built I am going to consider some sort of reactor. I plan on doing a decent sized fluidized bed section with k1. I'll see how everything works first then add things later

farebox
12-15-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm always tweaking things for my sump and just wanted you all know that I swapped out my dirty purigen (was ready for re-charge). I replaced the purigen in my reactor for Two Quart Box - 1 1⁄2” Spheres MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia. Has been running for two weeks now and have observed a big change in my water clarity. I'm sticking with this change for now, it's working perfect for me, I can't tell you if water chemistry has change, I don't test my water, not into what NO2/NO3 are.....

Neptune
12-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Farebox,
say more? You think your water is clearer with the other media? But isn't that stuff just a Biomedia for bacteria?

Thanks

100fuegos
12-18-2016, 08:10 AM
It is just pumice Stone with a premium price tag.

farebox
12-18-2016, 09:27 AM
All I can say guys whatever the stuff is, it's working just fine for me. At this point I'm totally satisfied the way the sump configuration is performing, not changing a thing or spending anymore $$, stick a fork in me, I'm done...Check it out: https://youtu.be/4Xw_zKzI_Vw

atlantadiscus
12-18-2016, 11:16 AM

I think you are mistaking the Marinepure for seachem matrix.I can assure you,the matinepure is nothing like pumice stone.

100fuegos
12-18-2016, 12:54 PM
It is just a different kind d of pumice Stone. Similar to the one used to clean BBQ.

farebox
12-18-2016, 01:14 PM
The Seachem matrix ( 2 ltrs.) is loaded in plastic tray to the left bottom and the Marine Pure spheres ( 1 quart from Bulk Reef Supply.com) are loaded in the Nextreef MR-1 media reactor to the right. Whatever these items are made of, they're serving their purpose, bio filtration. Also I have had to do very little cleaning of my sump over an two month period so far. Luvin this setup, no more money being spent for filter media for this tank.:)

atlantadiscus
12-18-2016, 08:24 PM
It is just a different kind d of pumice Stone. Similar to the one used to clean BBQ.

Incorrect information yet again.I suggest reading up on Marinepure and educating yourself on what it is if you want to add value to this topic.Marinepure is not any type of stone,period.

pitdogg2
12-18-2016, 11:26 PM
It's expanded ceramic, which is not new but my question is it any tougher than that that came before it. There was a product that was very similar but extremely fragile. Just handling it it broke very easily.

atlantadiscus
12-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Good question.I have 170 spheres in my sump and have not had any reason to handle them after the initial placement.There is a very tiny amount of "crumbs" visible underneath the pile.I will say,all 3 gallon boxes of the product were shipped from Amazon and arrived without a single cracked/crushed/broken sphere.

farebox
12-19-2016, 07:13 AM
I have taken a couple of the MarinePure spheres and whacked with an hammer to reduced their size to fit in an HOB filter box....

Neptune
12-19-2016, 10:52 AM
I have taken a couple of the MarinePure spheres and whacked with an hammer to reduced their size to fit in an HOB filter box....
Well, what's in there? Curious minds want to know!

pitdogg2
12-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Well, what's in there? Curious minds want to know!

nothing its expanded ceramic media so its air and ceramic.....

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

seriously has everybody forgot how to google? ....LOL

Neptune
12-19-2016, 11:07 AM
nothing its expanded ceramic media so its air and ceramic.....

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

seriously has everybody forgot how to google? ....LOL

here ya go

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=MarinePure

pitdogg2
12-19-2016, 11:58 AM
here ya go

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=MarinePure

too funny touche':focus:

Neptune
12-19-2016, 12:04 PM
LOL....glad to help ya out

buy what I really meant was....show us a picture of what it looks like inside if you can??

pitdogg2
12-19-2016, 01:12 PM
it will look the same inside and outside. sort of like cutting a sponge in half.

Jack L
12-19-2016, 07:44 PM

this got me thinking,
i found seachem post saying that it is pumice(in a round about way), but they do some QA on theirs to make sure its good stuff and not leaching metal.

i'm sure they check every piece LOL

though, i've never seen it at garden store for sale as many others seemed to indicate.

and as i've said before, it never seemed to help with nitrate

Neptune
12-19-2016, 08:01 PM
I was keeping up with this thread, but haven't read the last 7 pages or so.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/1045898-matrix-without-seachem.html

Jack L
12-19-2016, 08:34 PM
I was keeping up with this thread, but haven't read the last 7 pages or so.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/1045898-matrix-without-seachem.html

duh on me.. thanks. i'm normally better at checking for the pet trade ripoff rebranding too : (
e.g. the plant glue is just super glue...

i never saw matrix i bought it though, and i've never had pumice in my hand before either. just those fake foot scrubbers.

guess it didn't dawn on me to think matrix was just pumice. regardless, didn't help my with nitrate.