PDA

View Full Version : Youngest you would use PP

RogueDiscus
09-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Just wondering how old fry need to be before using PP. I've had the one-month die off at some times in the past, probably due to water quality, but the flukes question often comes up too. If they're 1"+ would you use PP? Hope I don't never need to, but just wondering.

100fuegos
09-03-2016, 08:27 PM
I have used PP on fry as young as ten day free swimming. You have to be very carful with the dose. Really not recommended, you better cull the lot and clean the parents.

Keith Perkins
09-03-2016, 08:49 PM
I have used it at a month for sure and I'm sure a little earlier. At that age about the most they will tolerate well in 1.5 ppm though.

Larry Bugg
09-03-2016, 09:06 PM
I would cull the batch and treat the parents.

RogueDiscus
09-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys. So far my current batch at 1" is showing no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wc, Wc, Wc...

MD.David
09-04-2016, 05:46 PM
I have seen smaller Malaysian breeders Use alder cones and make the water look like coffee.
However if your fighting with a parasite not bacterial then you are doomed, you need to clean the parents!
There are a handful of regiments I have read and tried, fluke solve is ok with triple the regiment time length or wormer plus and triple the regiment back to back. Basically they are attempting to wipe out all parasites thru the life cycle of the parasite. I would say diligents is the key here and keep knocking the parasite down till its eradicated.
As far as bacterial I would coffee the water with alder cones, PP is a flash in the pan solution to knock down the parasite population but for young grow outs I personally haven't had much luck when they get abit sick, note all the very experienced breeders here are saying once they get sick cull, clean up parents and give it another go, seems they have experienced the same results and know the outcome will be better to start over.