PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for my DIY Sump

Md. Shafiqual Alam
08-16-2016, 06:24 AM

This is my sump for my 200G tank. Tanks are ready. Now waiting for PUMP and media. My objective is to make it as much as efficient towards water quality for discus fish.

My initial plan:
Tank A can be for mainly mechanical filtration. Tank B can be set for Refugium or bacterial colony? Tank C for return pump & heater.

I have seen about K1 media. Can any one say actually what is this?

About Return pump capacity, I have found that people usually recommended for 10x but those are mostly for salt water tank. I have also found the following-

"You do not want 10x turnover through your sump, 2x-5x is all you need. More then that & the filter will not be able to clean the water & you also will run the risk of lots of air bubbles. Having 10x turnover in a tank is a great idea just not through the sump. So if you do 2x through the sump then you can get a powerhead of some type to give you 8x+ additional flow. Depending on what you plan on keeping in there some go +40x a hr turnover but like I mentioned slow through the sump"

As per my understanding Discus usually do not feel comfort with higher flow and again my main goal is to keep the water perfect as long as possible. I am presently using two wave make that run for 30 min after every 6 hrs just for ensuring a water circulation.

Question summary:
1. How to make Refugium for fresh aquarium ?
2. What is K1 media ? How to make it ?
3. How much flow rate pump should i use?
4. What DIY types things can be used for media ?
5. Suggest if any observation is there ?

FishFanMan
08-21-2016, 08:01 PM
You want to drive nitrates as low as possible, you need a nitrate reactor with very low flow. You need to understand how to seed it and how to operate it aneorbicaly.

DanDiscus
09-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Nice design !!!

I have a question. In your tank A after the wafles your arrows are pointing down. I believe, that because you have the overflow (drilled holes) at the same level of the division wall, most of the flow will be "laminar", in other words, if nothing is pushing the water dawn (as your arrows indicates), the water will follow the easiest path.

Am I understanding the design of that section ?

Yes, I will add the mechanical filtration in that first chamber. I will use a sock filter first to get the big gunk. Then I will fill the rest with 30 ppi open cell foam that you will not need to clean for years (see Hamburg Matt filterso on Internet and at Stendker Discus site of Germany).

On the rest I will add plants for Phosphate absorption and media bags with Matrix or Siporax for more bacterial growth. On this last material, due to the pore size, you will growth a nice anaerobic bacterial population, that will take care of Nitrates.

Of course, we can add tons of filtering systems, but at the end nothing can replace a good hansbandry and water maintenance, like at least a weekly WC.

All the best !
Daniel

DanDiscus
09-01-2016, 07:58 AM
You want to drive nitrates as low as possible, you need a nitrate reactor with very low flow. You need to understand how to seed it and how to operate it aneorbicaly.

This is one of the methods. The most used ones are Media Reactors filled with Siporax or Matrix and a good hansbandry of the system, meaning tank siphoning with a certain frequency and at least weakly WC. And at the end all is related with your final bioload. More fish, more food, more siphoning and WC to be done.

Cheers

DanDiscus
09-01-2016, 08:11 AM
About the water return rate:

I am not expert at all on Discus. Just know a little about sump because of my 20 plus year with reef tanks.

I have had my 75 G reef Ready tank with sump for nearby a month now with Discus (that's why I consider myself a newbie on Discus). But I can tell you what I have and has been working, at least for this month. My return pump is rated for ~ 700 Gph. That will be ~ 9-10 times the tank volume. The return tubing is split in 2 at the tank. Each section pointing to different sectors. That split the power of the outlet. One is pointing near the surface, to increase oxígeno exchange. The other to the center of the tank, to move the water in the middle section. Discus, my discus, don't care at all. They swim around them and I never see any effect on the guys. In my brain I had the picture of Discus like a static fish. Well, I discover, that they move a lot, and I am happy with that.

Bottom line, "in my tank and my conditions" I do not see any negative effect on my Discus concerning my water movement on the tank.

DanDiscus
09-01-2016, 08:14 AM
I posted this in another thread :

Here is a video of my sump

https://youtu.be/wHx-GhDkmLQ

It is a 20 G long tank. Water goes through a socket filter 200 u that I have to change every 3-4 days. That first chamber has a pump sending water to a Media Column with Siporax. The water goes also through 2 Hamburg matt filters to the chamber where the return pump is (~700 G/hour). That chamber is full of Matrix in media bags. As you have seen I also have plants.

It has been working for a month. As of today is doing the job.

Best
Daniel

Ps. The white PVC tubing has 3 battery operated air pumps. If electricity goes off, they start working and the air push water from the return chamber to the first one. Keeping the bacteria in the Hamburg matt filters alive. ..... I hope ... LOL

Rapture
09-01-2016, 10:13 PM
I think you may be missing a baffle before each exit from tank A and B.