PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Procedure and Schedule

Clawhammer
08-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Hello All. I have been thinking a lot about feeding; that it is so important as the amount of food fed, the timing, and the procedure have so much effect on both growth and water quality. It seems to me that feeding the right amount at the right time with the right sanitary procedure is the most important aspect of the hobby as it touches on water quality and nutrition.

I have been feeding six times a day (I work from home), evenly spaced out, with the first feeding at 8:00am and last feeding at 8:00pm. I recently started to rethink this schedule. Is it more food than they can absorb? Once they are fed more than they can absorb, the only effects are a negative one on the water quality. I am considering going down to four feedings a day and decreasing the overnight fast by feeding first at 7:00am and last at 10:00pm. Any thoughts?

Regarding procedure, I think I have it pretty dialed in, but would love to hear what others are doing. I turn off all my filtration, set my timer for 5 minutes, then feed. Once the timer goes off, I Eheim vac the poop and any leftover food (usually just a bit of dust sized food particles). I then restart the filtration. This prevents all food particles visible to the human eye from fouling up my filtration. I have noticed significantly cleaner sponges after implementing this when doing my weekly canister cleaning.

I would love to hear what you guys are doing and what you have found to be successful. Its always important in life to keep an open mind and always look to improve :) Thanks!

Ryan925
08-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Hello All. I have been thinking a lot about feeding; that it is so important as the amount of food fed, the timing, and the procedure have so much effect on both growth and water quality. It seems to me that feeding the right amount at the right time with the right sanitary procedure is the most important aspect of the hobby as it touches on water quality and nutrition.

I have been feeding six times a day (I work from home), evenly spaced out, with the first feeding at 8:00am and last feeding at 8:00pm. I recently started to rethink this schedule. Is it more food than they can absorb? Once they are fed more than they can absorb, the only effects are a negative one on the water quality. I am considering going down to four feedings a day and decreasing the overnight fast by feeding first at 7:00am and last at 10:00pm. Any thoughts?

Regarding procedure, I think I have it pretty dialed in, but would love to hear what others are doing. I turn off all my filtration, set my timer for 5 minutes, then feed. Once the timer goes off, I Eheim vac the poop and any leftover food (usually just a bit of dust sized food particles). I then restart the filtration. This prevents all food particles visible to the human eye from fouling up my filtration. I have noticed significantly cleaner sponges after implementing this when doing my weekly canister cleaning.

I would love to hear what you guys are doing and what you have found to be successful. Its always important in life to keep an open mind and always look to improve :) Thanks!

Just saw a comment on a thread the other day related to this. Can't remember which thread. It said something to the affect that 3 feedings spaced far apart allows the fish to absorb more than more feedings closer together. Makes sense...

Larry Bugg
08-16-2016, 11:10 AM
John told me a long time ago that he only feeds 2 or 3 times a day. He grows nice big, healthy discus. I saw no reason to deviate from that so that is what I have always done.

Filip
08-16-2016, 05:14 PM
John told me a long time ago that he only feeds 2 or 3 times a day. He grows nice big, healthy discus. I saw no reason to deviate from that so that is what I have always done.

Reading experiences from many succesfull breeders here on SD I came to conclusion that you can raise 8 inch discus with 2-3 big feedings a day .
So to me it just don't make sense to bother 10 times a day like many others do so.

pitdogg2
08-16-2016, 05:22 PM
myth perpetuated by food manufactures to sell more food they may of been in cahoots with filter manufactures to sell more filter media:) tongue in cheek... I concur 2-3 max I've grown some big cichlids feeding once per day with a fast 1-2 days on the weekend.

warblad79
08-16-2016, 05:48 PM
4x a day with 2-4 hours interval and 100% WC at night. I think 6 times a day is too much but also WC change is a big factor. The more you feed, the more water changes. Also you forgot to mention what food type and WC regime.

two utes
08-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Just saw a comment on a thread the other day related to this. Can't remember which thread. It said something to the affect that 3 feedings spaced far apart allows the fish to absorb more than more feedings closer together. Makes sense...

Was it this one Ryan?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?77775-What-makes-Discus-grow-the-biggest-the-fastest/page3

I found it very interesting and tend to agree

Ryan925
08-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Was it this one Ryan?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?77775-What-makes-Discus-grow-the-biggest-the-fastest/page3

I found it very interesting and tend to agree

That's the one. Great info

Clawhammer
08-16-2016, 06:19 PM
4x a day with 2-4 hours interval and 100% WC at night. I think 6 times a day is too much but also WC change is a big factor. The more you feed, the more water changes. Also you forgot to mention what food type and WC regime.

I was doing 80% daily with the 55 gallon, now 50% with the 120 gallon. I feed mainly Al's FDBW and SFB Frozen Beefheart Cubes (thoroughly rinsed). I am strict about my post feeding cleanup as described, which really helps keep the water clean.