PDA

View Full Version : My 2 x 280 gallon set-up.

RDFISHGUY
08-08-2016, 05:06 PM
I just wanted to share my 280 gallon tanks with all of you at SD. Tank #1 is my discus tank and it has 16 discus @4-6". Tank #2 has my Super Red arowana and PNT, a few loaches, a sailfin pleco and 2 sunshine plecos (the male is over 13")

Both tanks share a common filtration system. It starts with 90 gallon sump, with a 100 gallon/day fresh water drip, followed by an ultima II 2000 filter ,and finally a 36 watt UV sterilizer. Our house has a Pelican water filter system including a sediment pre-filter, a carbon based filter that removes chlorine and chloramine, a salt less water softener, and a fluoride remover. Fresh water runs into the sump in the pump compartment and there is an overflow that goes to drain in the utility room(floor), where all filtration is kept out of the way. Previously I had 2 arowanas, 1 in each tank, but I opted to sell one and keep the discus when we moved. Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics my wife took for me today. I will update with better pics as soon as I get time for a photo session.

Altum Nut
08-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Now that's a set-up I can come home too. Superb :thumbsup:

...Ralph

MKD
08-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Very nice set up and fish.

RDFISHGUY
08-08-2016, 09:40 PM
I was a little worried that the white sand would wash out the fish a little but the opposite appears to be the case. Many of my discus are getting the trailing dorsal fins and their color is more vibrant than ever. Even my super red arowana is getting a deeper color. I couldn't be happier.

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Beautiful all around. Love the large clown loaches.
Ill bet theyre knuckleheads just like my group was.

RDFISHGUY
08-08-2016, 11:19 PM
The clown loaches are about the only constant in the last 20 yrs. I have had some of them since 2003. All my other fish come and go. The arowana is the next oldest at 6yrs. I also had a Leopoldi ray for 6 yrs. My original gold arowana was 6 yrs old when it jumped out and died when it got through a gap in the temporary lid. If that hadn't happened I wouldn't have gotten into discus. It's a bitter sweet pill.

Phillydubs
08-09-2016, 12:22 AM
That is just bad a$$ man... Loving it.

Future plans and ideas...? You seem to like to shuffle fish in and out as you stated and if I am correct did you have an issue or two with the discus a while back or this was more of a trial group? Do you you plan to shuffle discus in and out and get a big solid group ? You could house some monsters in there. Just curious.
Care to share more info on that turtle ? I love that tank and that big arrow. How often do you clean each.

RDFISHGUY
08-09-2016, 12:58 PM
That is just bad a$$ man... Loving it.

Future plans and ideas...? You seem to like to shuffle fish in and out as you stated and if I am correct did you have an issue or two with the discus a while back or this was more of a trial group? Do you you plan to shuffle discus in and out and get a big solid group ? You could house some monsters in there. Just curious.
Care to share more info on that turtle ? I love that tank and that big arrow. How often do you clean each.

These fish were all in a 230 gallon bare bottom before this. I did have some issues and treated several times for hith and parasites and bacterial issues but in the end I culled the fish that were still looking sick.It was a group of wilds that were the main issue. None of these current fish have skinny bellies or concave heads. They have all been doing well for a couple of months. When we moved my wife said I had to get rid of the stand alone tank as she was tired of the water changes. I wasn't really happy with the quality of my gold crossback arowana so I sold him with the other tank and decided to keep the discus set-up. They all seem happier now. Not skittish and eat out of my hand. Some of the biggest ones developed the trailing dorsal fins within a week of being in the new tank so I think they are happy and I have no plans to add anything at this point. After the last go around I am scared to add anything to the set-up. I do have a 10 gallon I could set-up so I may add some tetras and cories at some point but not until Christmas or until I know I have a month or so off work.

There are 16 discus in this tank though you don't see them all at the same time. I will keep the bioload low in this tank as the arowana tank is pretty heavily stocked and fed a lot. My filtration kept up with 2 rays and 2 large arowanas and the turtle and several other large fish for 2yrs, so not to worried about the overall ability of the filtration. The system is under way less load than it was in the past and I think I like it better. With less occupants they are more stunning than a school of fish, the individuals aren't lost in the shuffle. If there is an increase in ammonia or something the water volume can tolerate the change. A system that is set up to its max capacity is a game of Russian roulette IMO. I am no where near max but I am happy with the status quo for now.

The turtle is fully aquatic. Its a pig nosed or Fly river turtle. He eats large pelleted foods. I've tried veggies and fruits but he ignores them. He chews on a cuddle bone or Sepia bone once in a while but that's it. I adopted him off kijiji a few years ago he was small and had terrible bacterial infection. I nursed him to health and he has been with us ever since. He was about 4"back then. He's quite big now. Over 12" I'd say. Everybody loves him. I threatened to sell him one time when he was chasing my other fish but my wife said if I did she wouldn't take care of the rest so he stayed and the fish he was chasing was sold.

As far as cleaning goes the poop gets sucked up when it begins to collect and becomes unsightly. That takes about 1-2 weeks and only the discus tank. The filter floss gets changed every 2-3 days. The sponges rinsed once a month and the UltimaII gets back washed every month or so depending on the water quality. The k1 media has never been cleaned in the 4-5 yrs I've had it. It is self cleaning. The tank has magnetic cleaners but I don't use them often as the lights are dimmable LED's. They are dimmed right down to 25% which gives the shimmery effect. With 100 gallons of water dripping, well flowing, into the system it stays pretty darn clean. The water volume turns over about 7 times an hour. Its like a fish jacuzzi. I'm sure the fish can handle it. They don't complain. LOL.

Kyla
08-10-2016, 04:45 PM
looks awesome, love how the 2 tanks blend with their backgrounds. i have a group of clowns too and they r always so happy and lively. u sure have a well behaved aro that doesnt eat ur clowns! would love to see some videos! did u rehome the rays or r they just hiding in the pics?

RDFISHGUY
08-13-2016, 01:32 AM
I actually sold one ray and traded the other for some of my current discus. I plan on doing some vids and a good photo shoot when I get some down time. With 4 boys the trouble is finding the down time.

RDFISHGUY
09-10-2016, 02:00 PM

Debow
09-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Where you located, both Fly River turtles and gold/red Arowana and not legal in the us I thought. Through the research I did. As I was looking into both for my tank prior to discus. Care to share more information?

RDFISHGUY
09-11-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm in Canada. Sorry about your luck.

It is also illegal to import or export FRT. I didn't do either. It is a bit gray but, as far as I'm aware, it is not illegal to have one in your possession. I adopted him off kijiji.

Arowanas are perfectly legal to own. I have certs.

Debow
09-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Ya, I saw information about the certification paper work, but as far as I know the u.s doesn't allow any "Asian"(captive bred or wild) Arowana regardless of paper work due to CITES. I'll have to dig deeper and ask more questions, your lucky just like Joey (king DIY).