PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest, most durable, discus to start with?

Holly33
08-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Hi I'm new to SD. I was wondering if anyone could help me is selecting the best discus for beginners. As can you mix angel fish with discus? Thank you.

Akili
08-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Hi Holly33,There is no easy way or shortcut for keeping Discus.Getting adults discus from one of the sponsors is a better way for a beginner.Since you are new to Discus keeping I recommend to go through the stickies’ in the Beginners Section and watch this video
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8 it is about an hour and half long but worth hours of information
P.S. A must read thread form the beginner section http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus
After this if you have questions feel free to post them and I sure someone will help you out.
P.S Till you gain some experience in discus keeping stay away from angels.

pastry
08-20-2016, 08:11 PM
I've done some dumb stuff to discus over time and brown or brown based reds seem to be less affected than many others I've had. (Dumb stuff= missing wc's, having too light of a wc routine, dirty tank, substrate, limited diet... Pretty much stuff you shouldn't do as a discus enthusiast). You'll mess up discus regardless of strain but I've had enough over time that browns seem to be a little more tolerant of my foolishness. Growth, breeding, development-wise. That said, totally could've been a coincidence since it'd take a lot of fish and strains and a constant variable to prove. Just pick a tank raised strain to start off with from one of the sponsors here. Don't get queezy from shipping charges because you'll save $$$ in the end. Also, don't be lazy ;) ... and buy at least 6 at once

Wes
08-20-2016, 08:18 PM
What is the easiest, most durable, discus to start with? I was wondering if anyone could help me is selecting the best discus for beginners.

Any healthy live one from one of our sponsors here. An adult is more tolerant than the young ones.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28937-How-do-I-set-up-my-first-discus-tank

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?27180-Beginners-Information-Index

Holly33
08-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Thank you so much. I'll preview the beginners section. I do have angels already. I've got 8 of them......raised fry a lot overy the years. But......discus have always been a dream of mine to own. I've heard so many horror stories about these fish being so delicate & they are by far, more pricey. I will read up and watch videos. Thanks again.

Akili
08-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Thank you so much. I'll preview the beginners section. I do have angels already. I've got 8 of them......raised fry a lot overy the years. But......discus have always been a dream of mine to own. I've heard so many horror stories about these fish being so delicate & they are by far, more pricey. I will read up and watch videos. Thanks again.Discus aren't as hard as some folks might make it seem, just lots of fresh, clean, warm water To succeed you will have to do daily your water changes The video that was linked earlier is the video to watch, and is recommended here often because of all the good info it has in it. It really is like the discus bible around here.Yes Discus are pricey but then again there are a lot of other species of fish that are pricey too.

Holly33
08-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Yes I agree. I do personally think they are the most beautiful + serene, fish available. Unique.

Akili
08-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Yes I agree. I do personally think they are the most beautiful + serene, fish available. Unique.That's for sure and when you get them to spawn and have successful one that feeling is also a one that you will always cherish.

Keith Perkins
08-20-2016, 10:33 PM
After you've read the suggested material and or watched the video go through the sponsors offerings and pick out the biggest, most beautiful discus your budget can handle. They'll be healthy, you'll love having them and want to take good care of them. That desire translates into consistently doing your WCs and doing more reading and asking good questions and the rest is easy.

warblad79
08-22-2016, 07:03 AM
The answer is None

DISCUS STU
08-22-2016, 10:55 AM
If you've got the fundamentals of clean water, clean water, and clean water down, then Red Turquoise are about the hardiest that you'll find, they're also one of the first Discus to have been bred as a domestic line bred fish. Pigeon Bloods are also a hardy strain.

nc0gnet0
08-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Red Cover, Virgin Red, etc.

Holly33
08-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Thank you so much.

Holly33
08-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Thank you for the heads up. I'll be considering them most defiantly

Holly33
09-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the use of black water extract, catappa leaves and/or ocean salt for water conditions? I'm still preparing for the fish and want to make sure I'm doing it right. I tried to post this question a couple times but it didn't post....Lol. I must be doing it wrong so I had to use my original post. Sorry if I'm confusing everyone. :o

pastry
09-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Black water extract is more cosmetic.

Catappa leaves... I think that's a type folks use for biotopes. Can't recall. I like seeing biotopes with leaves but haven't done it.

No need for ocean salt. Why did you ask about that? Some people may use different salts at times but no needed for ocean salts. And no all salts are the same. To be safe, hold off. I've used epsom before but only to experiment with.

Holly33
09-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Thank you Elliot. I was asking about the ocean salt because I was channel surfing & saw that some people prefer that, over just plain aquarium salt. (Epsom salt I will keep in mind) I was curious about catappa maybe because; it's possible ability to build up the black water environment? It won't hurt though will it? They look to be rather large leaves and kinda neat looking.

Holly33
09-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Me and my auto spell check...darn :) not defiantly, but definitely. Lol

Keith Perkins
09-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Figure out how much that stuff will cost you over about ten years, then invest it in better quality discus to begin with and you'll be much better off.