PDA

View Full Version : Time it takes to change water

William1
09-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Back in the day, in college age and far too long after probably, I used to use music to time how long I did things. I would stretch for one side of an album, I'm talking back in the day when you had a vinyl disc spinning under a stylus with big speakers with foam on the outside, a side of an album usually being about twenty minutes. Stretch for one side of an album, then go play sports. Or do homework for two sides of an album. Love that Grateful Dead back in the day. So, as a blast to the past I timed my water changing routine to Led Zepplin. I was able to change 20 gallons in the time it takes to play, from Led Zepplin 1, 'I cant quit you baby' and before the end of 'How many more times'. Dude, that's only about ten minutes. That rocks.

LizStreithorst
09-01-2016, 08:03 PM
My WC is fast. I listen do NPR while I'm doing mine I have a ton of tanks, mostly 100's, 120's and 60 wide's as well as many smaller tanks They all get a huge WC every day. It takes around 45 minutes. and I vacuum by bottoms by hand, It's easy for me to make it fast because I set it up to be able to do it fast.

Martin in China
09-01-2016, 08:47 PM
I change about 50-70% water every day which takes me about 10-15 minutes to drain (vacuuming the bottom) from my bare tank. I never checked how long it takes to refill, I slowly (very slowly) let the water run into the tank, while watching some TV on do anything else, until my DIY water level alarm lets me know that it's about time to stop the water, that alarm makes my life a lot easier ;)

William1
09-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Anyone has ten minutes. What else takes ten minutes to do. I change 20 twice a day in a 120, about 100G of water probably. Have to. These fish make a mess. It's like a kitty litter box. If it takes two tunes to do it each time, I can handle that. Rock on.

Neptune
09-02-2016, 11:27 AM
What's a stylus? LOL..
BUT man you folks are quick! By the time I drag the hose out, etc, I think I have 30 minutes into a WC. But it is my stress relieve first thing when I get home so I don't mind, and it keeps my out of the fridge before dinner!!

Clawhammer
09-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Just bought this today... I am hopeful this will shave a significant amount of time off of my WC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YQUBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to use it to drain the tank, then reverse it to fill the tank back up from the aging barrel.

Neptune
09-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Just bought this today... I am hopeful this will shave a significant amount of time off of my WC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YQUBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to use it to drain the tank, then reverse it to fill the tank back up from the aging barrel.

how do you plan to reverse it? Unscrew the hoses or reverse the motor?

Clawhammer
09-02-2016, 01:55 PM
how do you plan to reverse it? Unscrew the hoses or reverse the motor?

Yes, I am going to put a ball valve on each side of the pump, close them off so no water drains from the hoses, flip around the pump, and open the ball valves and restart the pump. I am also going to place quick connect adapters on both ends so I don't have to unscrew anything.

Neptune
09-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Some pumps can go in both directions. You can wire them to a relay or a switch. Would save a lot of monkey business if your pump is capable.

DJW
09-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Or... if you already have the pump you can plumb a loop around the pump and do it with valves.

Clawhammer
09-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas Dan and Neptune, you are getting my wheels turning :) Should be fun figuring it out!

Neptune
09-02-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm just thinking you are so close with the pump, but what a PITA to shut valves and unscrew/screw hoses.
I'm in the same boat, I have an impeller pump coming, I'm hoping I can just turn it off and let the water reverse through the impeller as a siphon..

Clawhammer
09-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Here is what I came up with utilizing 3 Y-adapter ball valves

DanDiscus
09-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Question : is brass OK for discus ?

I am learning about Discus, but have many years of marine reef and we can not use any brass or copper. I see in that pump 2 brass pieces.

Thanks for teaching me !

LizStreithorst
09-05-2016, 03:13 PM
yes

DanDiscus
09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
yes

Good to know it. Thank you !!!

chaoslite
09-06-2016, 02:12 AM

Oh are you going to love that. I use that to drain mine into 55 gallon drums so that I can water my yard with the waste water.

Mishka