PDA

View Full Version : How do you match temperature during water change without an aging barrel?

s2002
09-14-2016, 11:00 PM
Winter is Coming m'lords and m'ladies.

Although I live in Southern California, even here the day time temperature can drop to about 50-60 degrees.

I currently don't have an aging barrel (and I'm trying to resist getting one as it will add an extra step to the water changing process). My current water change routine uses a garden hose from the yard to dump tap water directly into tank. I do 3 water changes a week with 70% wc.

If you don't have an aging barrel, how do you match the water temperature? I don't think I need to match it EXACTLY, but I want to at least get the water to 70 degrees before adding it in. Some ideas I've had so far:

Add in more/bigger heaters so water heats up quickly regardless of how cold it is. I currently have two of these 200 Watt Aqueon Pro Heater (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FSVQE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in my 60 gallon but I'm willing to upgrade.
Get some small buckets of hot water from the bathroom to balance out the cold water from the yard. I read somewhere that hot water isn't good for discus because our water heater or hot water pipes have lead or heavy metals in it. Is this true?
Get two 5 gallon bottles and store the water indoors. Although it will still not be super warm, it will at least provide 10 gallons of water that will balance out the much colder ourdoors waters.

Would love your general opinions! Also any recommendations for the best (safe, powerful, and fast to heat) heater I can get for the 60 gallon would be welcome as well.

two utes
09-14-2016, 11:20 PM
I don't have an ageing barrel and the reason l only do 30% water changes. This way my temp' doesn't change by more than 3 degrees

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Rather than use a garden hose from outside get yourself a faucet adaptor inside. I use my kitchen faucet. I run the water and use a thermometer to match the temp then start filling. Usually is within a degree of desired temp

Akili
09-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Get an adapter that converts your kitchen tap to take the garden hose. Adjust your hot water/cold water mix to match the tank temperature.......................http://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-Solid-Brass-Dual-Thread-for-3-4-in-Hose-or-Male-55-64-in-Adapter-37-0109-98/202243060

s2002
09-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Do you do daily 30%?

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Get an adapter that converts your kitchen tap to take the garden hose. Adjust your hot water/cold water mix to match the tank temperature.......................http://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-Solid-Brass-Dual-Thread-for-3-4-in-Hose-or-Male-55-64-in-Adapter-37-0109-98/202243060

Beat you to it Akili ;)

s2002
09-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Do you do daily 30% two utes? That's a rather elegant soulution. Thanks!

Rather than use a garden hose from outside get yourself a faucet adaptor inside. I use my kitchen faucet. I run the water and use a thermometer to match the temp then start filling. Usually is within a degree of desired temp

Ah never heard of this before. Thank you!

Thank you for the link! Can't believe my problems can be solved by a $5 gadget. I love this forum!

Two questions for you Ryan and Akili:

Is there danger of leak or is the seal pretty strong?

Also, there's no danger of using hot water from our water heater? (i.e. no harmful lead or heavy metals?)

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 11:43 PM
The adaptor will have regular old house threads no different from your faucet. You don't even need a garden hose you could get some vinyl tubing so it can be rolled up neatly.. Myself I use a python can both drain and fill into the sink

As far as water heater goes there shouldn't be anything unwanted in your hot water. Not that isn't in your other pipes already anyway

Akili
09-14-2016, 11:47 PM
No leaks in over thirty years of usage,and I fill my aging barrels with hot water mix in both summer and winter and never had any issues with heavy metal either which I think is negligible.

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 11:50 PM
There are a few different adaptors depending on faucet type. Most are pretty much universal

two utes
09-14-2016, 11:53 PM
Do you do daily 30%?

I've only ever done 30% water changes every 3rd or 4th day for my group of juveniles that l purchased at around 2 inches. They are now at around 5 inches at a little over 8 months old

s2002
09-15-2016, 12:25 AM
The adaptor will have regular old house threads no different from your faucet. You don't even need a garden hose you could get some vinyl tubing so it can be rolled up neatly.. Myself I use a python can both drain and fill into the sink

Thank you so much Ryan. You are always so awesome with the pictures which is great because I learn best with pictures. I really appreciate it!

No leaks in over thirty years of usage,and I fill my aging barrels with hot water mix in both summer and winter and never had any issues with heavy metal either which I think is negligible.

Thanks Akili! Can't argue with 30 years of experience. Awesome!

I've only ever done 30% water changes every 3rd or 4th day for my group of juveniles that l purchased at around 2 inches. They are now at around 5 inches at a little over 8 months old

What is your secret? I thought that's too little water change for growing discus? Do you do something special to keep your water clean that normal people don't do? I'd love to learn your ways.

two utes
09-15-2016, 12:34 AM
What is your secret? I thought that's too little water change for growing discus? Do you do something special to keep your water clean that normal people don't do? I'd love to learn your ways.

I don't think that 30% water changes every 3 to 4 days are too little. It is important to keep the water clean, and l don't overfeed my fish.

If you like you can check out my thread with more information here

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119095-Getting-back-into-Discus

Ryan925
09-15-2016, 12:39 AM
I don't think that 30% water changes every 3 to 4 days are too little. It is important to keep the water clean, and l don't overfeed my fish.

