PDA

View Full Version : Discus head shape

alex97
09-10-2016, 03:20 AM
Is this normal ? http://imgur.com/a/ieZsL

Discus_Fan_bln
09-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Hello Alex,

this is an inherited mutation that is popular among some breeders and owners of Discus. Such lines are called "bulldog" and also sold under this name. Whether one likes it or not, as always in life, is a matter of taste.

Best regards,
René

Larry Bugg
09-10-2016, 08:23 AM
This is not a bulldog. While some bulldogs do have a dip in the head a little like this one does, a bull dog had a very shortened body making it look very high bodied. Whether this discus is genetically affected or is this way from something in it's upbringing I can't say but it is not what we expect with a typical discus. The forehead should be more rounded and not take that dip.

alex97
09-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Will this create health problem in the future?

LizStreithorst
09-10-2016, 08:40 AM
no

Discus_Fan_bln
09-10-2016, 09:10 AM
This is not a bulldog. While some bulldogs do have a dip in the head a little like this one does, a bull dog had a very shortened body making it look very high bodied. Whether this discus is genetically affected or is this way from something in it's upbringing I can't say but it is not what we expect with a typical discus. The forehead should be more rounded and not take that dip.

That's absolutly right! What I actually wanted to say is that the depicted fish's head looks kind of like a "bulldog". The characteristics of that "line" are (of course) inheritable. That's why I was guessing, that this fish could show a mutation which is part of the specifical "bulldog"-set. But that's just guessing - I should have been more accurate.

Cheers!

alex97
09-10-2016, 09:42 AM
phew im glad, I thought he was sick

DISCUS STU
09-16-2016, 02:21 PM
No, it kinda looks like a cartoon where someone took a big rubber mallet and whacked the head in. Unfortunately unlike a cartoon the deformed area won't "bounce" back. This fish is sickly and deformed and also seems to have some type of fin rot or fungus on its tail. The eye is also deformed in the same way and this is either genetic and the fish shouldn't be sold to the unsuspecting hobbyist or some type of diet deficiency. Either way it's a poor example.

Judging from the environment, these all look look like Discus commonly found in chain stores like Petco. They normally have this type of assortment consisting of Pigeon Bloods (the one pictured), Blue Diamonds, Snakeskins etc.

Clawhammer
09-16-2016, 04:13 PM
I don't agree that the fish is sickly, or that that claim can be made from this one picture. The tail does not appear to be rotted, just at an angle. The other tankmates that can be seen from the front don't look emaciated and the environment looks clean and suitable to me.

LizStreithorst
09-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Granted, this Discus should not be used for breeding, but it has good qualities as well. If all the fish is for is to look at in a display tank I see no problem with it. Looks like ammonia burns on the caudal. That's no big deal and gets better with good care and adequate WC.

Larry Bugg
09-16-2016, 07:31 PM
I agree with all Liz's points.

DISCUS STU
09-17-2016, 09:08 AM
I revise my earlier post and believe the above points to be valid and this fish may not be sickly but genetically deformed though basically healthy with a little blemish on its tail. While not necessarily a good candidate for breeding it may grow to be a good healthy fish given the right care.

I once saw two 6" Discus in a lfs that had two large circular areas the size of quarters, (1.25"/2.5 mm) missing from the area between the dorsal and the caudal fin. Definitely genetically deformed and apparently siblings but both were large full grown fish and looked to be basically healthy. They were a very strange sight indeed.

bluelagoon
09-17-2016, 09:29 AM
The comments about breeding deformed discus;well I'm all for it,but it seems to me that breeders are doing this on purpose to get bull dogs,angle fins and shark fins and even sell them at very high prices.This is making the gene pool even larger for this to get into blood lines.

DISCUS STU
09-17-2016, 10:32 AM
The comments about breeding deformed discus;well I'm all for it,but it seems to me that breeders are doing this on purpose to get bull dogs,angle fins and shark fins and even sell them at very high prices.This is making the gene pool even larger for this to get into blood lines.

Aesthetics are relative as one person's "Frankenfish" or grotesque may be another person's favorite new flavor.

bluelagoon
09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
I guess then,to some people the discus in question may look awesome and want to breed the long nose for aesthetics.

DISCUS STU
09-18-2016, 08:41 AM
I guess then,to some people the discus in question may look awesome and want to breed the long nose for aesthetics.

So it goes.