PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for medicine to quarantine

Goon
09-21-2016, 06:58 PM
ive been searching for medicine as listed on the quarantine guide here on forums but the results are really broad, i was thinking bout use general care by API i was wondering would that be good enough since its kind of a all in one type of medicine or if anyone could list some products they personally use that would be great

Larry Bugg
09-21-2016, 07:03 PM
There is no reason to medicate in QT. You should only medicate when there is a actual problem.

Akili
09-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Here is what I used........................http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/general_info/quarantine_procedures.shtml

Goon
09-21-2016, 07:52 PM
what about tape worms? since their not visible to see should i still give the fish that is being quarantine medicine anyways?

Larry Bugg
09-21-2016, 08:44 PM
what about tape worms? since their not visible to see should i still give the fish that is being quarantine medicine anyways?

Are you buying them from a reliable source?? If yes, then why would you treat for tape worms or anything else. Only treat if you see a problem. The only exception I would offer to this would be if you were getting wilds.

LizStreithorst
09-21-2016, 08:59 PM
I absolutely do not agree with that advice. That post is 14 years old and should be removed. No meds are necessary during QT unless you see a problem. If you buy from a sponsor no problems should be seen. The hard work will have all been done for you.

Poppa Ryno
09-21-2016, 09:31 PM
ive been searching for medicine as listed on the quarantine guide here on forums but the results are really broad, i was thinking bout use general care by API i was wondering would that be good enough since its kind of a all in one type of medicine or if anyone could list some products they personally use that would be great

The above comments are correct. No need for meds in QT, but if your quarantining because the fish is ill, then i suggest the triple threat. Kanaplex, furan2 & prazipro.it treats gram -, gram+, and some parisites. Just my opinion & has worked well for me.

Goon
09-21-2016, 11:11 PM
i just got some corydoras from a lfs, currently quarantining atm. i definitely wont use any meds untill i see abnormal signs. Thanks for the advice yall

DISCUS STU
09-22-2016, 11:03 AM
I use to add meds. to everything in QT but lately have been doing this only if I'm in doubt as to the source.

Occasionally I impulse buy from lfs's / lps's and you MUST assume that there will be something from fish coming from these sources.

My qt meds are Metro at .5 grams per 10 gals. for a minimum of 6 days and PraziPro (Praziquental) for 10 days to kill flukes and internal parasites.

After resting the fish for a few days after this is done I will add Levamisol.