PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

NeonTetra
09-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Hello!
¿Can i feed my discus only with pellets (Sera Discus Granulat)? They are going to be a group of 6 of 2.5 inches, i can only feed them myself in the morning and in the night... So i was thinking on using an automatic feeder, the feeder it is the eheim, and i can give 4 meals with it. I was thinking on feeding them with beef heart the meals that i can give them personally, and the rest of the meals with the automatic feeder.
¿It is this plan posible?
Thank you guys for the help :)

Kyla
09-01-2016, 05:35 PM
my discus dont love pellets but they learned to eat them after a while of withholding their preferred foods. they like freeze dried black worms way more. have u considered trying some Fdbw? u can out loose FDBW in an automatic feeder too.

Phillydubs
09-02-2016, 12:02 AM
I agree with Kyla.

See what they take but I have yet to see a fish not take the fdbw. Maybe even mix it up. If hey take the pellets alternate days maybe..?

I also think you should feed the BH for the meals you can

NeonTetra
09-02-2016, 08:45 AM
my discus dont love pellets but they learned to eat them after a while of withholding their preferred foods. they like freeze dried black worms way more. have u considered trying some Fdbw? u can out loose FDBW in an automatic feeder too.

Yes, i was considering it, but in my country i only have available blood worms (very low in protein :( ) and frozen dried tubifex (in my country is available this product: http://www.tropical.pl/en/products/aquarium/foods/natural-line/tubi-cubi/), but i read that the tubifex even with the process of frozen dried they are still dangerous, and in the web there are people that says that they are safe and others says that it is dangerous for the fish...
Maybe i can order the FDBW, but i dont know any international supplier...
So that is why i was thinking feeding with pellets, for example Sera

Thanks Kyla

I agree with Kyla.

See what they take but I have yet to see a fish not take the fdbw. Maybe even mix it up. If hey take the pellets alternate days maybe..?

I also think you should feed the BH for the meals you can

Yes, i will feed with BH :D, now my concern is about the other 4 meals :( as i explain to Kyla, thanks Phillydubs

100fuegos
09-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Don't know where are you located but if closer to Australia than from the US consider buying from the source.

http://www.blackworms.com.au/searchresults.asp?cat=1831

NeonTetra
09-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Don't know where are you located but if closer to Australia than from the US consider buying from the source.

I am from Chile, USA it is more near than Australia, going to check at: https://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/

Akili
09-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Bloodworms are not a bad food and they do actually have nutritional value. Fish tend to get hooked on bloodworms and become stubborn with other foods. Pellets and flakes supplemented with beef heart mix and live white worms would make a decent diet.
Does not Freeze drying technique eliminates pathogens ?

Second Hand Pat
09-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Bloodworms are not a bad food and they do actually have nutritional value. Fish tend to get hooked on bloodworms and become stubborn with other foods. Pellets and flakes supplemented with beef heart mix and live white worms would make a decent diet.
Does not Freeze drying technique eliminates pathogens ?

Not in all foods such as tubifex worms. Also one issue with feeding bloodworms is we humans can develop allergies to it over time.
Pat

NeonTetra
09-02-2016, 08:18 PM

They have a cheap shipping to Chile (15 dollars :D)

It is posible to feed only with FDBW to the juveniles (2.5 inches)? And how many times do i need to feed them? I have been reading some older post of people that feed their discus 2 times a day (juveniles) with BF and thats it :O

LizStreithorst
09-02-2016, 09:03 PM
I think that top quality pellets are an excellent food. For sure you should put them in your auto feeder. The Eheim is the best one. Frozen Blood Worms are not low in protein. They just seem like they are because when they test the protein they include the water that they come in. If you can get freeze dried black worms they would make for a great 4th feeding. Problem solved.

NeonTetra
09-03-2016, 02:02 PM
I think that top quality pellets are an excellent food. For sure you should put them in your auto feeder. The Eheim is the best one. Frozen Blood Worms are not low in protein. They just seem like they are because when they test the protein they include the water that they come in. If you can get freeze dried black worms they would make for a great 4th feeding. Problem solved.

It is posible to feed only with FDBW to the juveniles (2.5 inches)? And have big discus?

LizStreithorst
09-03-2016, 02:26 PM
It is possible but not recommended. The nutrients that one food doesn't have the other foods likely will.

NeonTetra
09-03-2016, 02:31 PM
It is possible but not recommended. The nutrients that one food doesn't have the other foods likely will.

Thank you LizStreithorst :D

I will feed them with blackworms cube and BH, maybe with pellets if they like them!

Any advice on how many times a day i should feed them?

LizStreithorst
09-03-2016, 04:42 PM
How much water are you planning on changing and how often?

NeonTetra
09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
How much water are you planning on changing and how often?

3 times a week (tuesday, thursday and saturday) 50 %, i dont mind to do 75 % if it is necessary, that WC regime would be perfect, but if i need to do more WC i will

LizStreithorst
09-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Beef heart is very messy and will foul the water fast. I don't suggest using it with juvies if you're changing water just 3 times weekly. How large is the tank you'll be keeping them in? I hope you're not planning on having a substrate.

Akili
09-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Beef heart is very messy and will foul the water fast. I don't suggest using it with juvies if you're changing water just 3 times weekly. How large is the tank you'll be keeping them in? I hope you're not planning on having a substrate.Feeding beef heart an hour before water change can work out

Altum Nut
09-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Feeding beef heart an hour before water change can work out

I'm not growing out juveniles but this is what I do with my adults...feed B/h just before w/c.

