PDA

View Full Version : Discus feeding

alex97
08-23-2016, 12:39 AM
I have 4 juvenile Discus (blue diamond,blood pigeon,yellow pigeon,and blue turquoise).I got them last week.I fed them frozen Bloodworms with tetra bit flakes.Blue diamond took the flake but always spit it after and the yellow one always just looking at the flake,but when i gave them bloodworms they all went crazy and ate it.

My plan is to starve blue diamond and yellow pigeon by only giving flake as staple diet.Since they are juvenile,should i do this?

I also notice tetra bit seems make my cardinal tetras red colour brighter.My blue turquoise also seems a bit reddish?.Is this normal?

I cant find any brine shrimp in my LFS except this : http://imgur.com/a/zCKeV .It is decap brine shrimp eggs.Can i feed this to young discus or is it too small?

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Hi Alex and welcome to Simply Before I introduce a new food I may sure the fish are eating very well. To introduce a new food I offer it as the first meal of the day in small portions and feed foods they will eat for the rest of the day.

Tetra bits has a red enhancer which will brighten the reds in your fish. Do not feed brine shrimp eggs. It is too small for your discus.
Pat

MendoMan
08-23-2016, 08:50 AM
If you want good growth out of juvenile Discus I would feed something other than flake. Buy ,or better yet, make a good beef heart mix and use that as your staple.

Akili
08-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Beef heart and freeze dried black worms are very high in protein which is need for growth.

alex97
08-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Thank you pat. But i already did that on the first and second day i got them.Should i do it again starting tomorrow?

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Thank you pat. But i already did that on the first and second day i got them.Should i do it again starting tomorrow?

I would continue until they are eating the new food with gusto. The other food suggestions are excellent.
Pat

alex97
08-23-2016, 10:57 AM
So i add flake as the first meal,then wait for hours to add another food they will eat? or just add it after the flake is gone?
Thanks for all your advice, i will buy some beef heart and try to give them .

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Add your new food as a first offering of the day and give them an hour or so before removal. Feed as you normally would throughout the rest of the day.
Pat

RogueDiscus
08-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Note that part of Pat's plan is to remove any they don't eat so it doesn't foul the water.

Filip
08-24-2016, 02:27 AM
Add your new food as a first offering of the day and give them an hour or so before removal. Feed as you normally would throughout the rest of the day.
Pat

+1.
This has worked for me too in the past but you need to very patient . We are talking weeks-months period.

alex97
08-24-2016, 08:36 AM
That long? D: