PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to buy FDBW

guggas
08-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Everyone seems to adore FDBW im sure with good reason. From my newbie perspective they seem really expensive compared to other foods. $140 for 500 grams. It strikes me as really expensive, maybe I'm missing something. I haven't added up the cost of making a batch of beefheart mix but im guessing its quite a bit cheaper. Are they worth that much $$?

Neptune
08-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Do you realize how much 500 grams of FDBW is? Thats A LOT of FDBW!

guggas
08-25-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm guessing about 1.1 pounds of worms. 1.1 pounds of fillet mignon cost about $22. I guess the fillet mignon has a much higher water content than a freeze dried product though so if I feeding beef by weight I'm getting a lot more water weight.

LizStreithorst
08-25-2016, 08:19 PM
They weigh NOTHING! They're freeze dried! I'm not gonna try to convince you to try them but if you decide to I would suggest trying a much smaller amount.

FishFanMan
08-25-2016, 10:44 PM
I agree FDBWs are rather expensive, but sometimes that is all that some discus will eat besides BH mix. So one ends up buying it until you figure out what else they will eat that is nutritious and cheaper. I stopped feeding BH mix because it's to messy in the tank.

FishFanMan
08-25-2016, 10:52 PM
A far cheaper alternative to black worms are FD Blood Worms. The Hikari brand is popular and is high in protein (65%). My discus ate that for a couple months but started rejecting it so went back to black worms. I noticed these blood worms mostly float on top and maybe my discus over time didn't want to reach up there anymore. Who knows.

Second Hand Pat
08-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Everyone seems to adore FDBW im sure with good reason. From my newbie perspective they seem really expensive compared to other foods. $140 for 500 grams. It strikes me as really expensive, maybe I'm missing something. I haven't added up the cost of making a batch of beefheart mix but im guessing its quite a bit cheaper. Are they worth that much $$?

Buy a small amount and let your fish convince you.
Pat

Filip
08-26-2016, 04:47 AM
LOL. I like the name of the tread :-)
Im also trying to convince another discus friend to buy a larger amount with me , so we can split the shipping costs .

I just want to ask here , are they considered as a clean food concerning the water quallity??

Kyla
08-26-2016, 07:31 AM
i also initially felt they were expensive, so i just bought a small amount to try them out. they are a staple in my discus' diet now, i would never be without them. i recommend the cubes, so easy and conveninet to stick a few blocks on the glass. totally worth it.

Kyla
08-26-2016, 07:33 AM
filip, my discus devour them. there isnt anything left afterwards, so no clean up required...
i wouldnt wait for ur friend, just order them all for urself ;) then give ur friend a bit to try and they will change their tune

DJW
08-26-2016, 10:58 AM
I have some fish that won't eat flakes, others that just watch pellets sink, and some that won't eat frozen bloodworms. They all eat FDBW.

Neptune
08-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Chow time!!! When they see me coming and I stick my hand in the tank they pull the hairs on my arm!! They can't wait to get at them!!
**Note the nice round bellies**
And yes, I know they are stunted...they came that way!

Redrain
08-31-2016, 07:38 AM
I wish I could get some:(

Larry Bugg
08-31-2016, 08:25 AM

Have you checked with Al to see if he ships internationally?

Filip
08-31-2016, 06:57 PM

Al ships internattionally and the shipping costs are not acctually very pricey either.
If you order a bigger bulk and split the shipping costs with a couple of discus buddies the cost of shipping would be minimized.

Clawhammer
09-01-2016, 01:22 PM
I had a sick discus that was on death's door, didn't eat for six weeks. I thought there was no hope to save him until I introduced Al's FDBW and he took to them immediately. I believe FDBW saved the fish's life.

bluelagoon
09-01-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing about 1.1 pounds of worms. 1.1 pounds of fillet mignon cost about $22. I guess the fillet mignon has a much higher water content than a freeze dried product though so if I feeding beef by weight I'm getting a lot more water weight.

You take that same fillet and take away 96% of the water.Then add up the difference in the cost.

Dhavalsp
09-01-2016, 02:53 PM
I feed my fish FD Boodworms, but I think AL's FDBW will be even better. I saw a significant difference in color after switching to Freeze dried food...from what I have heard live feed will enhance the coloring more but there is big health risk associated with it.

Kyla
09-01-2016, 05:24 PM
so did we convince u??

Poppa Ryno
09-01-2016, 09:10 PM
I bought 100g from Al aprox 4weeks +/- ago. I still have some and i feed 50+ discus a day. My rams, my apistos and my angels love it as well.

Also the money from Als sales directly help simplydiscus function and grow.

Jack L
09-01-2016, 09:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Jack L
09-01-2016, 09:59 PM
i fed my discus Al's FDBW..
it caused them to spawn with driftwood
the next morning i had a farlowella in my tank. AKA twig catfish.
Al's FDBW are magic
if you want magic get Al's FDBW...

everything else...is just meh

guggas
09-02-2016, 10:20 AM
so did we convince u??

Yes you did. Shia Labeouf pushed me over the edge. Ordered the 200 grams with spinach. Now I just need some Discus! I have an empty 120 Gallon that I'm trying to find some Discus for.

Jack L
09-02-2016, 11:10 PM
some put FDBW on inside of tank....
I put Al's FDBW on the outside of the glass, the Discus chew though the glass to get to it.

brewmaster15
09-02-2016, 11:23 PM
some put FDBW on inside of tank....
I put Al's FDBW on the outside of the glass, the Discus chew though the glass to get to it.
I've read alot of great feedback but I have to say this one is one of tops! Lol

Love it!
Al

Ps thank you everyone on behalf of Australian Blackworms. MAL does the hard work...I just get it to you as Quick as I can.

DanDiscus
09-04-2016, 03:47 PM
I had a sick discus that was on death's door, didn't eat for six weeks. I thought there was no hope to save him until I introduced Al's FDBW and he took to them immediately. I believe FDBW saved the fish's life.

I am new in Discus and by impulse i got 3 at a LFS. I selected 2 and the shop guy 1. This last one is the best. Nevertheless, from the 2 I selected one never wanted to eat. NOTHING. I did not want to return it because I pick him and is really pretty, at least to my eyes. After reading in the postings how good were these FDBW from AL, I decided to give it a try. OH MY GOOD !!! Discus went CRAZY !!! and the one that spent almost a month without eating came like a bullet. He pushed the others that were stronger than him and went right to the FDBW.

What was strange is that for the last 3 weeks I had Live Blackworms, from the LFS. He never bothered to eat them. They were in front of him and nothing. But with the FDBW.....is now a machine eating. He needs to recover lost time... LOL.

Bottom line, I ordered more FDBW from Al......FANTASTIC !!!!

DanDiscus
09-04-2016, 04:07 PM
See what happens when i place one Al's FDBW cube.....

https://youtu.be/PEyznIjmYm0

DanDiscus
09-04-2016, 04:34 PM
I did another short video to have fun......

https://youtu.be/d9elFPwRvsQ