...Ralph

NeonTetra
09-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Beef heart is very messy and will foul the water fast. I don't suggest using it with juvies if you're changing water just 3 times weekly. How large is the tank you'll be keeping them in? I hope you're not planning on having a substrate.

I will not have substrate, bare bottom tank, 235 lts (62 gallons)

I'm not growing out juveniles but this is what I do with my adults...feed B/h just before w/c.

...Ralph

You feed them 1 time in the entire day? Or every time you feed BH you do a WC?

Larry Bugg
09-03-2016, 06:42 PM
You are setting yourself up for failure. You stated that your were planning on 6 at 2 1/2" and now you have stated that you are planning on doing water changes 3 times a week. With discus at 2 1/2" you need to be doing daily water changes of at least 50% if you want them to grow out nicely.

NeonTetra
09-03-2016, 07:04 PM
You are setting yourself up for failure. You stated that your were planning on 6 at 2 1/2" and now you have stated that you are planning on doing water changes 3 times a week. With discus at 2 1/2" you need to be doing daily water changes of at least 50% if you want them to grow out nicely.

I thought that with 3 WC per week i was ok :(, so i need to do every day WC of at least 50%, that is when they are young right? When they are bigger that frequency it is the same?
Thank you Larry, i dont want to fail :angel:

Akili
09-03-2016, 07:31 PM
I thought that with 3 WC per week i was ok :(, so i need to do every day WC of at least 50%, that is when they are young right? When they are bigger that frequency it is the same?
Thank you Larry, i dont want to fail :angel:Daily water changes of 50% or more for juveniles and when they are adults then 3 water changes will be fine.Just for a thought, what is the percentage of water change in the Amazon?.

Larry Bugg
09-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Thank you Larry, i dont want to fail :angel:

Yes, daily water changes until they become young adults.

NeonTetra
09-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Yes, daily water changes until they become young adults.

As a meal plan, would you agree to this?

BHx1 (morning)
Pellet+Flakes+FDBkW (mixed in the automatic feeder) x 4
BHx1 (night)

If anyone has feedback, please post it :D

LizStreithorst
09-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Flake will clog an automatic feeder, even the Ehime. Pellets work great in them.

Feed the freeze dried black worm cubes pressed against the glass in the morning. Set the auto feeder to feed a small amount twice during the day. If you are set on beef heart feed it last. Do your WC no more than one hour later.

I agree with all the other smart people. You need to change at least 50% of the tank water daily. There is no such thing as too much good clean water. WC isn't difficult nor time consuming if you set up for large WC from the start.

Akili
09-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Flake will clog an automatic feeder, even the Ehime. Pellets work great in them.

Feed the freeze dried black worm cubes pressed against the glass in the morning. Set the auto feeder to feed a small amount twice during the day. If you are set on beef heart feed it last. Do your WC no more than one hour later.

I agree with all the other smart people. You need to change at least 50% of the tank water daily. There is no such thing as too much good clean water. WC isn't difficult nor time consuming if you set up for large WC from the start.Good plan +1

FishFanMan
09-04-2016, 07:46 PM
If you get an automatic feeder that has an input for a air pump, it won't clog the food to be dispensed because the air will keep the flakes dry.

NeonTetra
09-04-2016, 08:15 PM

I agree with all the other smart people. You need to change at least 50% of the tank water daily. There is no such thing as too much good clean water. WC isn't difficult nor time consuming if you set up for large WC from the start.

Thanks LizStreithorst for your feedback :)

i will do this: 7am: FDBW / 10am: pellets / 1pm: pellets / 4pm: pellets / 7pm: pellets / 9pm: BH / 9:30pm: WC 50%

This should work fine right?

Good plan +1

:thumbsup:

If you get an automatic feeder that has an input for a air pump, it won't clog the food to be dispensed because the air will keep the flakes dry.

LizStreithorst said that even in the Eheim, flakes will clog ( I assume that she has this feeder), the eheim has an air system that keep food dry.
I made some research in the forum and the eheim is one of the most recommended feeders here so i will buy that one.
What feeder do you have FishFanMan? Maybe you have one that works great with flakes and pellets :D?

LizStreithorst
09-04-2016, 08:31 PM
It might depend on the ambient humidity in the room you keep your tank in. Flakes didn't work for me but I was using them in a fish room where the humidity is always high. It might work OK for a single tank in a house. Try it and see!

NeonTetra
09-04-2016, 08:49 PM
It might depend on the ambient humidity in the room you keep your tank in. Flakes didn't work for me but I was using them in a fish room where the humidity is always high. It might work OK for a single tank in a house. Try it and see!

:thumbsup: i will

FishFanMan
09-04-2016, 10:17 PM
I have 3 Fish Mate F14 feeders. Been using then during my vacations. Works perfectly. Impossible to overfeed and as never clogged using an air pump connected to them. But my house is air conditioned. If yours is not, I can't say for sure that it will keep it clog free.

DISCUS STU
09-06-2016, 10:31 AM
If they readily eat this and the protein content is high 40%+ you may be able to get away with it if this is all you can do. So a combination of the Sera Discus Granulat with beefheart sounds good.

My fish WON'T EAT New Life Spectrum Discus Formula and the new Omega One Discus Bits, they just spit them out, but will eat the Hikari Discus Bio Gold and Tetra Bits products.