PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out

RogueDiscus
09-21-2016, 01:58 PM
The blues are the breeding pair I'm currently working with. Here they are in with my snow whites, recovering after their last batch.

https://youtu.be/Lf48Ng5m76Y

Phillydubs
09-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Nice Steve, does that one always get so dark in breeding mode?

How does it work out with the 4 of them in there?

RogueDiscus
09-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Hi Phil, thanks for looking.
The 4-some is a short term arrangement, but it's actually going very well. I moved the blues out of their previous breeding tank after 2+ weeks of carrying over 100 fry :) I started with the egg crate you see between the 2 pairs for a couple days. They seemed to accept each other and I removed the EC after the last water change. I'll probably end up moving the snow whites so the blues can use this 55 for their next spawn. Need more tanks... :)

Generally, yes, he gets darker. The lighting's not ideal, and as I mentioned, he's just been through it! You can find other pics of him in my blues thread. He's my 2nd oldest fish. I bought him as a high-body snakeskin juvie from Kenny in 2011. He's well over 7" now. The one time I puled him out to measure(7+) he cut half his caudal fin off on the glass top on the way back into the tank. It's grown back nicely. These days he's probably a classic strain, compared to all the new ones out there, but he's a favorite and I'm trying to get the most out of him.