If you like you can check out my thread with more information here

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119095-Getting-back-into-Discus

And two utes your fish are beautiful. I think I had been under feeding mine. For the size I'd love to see those nice thick bodies like yours

two utes
09-15-2016, 12:52 AM
And two utes your fish are beautiful. I think I had been under feeding mine. For the size I'd love to see those nice thick bodies like yours

Thanks for that Ryan. Much appreciated. They still have lots of growing to do too....yours and mine both :D

Ryan925
09-15-2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks for that Ryan. Much appreciated. They still have lots of growing to do too....yours and mine both :D

Mine are definitely starting to thicken up but yours look so wide for their length. Amazing shape and pattern.

I really want to do a grow out next. Waiting until I move so I have an excuse for a larger tank lol

two utes
09-15-2016, 12:59 AM
I really want to do a grow out next. Waiting until I move so I have an excuse for a larger tank lol

I really do believe that this is the best way Ryan. Lots of satisfaction seeing the progress under your own control. Good luck with it

Sorry to take this off topic s2002

Ryan925
09-15-2016, 01:08 AM
I really do believe that this is the best way Ryan. Lots of satisfaction seeing the progress under your own control. Good luck with it

Sorry to take this off topic s2002

Same here s2002. How easily threads go sideways.

Let us know how the wc issue goes. I'm in norcal. Don't really have to heat the water much now but I'm sure that will be changing soon

NeonTetra
09-15-2016, 02:43 PM
[LIST]
Get some small buckets of hot water from the bathroom to balance out the cold water from the yard. I read somewhere that hot water isn't good for discus because our water heater or hot water pipes have lead or heavy metals in it. Is this true?

I hope this answer your question (stendker international breeder of discus):
http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/plugins_en/pdfs/3.4.1_Wasserwechsel_mit_dem_Schlauch_en.pdf

atlantadiscus
09-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Stendker is in Germany,maybe their hot water heaters over there are copper based- every one I have ever seen in the USA is steel drum with a glass inner liner,so that advise on not using hot water probably does not carry over here-I have been blending water out of my faucet to match my aquariums water temp to within 1 degree F during water changes for 50 years without issue.

Interesting how little water changes Stendker recommends to keep their Discus happy and healthy though.

Patrick@1
09-16-2016, 07:07 AM
If you are adding you water from a hose straight to you tank with no aging barrel how do you add the chemicals to remove chlorine. In the tank before adding water? Or after water is added?

two utes
09-16-2016, 08:42 AM
If you are adding you water from a hose straight to you tank with no aging barrel how do you add the chemicals to remove chlorine. In the tank before adding water? Or after water is added?

I add the correct dosage of prime straight into my tank after it has been refilled straight from the tap

NeonTetra
09-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Stendker is in Germany,maybe their hot water heaters over there are copper based- every one I have ever seen in the USA is steel drum with a glass inner liner,so that advise on not using hot water probably does not carry over here-I have been blending water out of my faucet to match my aquariums water temp to within 1 degree F during water changes for 50 years without issue.

You have a point atlantadiscus.
I think this also apply to pipes, cooper pipes (cooper kills bacteria, so if you past your water through them water is safer...) are very common over the world, also any metal pipe produces metal waste through the years (but i think that they must be very tiny to consider them). I think that is why Stendker recommend this :)

Kyla
09-17-2016, 01:32 AM
re: the hot water tank

rust and junk can accumulate in the bottoms of old hot water tanks. my hot water tank is quite new but to be sure the water in my hot water tank was of good quality i drained the tank into a container to see what the water looked like. it was super simple. i just attached one end of a hose to the little outlet in this pic (bottom) and put the other end of the hose in a bucket. there is a screw above the outlet that i loosened and the water ran out clear and thats what i wanted to see. however, my friend did the same thing and drained her hot water tank and her water came out ORANGE from rust!! (she ended up getting a new hot water tank after that). so it might be a good idea to check your tank if its older.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/kylasfish/Mobile%20Uploads/18DF95C1-A718-4072-9313-508A3E1D774C_zpsgimpcutj.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/kylasfish/media/Mobile%20Uploads/18DF95C1-A718-4072-9313-508A3E1D774C_zpsgimpcutj.jpg.html)

Ryan925
09-17-2016, 01:33 AM
You most definitely should flush any water heater/boiler on a yearly basis. Failure to do so will cause short life or leaking water heater/boiler

Kyla
09-17-2016, 01:39 AM
i drain from the bottom to check the water clarity. but also that valve at the top of the long tube has a tag on it that says to flush it yearly. plus "naturally occurring mineral deposits may adhere" so draining also ensures the temp and pressure relief valve operates properly (to relieve pressure in the tank if needed)

Kyla
09-17-2016, 01:44 AM
re: dechlorinator

i add dechlorinator right into the stream of water as im refilling the tank. when adding it this way you must add enough dechlorinator to treat the entire volume of the tank, not just the amount of water that u changed.

Ryan925
09-17-2016, 01:50 AM
I dump prime directly below the tip of my python then fill once I have matched temp. Never have any problems. Often my fish hand out where tap water is flowing in

Bc chick
09-18-2016, 12:24 AM
I hope this answer your question (stendker international breeder of discus):
http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/plugins_en/pdfs/3.4.1_Wasserwechsel_mit_dem_Schlauch_en.pdf

thats nice but my problem is overflowing lol.....