PDA

View Full Version : Besides PH, why age water?

guggas
08-30-2016, 04:58 PM
I have moved recently and I'm on a new water system. I have tested my water out of the tap and after being aged for 24 hrs. It doesn't fluctuate more than 0.1, its always about 8.1; does that mean I don't need to age my water? Are there any other reasons to age water?

Also I'm wondering if my PH being that high will make discus uncomfortable. I had a tank full of rummynose tetras, in a planted tank with substrate at my last place with PH 7.5, and they always had a bright red nose, and they did really well. At my new place I have converted that tank into a quarantine tank. I removed all of the plants and substrate and the PH is 8.1 and they have almost no red on the nose, and are not as active. So it could be the PH or change of environment that they rummynose dont like, but if its the PH im wondering if it will be hard to keep discus happy in that water.

bluelagoon
08-30-2016, 06:00 PM
To get the micro bubbles out and to remove chlorine without any additives.That's why I age and aerate my water.What is the general hardness.

LizStreithorst
08-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Seems to me that you should be fine without aging.

guggas
08-30-2016, 07:40 PM
To get the micro bubbles out and to remove chlorine without any additives.That's why I age and aerate my water.What is the general hardness.

I don't know what the gh or kh is. I have never had those test kits. Are they something I should get?

LizStreithorst
08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
It's nice to know but not necessary if you're just keeping fish and not breeding.

bluelagoon
08-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Some folks use RO water if their water is too hard.