PDA

View Full Version : Rearranging my 95 gallon tank and stocking suggestion

alex97
09-07-2016, 01:16 AM
I decided to remove the soil substrate from my tank since its hard to do water change as the poop stuck beneath the substrate.
I wanna make it bare bottom with some lava rock and stick moss plants with it. I have nerite snails that pretty good at eating all brown algae on my tank but they keep laying eggs that stick to glass.

I'm thinking of get some brushmouth pleco to replace snails but i heard many story of them sucking slime at discus body.Should i get this fish? Are there any other option to get rid of algae? .

Ryan925
09-07-2016, 01:32 AM
I've seen many that say BNP have no issues with their discus. Others can develop a taste for the slime coat at random.

I had a large sailfin pleco that never bothered my discus but pooped up a storm.

Otos love diatoms and seem to work night and day.

Typically once your tank is well established the diatoms go away on their own anyway

alex97
09-07-2016, 01:44 AM
Well the tank has been setup for 3 months and it still there. Its not heavily planted,should be safe right? Will BN pleco bother other fish at night?

Kyla
09-07-2016, 07:58 AM
the truth is that any pleco can suck on a fish's slime coat, but only some discover this food source. so there is always a risk of this happening if u add plecos to ur tank but with some plecos it never happens. once a pleco realizes it can do this it is no longer safe to house it with any deep bodied or slow moving fish. keep ur plecos well fed and that will hopefully discourage them from latching onto ur discus. watch ur discus closely for marks on their flanks if u do decide to add plecos, as the sucking may occur at night when the lights r out and u cant see it taking place. and be prepared to rehome ur plecos if they start latching

alex97
09-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Im prepared of rehoming plecos. Im just afraid it will bother my juvenile discus at night or stress them out . If i can find a solution of getting rid of my snail eggs,maybe i will reconsider getting pleco

bluelagoon
09-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Well the tank has been setup for 3 months and it still there. Its not heavily planted,should be safe right? Will BN pleco bother other fish at night?

Altho,we say a tank is cycled at 4-6 weeks,that may be true of the cycle but it takes months and months for an established tank to run it's course.The diatoms will go away.BN plecos are a good choice and very peaceful.

jmf3460
09-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Im prepared of rehoming plecos. Im just afraid it will bother my juvenile discus at night or stress them out . If i can find a solution of getting rid of my snail eggs,maybe i will reconsider getting pleco

I have 3 ancistrus plecos and one clown plecos in with my 6 wild discus. been over a year now and no problems what so ever. if you keep your pleco's well fed, they will not go searching for discus to eat.

alex97
09-07-2016, 11:29 AM
I will purchase BN pleco from my trusted LFS tomorrow .Im a bit worried though, i read lots of threads and it seems like some never had issue with pleco while for others its was a nightmare

I have 3 ancistrus plecos and one clown plecos in with my 6 wild discus. been over a year now and no problems what so ever. if you keep your pleco's well fed, they will not go searching for discus to eat.

I have SERA catfish chip,can i use that as staple diet?

jmf3460
09-07-2016, 11:31 AM
just make sure its an ancistrus species and not a rubberlip pleco as they are often confused in LFS stores. a true ancistrus will have the bristles on his nose, if he is a male that is. if you keep them fed on algae chips, pellets and fresh veggies you wont have any worries.